PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels to Brady: "We are not changing a thing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: McDaniels to Brady: 'We are not changing a thing'

There are no blueprints in sports. Those are just crazy theories. Bottom line is you have to have the personnel to win.

Brady is our best player. The key to our team - our biggest weapon. The Giants have a weak secondary, an average QB and an average overall offense with a slightly above average running game. The Giants knew they could not let Brady sit back and throw and put their entire plan into going after Brady. They happen to have the personnel to do it. Our OL is good/great even against power, but we have always had issues against speed; Colts, Philly, Giants, Dallas. We cannot get the jump on the ball and that half second kills us. In the regular season against all the teams mentioned above we adjusted with max protection for Brady in the second half of the game. We didn't in the SB!

The Pats played their worst game of the year and were still 35 seconds away from winning it all!

PS The Herald is reporting today that Brady was in SOHO limping around. He is now going to Costa Rica - GOOD! Get the h*ll out of NYC, will ya?

Do you think that McDaniels is still the hot young head coaching candidate?

I would say its time for JM to start interviewing for other positions then.

Everyone in the WORLD could see that the PLAN was NOT good.

Now you are seeing the light........we will see if there is any validity to this.....if Brady realized that the game plan to that point was a train wreck (and gawd knows Brady has better field vision and awareness than anyone) and talked about adjustments needing to be made....and the boy blunder blew him off......He should be held accountable.......But like someone said......"unconfirmed reports".......

Sunday night was the first time that I longed for Charlie Weiss.

NEM? is that you??????

5 sacks, 18 times knocked to the ground, yea all is rosey.

Josh had money on the game.

I heard on ESPN radio that an unnamed or source player on the Pats said that at halftime Brady went to McDaniels and asked about adjustments on the protection and some adjustments in the timing, count. The player said that Josh turned to Brady, rather pissed off and said "No, we have a plan, the plan is good, we are not changing it". Brady did not get pissed or start anything but according the player, Brady lhad stunned look on his face - he looked concerned with the response and lack of change to the plan. The player said that Josh and Tom work great together and are always on the same page and work great as a team, but in this situation Josh wanted to hear nothing.

Now, if this is true and McDaniels was that arrogant and stubborn, it sucks! Tom Brady is the franchise, the best QB/player in the sport and he is looking for some coaching - adjustments and McDaniels is not willing to work on it! Tom was getting his butt kicked all over the place. He takes less money to be on this team and I think he deserves the right to be part of changing the plan when he is getting his arse kicked all over the place.

I really hope this is just some bogus crap story that has not validatity, but I wanted some thoughts...

If this is true then McDaniels better out the door. He got out coached, pure and simple.

I think that hearsay is rediculous. Pretty sure this did not happen. Any coach that knows anything knows that you at least listen with an open mind to suggestions that your best player makes.

Like others out here, I'm pretty suspicious of unnamed sources these days, but I don't need an unnamed source to know that the Offensive game plan was suboptimal and didn't adapt during the game.

Last edited:

I read all the recent offensive threads, especially the one about the poster concerned that he/she isn't sure what happened this time won't happen again.

I think that a common demoninator for our struggles in the playoffs, ever since 2004, is McDaniels.
I'd say that for both of our crushing losses at Denver, at Indy, and against the Giants, there was talk about slow or failed adjustments on offense, and how the offense let us down, or simply 'didn't execute'.

When are people going to finally call this guy out?

It's Belichick's responsibility to make executive decisions not only during the course of a game if he is not happy, but also during the week (2 weeks in the most recent case of failure) of game planning and strategizing.

The only new source thats reliable is Reiss. Everybody else is shooting in the dark.

The only new source thats reliable is Reiss. Everybody else is shooting in the dark.
I always find it interesting when threads go dead for a month and then all of a sudden reappear. Is there any new information to report about this issue?

I read all the recent offensive threads, especially the one about the poster concerned that he/she isn't sure what happened this time won't happen again.

I think that a common demoninator for our struggles in the playoffs, ever since 2004, is McDaniels.
I'd say that for both of our crushing losses at Denver, at Indy, and against the Giants, there was talk about slow or failed adjustments on offense, and how the offense let us down, or simply 'didn't execute'.

I agree that the common denominator is McDaniels. The fact that he was directly responsible for 5 turnovers including 2 special teams turnovers against the Broncos two years ago is in excusable (and only two were INTs and one was clearly Brady's fault for trying to make a play when he shouldn't). The guy is horrible in coverage too. Did you see how he had no answer to cover Dallas Clark in the AFC Championship game last year. This year he put on a Asante Samuel jersey and dropped a sure TD.

Let's face it. Until Belichick stops playing McDaniels on special teams and defense, we are not going to win a Super Bowl. This guy is an OC. I don't know why Belichick loves him so much that he lets him play special teams and defense.

Glad you didn't even watch those games because anyone who actually did knows there were far more things wrong than our offensive playcalling.

Last edited:

I always find it interesting when threads go dead for a month and then all of a sudden reappear. Is there any new information to report about this issue?

Well, there is something new to report. No one has bashed McDaniels in nearly a month and someone needed to remind us of that.

I agree that the common denominator is McDaniels. The fact that he was directly responsible for 5 turnovers including 2 special teams turnovers against the Broncos two years ago is in excusable (and only two were INTs and one was clearly Brady's fault for trying to make a play when he shouldn't). The guy is horrible in coverage too. Did you see how he had no answer to cover Dallas Clark in the AFC Championship game last year. This year he put on a Asante Samuel jersey and dropped a sure TD.

Let's face it. Until Belichick stops playing McDaniels on special teams and defense, we are not going to win a Super Bowl. This guy is an OC. I don't know why Belichick loves him so much that he lets him play special teams and defense.

Glad you didn't even watch those games because anyone who actually did knows there were far more things wrong than our offensive playcalling.

14 pts with the greatest offense in history. Only 1 injury on the starting to the RG. 2 weeks of preparation. Your sarcastic post does not address this.

When your QB gets sacked or knocked down 20+ times in a game, this is indicative of a moron coach who refuses to change, or lacks the ability to counter. You don't get 20+ sacks and knockdowns without repeatedly calling for 7-step drop passing plays.

It's like with Mike Martz, the guy refused to do what was necessary to win against us in the Superbowl, he kept passing into a brick wall.

Last edited:

When your QB gets sacked or knocked down 20+ times in a game, this is indicative of a moron coach who refuses to change, or lacks the ability to counter.
It's like with Mike Martz, the guy refused to do what was necessary to win against us in the Superbowl, he kept passing into a brick wall.

Or indicative of an offensive line that can't block.

When a team can't cover a TE or ball carries fumble the ball three times with two on special teams, you can't blame the offensive coordinator. When a team breaks most of the regular season passing records, some of the credit goes to the OC.

Funny, I saw the Pats trying to change up the offense quite a bit in that game the problem is the line had trouble blocking on even screen passes and when Brady did have time to throw, many times he was off. It wasn't all on McDaniels. He made his mistakes in that game, but so did a lot of people in execution including Brady.

Belichick has so much trust in McDaniels that he doesn't even watch the offense anymore. He is busy working with the starting defense most of the time. I will take his assessment on McDaniels, who he obviously trusts to run the offense without much input, than people on this board. if McDaniels is really that bad, then Belichick is not as good as a coach as people here think he is because a genius wouldn't let an incompetent coordinator run the offense unchecked.

14 pts with the greatest offense in history. Only 1 injury on the starting to the RG. 2 weeks of preparation. Your sarcastic post does not address this.

With a QB who may have had a far worse ankle injury than let on (at least his personal coach said that his mechanics were off). With an o-line that got outmuscled even on screen passes. Why isn't Daunte Schnarneccia being called out. Or how about a record breaking WR who was almost invisible the entire playoffs.

I'm not saying that McDaniels didn't make mistakes, but he did try a lot of things and his o-line were outmuscled even on screen passes. McDaniels deserves his share of the blame pie, but so do other people.

McDaniels had a perfect gameplan vs. the Jags. He made perfect adjustments against the Chargers. He overcame the fact that Randy Moss was basically taken out of the playoffs. Then people are going to throw every playoff loss since Weis left on McDaniels when this is really the only one you can even remotely assign him significant blame.

I guess you missed Brady's ankle injury and the injury to KYLE Brady as well.

Maybe you should realize that the offense isn't run by ONE person. Its developed by Brady, Belichick and McDaniels. While McDaniels calls in the basic packages, its TOM BRADY'S responsibility to read the defenses, calling out the Mike so that the O-line can make their blocking adjustments. Its also TOM BRADY'S responsibility to call an audible if he needs to change the play to account for what the defense is doing.

So, while McDaniels takes part of the blame, Brady has to take some also. Or are you whiners not able to put responsibility where it belongs because it defeats your purpose?

I guess you missed Brady's ankle injury and the injury to KYLE Brady as well.

Maybe you should realize that the offense isn't run by ONE person. Its developed by Brady, Belichick and McDaniels. While McDaniels calls in the basic packages, its TOM BRADY'S responsibility to read the defenses, calling out the Mike so that the O-line can make their blocking adjustments. Its also TOM BRADY'S responsibility to call an audible if he needs to change the play to account for what the defense is doing.

So, while McDaniels takes part of the blame, Brady has to take some also. Or are you whiners not able to put responsibility where it belongs because it defeats your purpose?

That's far more ridicolous than those blaming McD. The OL was getting beat up in one on one match-ups, that's not Brady's responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes