PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Zappe’s Emergence is Certainly Changing Patriots’ QB Conversation

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Zappe’s Emergence is Certainly Changing Patriots’ QB Conversation
Ian Logue
With just two games left to go and not much left to play for, New England Patriots quarterback Bailey Zappe is quietly doing something that could see the team have to make some interesting decisions this offseason.

The post Zappe’s Emergence is Certainly Changing Patriots’ QB Conversation appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

If Zappe goes 1-1 the rest of the way and continues looking good (including at least a very competitive showing against Buffalo) then you take MHJ, Nabers, Alt or Fashanu, grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd like Penix or Ewers and start Zappe in '24.

If Zappe becomes a pumpkin again and goes 0-2 the rest of the way then you take the QB.

Imagine if Zappe becomes a high level QB in the future (unlikely). Will someone say Belichick knew all about it, was planning to play him in year 2 even if Mac did not suck so bad, cutting him was just about building his mental toughness and that Bill knew all along he would come good?

Imagine if Zappe becomes a high level QB in the future (unlikely). Will someone say Belichick knew all about it, was planning to play him in year 2 even if Mac did not suck so bad, cutting him was just about building his mental toughness and that Bill knew all along he would come good?
I think it would be foolish to say Bill knew all along or he would never have cut him. It really comes down to giving Zappe the tools to succeed and grow, and Zappe eventually doing so and seizing his opportunity. Bill says that it can be hard to get as good of a read on guys when they're not getting as many reps, and there are only so many reps to go around with the current CBA rules. So it's possible Zappe may have looked better with more reps but those reps largely had to go to Mac. In any case, can't really say Bill is a genius - just that he helped create the environment that allowed his guy to develop and gave him the opportunity to step up.

@Ross12 I was being sarcastic lol as everything Bill does (even the bad decisions) is some sort of 4d chess move according to somebody.

Also playing on the narrative that he was going to play Brady in 2001 regardless of Bledsoe's injury.

If Zappe goes 1-1 the rest of the way and continues looking good (including at least a very competitive showing against Buffalo) then you take MHJ, Nabers, Alt or Fashanu, grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd like Penix or Ewers and start Zappe in '24.

If Zappe becomes a pumpkin again and goes 0-2 the rest of the way then you take the QB.
Ewers is returning to TX. Sanders, and Beck also returning which puts this QB class WAY down in terms of quality.

Maccarthy is the one I like if they can get him in rd 2. Penix sucks, and the only other kids who MIGHT be worth developing are Rattler or the Tulane kid.

Read the whole thing. Love ya Ian but the article is a stretch to me.

Dude hit on a bunch of 50/50 balls, held the ball for 3.5 seconds leading to a turnover on the first play, and generally stunk the first half.

So…he still played well for half a game.

Look, I hope I’m dead wrong and he balls out for two weeks…but, I sincerely doubt he has done anything yet to change any minds inside 1 PP.

I'm hoping for Offense help in rd 1 at WR or OL and hopefully grab Nix early in round 2.
Liked the point of the article on changing the conversation....makes it less of a forced imperative to grab a QB in rd 1....but they do need to take one early.

Penix sucks
Just watch him in the playoffs. He’s not the perfect prospect. His four season-ending injuries at Indiana are the notable red flag.

But I consider him a first round talent who may fall because of this.

Just watch him in the playoffs. He’s not the perfect prospect. His four season-ending injuries at Indiana are the notable red flag.
That, he has no mobility, AND TWO stud receivers.

Wash will get boat raced in the playoff IMO

That, he has no mobility, AND TWO stud receivers.

Wash will get boat raced in the playoff IMO
I guess you haven’t watched him. He has always produced in big ways. Even at lowly Indiana. He just couldn’t stay healthy.

And his mobility is decent in the pocket. He is able to buy time.

I’m a big fan.

I read Ian’s piece twice. He only mentions the absence of the bevy of the skill positions. Nothing about the poor OL performance.

When James Ferentz was in he became the worst Patriots OL starter since Mike Arthur in 1994.

Corky would have turtled the rest of the game after what the Zapstah endured.

Mafi replaced Thanksdad and LG drastically improved, from abysmal to poor.

And what to say of quitter Trent Brown? He has quit on the team.

Just read Mike Reiss’s notes after the game.

The fact Zapstah is producing in the Mile High circumstances bespeak a winner who is unfazed.

Yeah the team is not passing on a chance at a top QB prospect in the draft to keep Bailey Zappe as the starter for 2024. Let’s be real… that is not going to happen.

If they were smart they would see what they could get for him in a trade - which should have been done after the Cleveland game last season.

Next season entering camp you have your top rookie prospect + a vet who can start right away + a developmental guy, Jones or Zappe.

Good article @Ian

Zappe's splits as a starter in 2023:

2-2 record, 80-117 attempts, 68.4% completions, 817 yards, 6.98 YPA, 6 TD's/2 INT's, 98.1 QB Rating

Zappe's splits as a starter over his two year career:

4-2 record, 121-172 attempts, 70.4% completions, 1314 yards, 7.64 YPA, 9 TD's/3 INT's, 102.7 QB Rating

He's only made four starts this season, one was in the pouring rain... the Patriots scored the 2nd and 3rd most points they've scored all season in two of those.

He's been playing with a mash unit of offensive linemen, most of his WR's missing, along with his starting HB due to injuries.

Not saying he's earned anything more than a longer look, but he has certainly earned that.

Last edited:
Yeah the team is not passing on a chance at a top QB prospect in the draft to keep Bailey Zappe as the starter for 2024. Let’s be real… that is not going to happen.

If they were smart they would see what they could get for him in a trade - which should have been done after the Cleveland game last season.

Next season entering camp you have your top rookie prospect + a vet who can start right away + a developmental guy, Jones or Zappe.
Zappe is the "vet who can start right away" if he finishes this season strong.

They will bring in another rookie QB to compete regardless.

Mac's the one you trade, Zappe's the one you keep.

Last edited:

But I consider him a first round talent who may fall because of this.
Agreed, if the Pats went OT with the first pick and picked up Penix in the 3rd/4th round it would be great value based off injury. Shades of Hendon Hooker with Detroit in the last draft.

Last edited:

Take another QB either way, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
We don't know why Mac was starting. BB was also the guy who drafted Zappe. He has a depth chart and a process, if he thought Mac deserved three full seasons, then it's on him.

Mike Shanahan once said you don't know what you have at QB until year three. BB just said in his presser a day ago that Brady didn't become Brady until year three as a starter (2003). It's an old school concept I guess... player development.

BB might also have been talked into it by his boss who really wanted Obie back, who knows. Maybe BB wanted to pull Mac months/a year ago but was talked out of it and was told he'd have all the time he needed to pass Shula regardless of the outcome. Pure speculation on my part...

Either way, if Zappe becomes a great QB next season... will anyone care about this one?

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back