PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marquise Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bethel Johnson is more of a bust than Hill, but he is up there...

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:

Whaaaaaat?

PatsSteve1 said:
I think it said a lot that Mike Wright, an undrafted FA, was active all year and got playing time while Hill wasn't active hardly all year. It's true Wright could play inside and Hill has 3 DE's ahead of him. But even in limited playing time Hill has shown just about nothing yet.
The only reason for that was Wright played on special teams, Hill did not..Hill was also injured early in the year..quite under the radar..so??? Bust..too early for that..this year progress is a must..and that could make the D line even stronger!!.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can label a guy a bust that hasn't had the opportunity to start. Green is the first reserve at DE and he has proven his worth and has a new contract to back it up. Theres no way Hill starts over him at this point. Hill is in the same situation as Banta-Cain in that there are trusted veterans ahead of him and baring injury he will not have a opportunity to develop. Hill's situation is worse in that he does not contribute to special teams and backs up only DE only.
From what I have seen Hill is very stout at the point of attack and seems to be a good run stopper. In my opinion you could put him in starting lineup surround him with veterans and he would hold his own and be a force againts the run. What he seems to lack is quickness the ability to seperate from blockers and pash rushing abilities. His long arms are could be a asset in blocking passes. The guy needs to learn to use his arms to keep blockers off him and be a little less lethargic. I wonder if he would be better off as a nose tackle given his limitations as a pass rusher. Also of note isn't Hill taking medicine for a bipolar disorder? If so this may be affecting his play.

Yep..fully agaree...

Drafted Early/Saban System

Hill would have been a #1 if he stayed senior year. He was raw and I agree this should be the year he blossoms. Even if he doesn't he is a big body and cheap and the Pats like that so unless he really stinx up the joint he could surpass Green this year even though I like Green too but it is possible

Ridiculous.
BJ has played in many games and scored TDs both on special teams and as a WR. Remember the Titans? While BJ, a 2nd round pick may well ALSO be a bust he's contributed far more and played far more minutes than #2 pick Hill who cannot even make the game day roster while as Steve points out Wright can.

This is a produce or be cut season for both players. BJ has it slightly easier because of the present paucity of young experienced bodies at WR.

But you have to at least question the pick. At that time the Pats already had Seymour, Warren,Green and had just picked up Wilfork in round one. So if they pick up another 6-6 300lbs on the D-Line, there has to have been some intention behind him and if you still can`t tell 2 years after that then maybe it`s time to say the pick is a bust. He has one more year to prove it but right now he hasn`t shown anything at all. This organization has made some great decisions but this was not one of them.

JLIS24 said:
But you have to at least question the pick. At that time the Pats already had Seymour, Warren,Green and had just picked up Wilfork in round one. So if they pick up another 6-6 300lbs on the D-Line, there has to have been some intention behind him and if you still can`t tell 2 years after that then maybe it`s time to say the pick is a bust. He has one more year to prove it but right now he hasn`t shown anything at all. This organization has made some great decisions but this was not one of them.

Exactly. They took Hill at a well stocked position because somehow they saw potential GREATNESS and could not pass it up. That's BB's stated philosophy. Sadly, that potential has not shown one whit over 2 years.

Saban sold BB on Hill. Maybe he was thinking ahead to Miami? :)

Last edited:
JLIS24 said:
No you do NOT have to at least question it. I don't..it makes much sense to me. Yes, they had an opportunity to draft a big DE in the 2nd round..a GOOD opportunity to get a solid pick...a young pick a project..a player who stayed in school would have been drafted higher. SO opportunity to take a DLineman..there is nothing at all wrong with that for a SB Champion to do.
That is your take on questioning the pick and saying bust..your rules...two years or a bust..and frankly, I find that quite laughable.Very judgemental and possibly very wrong.

The time to judge a bust is usually after the thrid training camp. Hill is an exception since he was drafted early, with an extra year on his contract. I don't think it will be time until next year. With regard to last year, he was a contributer in short yardage situations. And with regard to need, we absolutely need five starting quality defensive linemen to rotate, so that we can continue to ahve one of the best DL's in the game. And obviously. we need five in case of injury. In addition, we need a backup NT to give Wilfork an occasional rest. Wright now fills that role.

IMHO, we should be signing an ADDITIONAL defensive lineman to replace Klecko/Thomas and compete with Hill and Wright for reps. And/or we could use an upgrade over Wright.

We have been ignoring these roster spots. However, if Hill is still a developmental player, and therefore a roster lock, we have Klecko, Thomas and Wright competing for two roster spots. I would be fine with two additions instead. These two are among the weakest say 10 links in the 53 man squad.

Pats726 said:
No you do NOT have to at least question it. I don't..it makes much sense to me. Yes, they had an opportunity to draft a big DE in the 2nd round..a GOOD opportunity to get a solid pick...a young pick a project..a player who stayed in school would have been drafted higher. SO opportunity to take a DLineman..there is nothing at all wrong with that for a SB Champion to do.
That is your take on questioning the pick and saying bust..your rules...two years or a bust..and frankly, I find that quite laughable.Very judgemental and possibly very wrong.

mgteich said:
IMHO, we should be signing an ADDITIONAL defensive lineman to replace Klecko/Thomas and compete with Hill and Wright for reps. And/or we could use an upgrade over Wright.

We have been ignoring these roster spots. However, if Hill is still a developmental player, and therefore a roster lock, we have Klecko, Thomas and Wright competing for two roster spots. I would be fine with two additions instead. These two are among the weakest say 10 links in the 53 man squad.
No question..if we can find a NT backup THAt would be big...as well as another DLineman...can really NEVER have enough good ones!!
INjuries hit and..everyone is working too much. Rotations are much better. Hill was injured..I believe in Pitts..this should be an interesting year for him.
Klecko/Thomas..absolutely need upgrades.

mgteich said:
The time to judge a bust is usually after the thrid training camp. Hill is an exception since he was drafted early, with an extra year on his contract. I don't think it will be time until next year. With regard to last year, he was a contributer in short yardage situations. And with regard to need, we absolutely need five starting quality defensive linemen to rotate, so that we can continue to ahve one of the best DL's in the game. And obviously. we need five in case of injury. In addition, we need a backup NT to give Wilfork an occasional rest. Wright now fills that role.

No doubt. This team defines itself through its Defensaive Line. So additional talent always helps. The point I was trying to make (and others too) was that right now he hasn`t done enough to justify his draft spot 2 years ago. It hasn`t yet paid dividends. Maybe it will in the future. We will see

Hello, first post here.

mgteich said:
Hill is an exception since he was drafted early, with an extra year on his contract.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. If I remember correctly, the reports on Hill when he was drafted were that if he had stayed in school for another year, he probably would've become a top 15 pick. While coming out a year early has given him a head start on learning our schemes, the limited PT and injuries last season hurt him in terms of taking another step closer to what Belichick and Pioli see in him.

It's definately too early to call him a bust.

Ahriman said:
Hello, first post here.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. If I remember correctly, the reports on Hill when he was drafted were that if he had stayed in school for another year, he probably would've become a top 15 pick. While coming out a year early has given him a head start on learning our schemes, the limited PT and injuries last season hurt him in terms of taking another step closer to what Belichick and Pioli see in him.

It's definately too early to call him a bust.

I agree fully, but I do think he must show some glimmer this year. He does need to step it up into the next level. I think that BB is more than willing to let him take the opportunity. He just needs to do it.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Ridiculous.
BJ has played in many games and scored TDs both on special teams and as a WR. Remember the Titans? While BJ, a 2nd round pick may well ALSO be a bust he's contributed far more and played far more minutes than #2 pick Hill who cannot even make the game day roster while as Steve points out Wright can.

This is a produce or be cut season for both players. BJ has it slightly easier because of the present paucity of young experienced bodies at WR.

No slick, you're the dud on this...Johnson is just dumb.

If he was legit, than he would have passed Givens on the depth chart. He is prolly 1 step ahead of Donald Hayes as far as intelligence goes.

Yes, he is fast. But also, he isn't too savvy.

Hopefully he will have breakout year, but I guess we will see.

Why can't Hill play NT? He is strong as a bull but doesn't have that much speed, you don't need that much at NT, although Wilfork is pretty quick.

NEM said:
I dont think so. I think that him, and Tully, come out this year.

Let's hope you're correct. So far there is little evidence that Hill can play. TBC at least has contributed on STs.

Personally, I was happy to see them draft this guy. Big upside. This should be the year that he comes into the rotation on a regular basis.

Won't be a starter because of the big three we have. But should be able to give some quality reps and be there in case someone gets injured.

I want to wait for the entire season before I lable him a good pick or a bust.

re

I remember the exact same criticism directed at Ty Warren a year or two after he was drafted. Now Warren is arguably one of the top 20 lineman in the league. Development takes time and is a gradual learning process.

Give Hill a break at least until the end of this year. Where was he supposed to play in the past, when the guys in front of him have been mostly every-down players?

We have Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, and Green. Most of the time we play 3-4, with Green coming off the bench. On 3rd and long, you probably take out Wilfork and put in Green. On other downs you keep in Wilfork in and sub Green in for Warren. Seymour plays all downs. So to people who are complaining: who would you take out in order to give Hill playing time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes