PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mario Williams is now a Buffalo Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's right here, homo! Money talks, man. How dare I misjudge how much money a team was willing to throw at him. Anyway I'm gonna go get back to doing stuff that makes me feel good about myself. You enjoy feeling good because a player signed with another team.

Excellent topic sentence. Made me want to read the rest of the thoughtful paragraph.

Andrew Brandt‏@adbrandtReply

Pay no attention to report of 100M in total value. Pay close attention to report of 50M guaranteed, 19% higher than Peppers' 42M.

Where is that poster who was for sure it was not about the money for Mario, it was about playing for a contender and winning...

It's always about the money.

The sooner fans realize that this game of football is MUCH more of a business than a game,the better off they will be.

Madden 2012 is a game,The NFL is business

I'm just waiting for the press conference at 1:30 to see Ashton Kutcher come out and tell us he has punk'd the entire city of Buffalo, and Mario is going somewhere else.

If the Bills can stay healthy and snag turnovers like they did at the beginning of 2011, then this defense just became very dangerous. Even though Light is still the best OT on this team, Williams is a nightmare of a match-up for him. We're going to have to constantly double team him with one of the TE's.

I hate to admit it but this is a good move by the Bills. Wish our team had considered it. :mad:
What would lead you to believe that the Patriots didn't kick the tires?

The Bills are going to draft another defensive lineman. Their line will go from s*** to oh s***!

If the Patriots see someone they really love in the top ten (and someone that the Bills would want), they should trade up ahead of them.

Last edited:
I hate to admit it but this is a good move by the Bills. Wish our team had considered it. :mad:

Hell will freeze over before this team under BB guarantees $50M to a non QB. Teams who do that either don't have a franchise QB or have 3 players taking up half of their salary cap like the Lions.

Nice signing. Almost makes up for Fitzpatrick.

At his price,I would think they only touched the rims of the tire.

At that price I think they only glanced him in the mirror from across the street. I love Mario and would have made him a big offer, but nothing like this.

But we had Steve Gregory in for a visit!!!

Hell will freeze over before this team under BB guarantees $50M to a non QB. Teams who do that either don't have a franchise QB or have 3 players taking up half of their salary cap like the Lions.

Only player BB would shell out that kind of cash for is 1984 Lawrence Taylor and I still don't know that for sure.

Hes losing a penny for every US Dollar spent in Canada. Maybe another 500k oughta cover it. :D.

NY and CAN tax rate is kinda close.

Shoulda went to the 'Fins.

Whenever I see a professional athlete sign for a team where money was obviously the over riding factor, it always leaves me scratching my head why they don't give state taxes a consideration. For example if team from Florida, Texas, Tennessee or Washington comes in with an offer that is 5 percent lower than say a New York, New jersey or California team, then the player would actually come out ahead with the lower offer since those are places with no state income tax.

Perhaps it is due in part to the role of the agent: the lower taxes don't affect him, so it doesn't benefit him to advise his client to accept the lower offer. It also leads me to believe it's about ego and bragging rights for the dollar amount that shows up in the headlines as much as it is about the actual money for some of these players.

Wow, sounds like a ton of $$$$$$. Good for the Bills and their fans. Williams makes that DL potentially stellar. Should they play up to the talent level, the Bills defense should improve exponentially and be a serious challenge for the Pats offense.

I was on board with Williams initially. Then our cap number came out, and the number for his market came out. Then the fact that Spikes, Gronker, and AHern's contracts are up in two years sank in. It wasn't gonna happen. It's way too much to commit to one guy when the 2nd round has been a bounty of pass rushers (not that we pick them in there anyway). The fact that the pitch about him in the 4-3 sold him tells me that if the Pats called him, the conversation ended with "we're going 3-4 heavy."

Plus, we kicked the tires on Peppers in an uncapped year, and we made him a one-year offer, which Peppers laughed at. Knowing that Williams' market was dictated by Peppers and the idea that Williams is a younger Peppers (although not as good), I would be surprised if the Pats even bothered.

50 guaranteed is bananas for a guy who has been injured more than our boy Ras-I in the last two years.

Whenever I see a professional athlete sign for a team where money was obviously the over riding factor, it always leaves me scratching my head why they don't give state taxes a consideration. For example if team from Florida, Texas, Tennessee or Washington comes in with an offer that is 5 percent lower than say a New York, New jersey or California team, then the player would actually come out ahead with the lower offer since those are places with no state income tax.

Perhaps it is due in part to the role of the agent: the lower taxes don't affect him, so it doesn't benefit him to advise his client to accept the lower offer. It also leads me to believe it's about ego and bragging rights for the dollar amount that shows up in the headlines as much as it is about the actual money for some of these players.

Bingo. I do think that Williams sees promise (see: was sold on the vision) in this BUF team but you hit the nail on the head.

I'd rather live in Boston and San Diego over Buffalo.

On the other hand, I chose Buffalo over jobs in Ann Arbor, MI and Providence largely because of the city.

If I had to choose over NFL cities, I'd be here over St. Louis, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Atlanta (though I can see the appeal for others), Charlotte, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy, maybe Dallas (I'm a big fan of the city of Houston over Dallas), Green Bay. Buffalo ranks maybe #10 or #11 from the bottom in my book.
Didn't mean to insult amy Buffalonians, just my impression from 300 miles or so away.

I hope his family is now well taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case