PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really big gamble for Logan. If he does sit out the season and injures himself falling off a horse, he just blew it big time. I'm sure that they bought a good insurance policy to cover this, but I doubt if it will cover his whole possible contract.

He should make a deal for $4 -$5mil and no franchise tag next year.

If the Patriots were willing to give Mankins $7 million per season, as some initially claimed, why don't they just call Logan's agent and offer a 1 year, $7 million dollar contract with a no tag/no tender promise, instead of screwing around with the tenders?

Last edited:
That is where the situation will end up. The only variable is how big the one year deal will be. A relatively injury-free game next week and he settles for a lower number. Neal and/or Connolly get hit by an asteroid and he negotiates a higher number.

If this goes into the regular season, Belichick begins to get comfortable with the depth chart he has and Mankins has to settle for the low tender and hope there is no franchise tag in the next CBA (almost certainly will be).

I hope he would play for us on an increased from the restricted number one year deal and settle this but I am not sure with him likely being free next year he would do that. And we might have to on a one year basis severly over pay to get him to do that.

The tag which I think will likely return may be needed for other players.....Brady still doesn't have the long term deal yet.......Moss might be a more likely target as I feel Brady will get his......Maybe Matt Light though the number might just be a bit high for him I doubt we wanna see him walk.......Gostkowski.......there could be other candidated too.

The first crack in these walls has happened, and it's not involving Mankins:

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports confirmed with a Seahawks team spokesman that Seattle has been given permission to talk contract with Jackson.

Seahawks given permission to talk to Vincent Jackson | ProFootballTalk.com

I don't know if this means that Smith has blinked, or if it means that Smith is sort of saying "Sure, go for it. Good luck finding a deal that works for you... Ha ha" to Jackson, but it's an interesting development either way.

A player or two will be cut from some team ... and they will be lucky enough to end up here.

maybe Parcells will cut Andrew gardner and he can be reborn a guard over here.

Last edited:
A lot of people think that Mankins is acting on principle here by holding out, but there may another way to look at this. Maybe the Patriots' management is acting on principle by not giving millions to someone who basically called the owner a liar.

A lot of people think that Mankins is acting on principle here by holding out, but there may another way to look at this. Maybe the Patriots' management is acting on principle by not giving millions to someone who basically called the owner a liar.

The team was "willing" to take Ty Law back into the fold after Law had called Belichick a liar.

Last edited:
Trade Mankins to Dallas - lord knows they need a guard.

Larsen? He turned in a terrible performance last night, with two false starts to boot.
I'm getting ready to re-watch the game so I hope to eventually have a more detailed analysis, but Larsen was the second string LG for a unit that didn't do that badly at keeping Hoyer clean or opening holes in the running game. False Starts happen, rookie mistakes happen, for a kid who was playing on the defensive line two years ago he's doing pretty good. PSquad material who could turn into a big fan favorite in another year or two. If nothing else go back to the NO game and re-watch him leading Jenkins down the sideline, the kids has wheels and I see why Coach Scar wants to work with him.

Your right this is all that matters but my point is that in this instance I can totally understand where the player is coming from. Though I would be much more sympathetic if would just blame the CBA (UFA rule change) and not bad mouth the orginization so much.

I cant imagine we owe anything if he doesnt sign....I beleive normally we would take the cap hit even if the money wasnt paid but no cap so no problem there.

Good point about the money being droped I do remember that option though I am not sure if the team chose to take that action or not.

He's victim to a weird quirk of the agreement so he can only get 5-6-7 million a year or whatever/

Meanwhile people are dying of thirst drowning in floods or trying to support families with no job.

Having a hard time trying to squeeze out a tear. All I care about is the New England Patriots and what's to their best advantage. If he doesn't want their money and feels insulted then screw him.

In case you wonder how I feel.

Someone once said "everything's negotiable". Still seems since Mankins can't go anywhere else, that we do have some rights that are worth something, if he can find a team willing to give him a huge contract.

I also think there's a certain value in letting Mankins screw himself and possibly miss two years or get injured and throw away 30 million or so.

When another pipsqueak like Branch decides he'll wait and try to hold the team hostage, for instance. People talk like we were outplayed in that negotiation, but to me getting a first rounder that turned into an All Pro and dodging a long term contract for a guy that's been mediocre or injured and never lived up to it is a pretty good case of making lemonade out of that lemon.

Someone once said "everything's negotiable". Still seems since Mankins can't go anywhere else, that we do have some rights that are worth something, if he can find a team willing to give him a huge contract.

I also think there's a certain value in letting Mankins screw himself and possibly miss two years or get injured and throw away 30 million or so.

When another pipsqueak like Branch decides he'll wait and try to hold the team hostage, for instance. People talk like we were outplayed in that negotiation, but to me getting a first rounder that turned into an All Pro and dodging a long term contract for a guy that's been mediocre or injured and never lived up to it is a pretty good case of making lemonade out of that lemon.
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the lemon breaks the branch off at Seattle's feet. :singing:

i don't think Mankins, is a victim cause i would love to be the victim of being offerd 5 or 6 million a year but... Logan Mankins, made a total of just over 2 million last year $300,000 less then Shawn Springs, i guy that was inactive for most of the year... and he stands to make 1 and a half million this year 2 million less then Nick Kaczur, will be makeing on IR this year.

so with that being said i think the pats have moved on with out him, for better or worst Dan Connolly, is now the starting LG for the pats

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the lemon breaks the branch off at Seattle's feet. :singing:

Very nice, Trini. I like that.

i don't think Mankins, is a victim cause i would love to be the victim of being offerd 5 or 6 million a year but... Logan Mankins, made a total of just over 2 million last year $300,000 less then Shawn Springs, i guy that was inactive for most of the year... and he stands to make 1 and a half million this year 2 million less then Nick Kaczur, will be makeing on IR this year.

so with that being said i think the pats have moved on with out him, for better or worst Dan Connolly, is now the starting LG for the pats

In the real world adults don't get raises they deserve, others get promotions they are more qualified for. It's not your fault, but you make the best of it. I don't think you call your boss a liar.

When getting screwed means being offered a multi million contract, you get your agent (cause you have one) to make the best deal.

His agent is an idiot, by the way.

I believe any team could yry to sign him for a first and third, meaning they could negotiate from there if he actually wants to go to a team that will pay him.

If he wants to be a baby, we'll see what happens.

I hope he would play for us on an increased from the restricted number one year deal and settle this but I am not sure with him likely being free next year he would do that. And we might have to on a one year basis severly over pay to get him to do that.

Mankins doesn't know the rules next year so sitting out the year is a huge risk for him. The next CBA is likely to have a cap and franchise tag. All the Pats would have to do is franchise him for $8-$9M and he would be faced with the prospect of earning only that amount for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. And then he is staring at 2012 as a 31 yo malcontent interior lineman looking for a big contract with an unfavorable cap situation (the owners certainly won't agree to a CBA that gives the players a larger percentage of the pie).

The tag which I think will likely return may be needed for other players.....Brady still doesn't have the long term deal yet.......Moss might be a more likely target as I feel Brady will get his......Maybe Matt Light though the number might just be a bit high for him I doubt we wanna see him walk.......Gostkowski.......there could be other candidated too.

The Pats don't need to use the tag on Mankins. They just need the threat of using it. That prevents Mankins from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. To maximize his earning potential, Mankins needs 2 things from the Pats:
1) A chance to be successful on the field. He hasn't been dominant in a while and having a season of DNPs as the last thing on his resume won't get him what he wants.
2) His freedom in 2011. That has value and the Pats aren't going to give up his rights without feeling like they got a solid deal in return.

Two scenarios can break the logjam:

1) A team desperate for a guard call NE and offers a trade that NE finds acceptable (at least a first rounder next year). NE then allows Mankins' agent to negotiate with that team. Technically, once a contract is agreed, NE does what amounts to a sign and trade. This scenario is what the Chargers envisage in allowing Jackson to negotiate with Seattle.

2) NE and/or Mankins have a monumental change of heart. NE decides to offer a straight one year $ 7 million dollar offer (unlikely) or a 5 year new contarct worth an average that is within spitting distance of the contract the Saints gave their star guard earlier this spring. Right now, NE wants him to play this year at $ 3.5 million while adding 5 or 6 additional years at an average of $ 7 million for each year. Including this year, the average is around $ 6.7 million and apparently not acceptable to Mankins.

So, ultimately the only way this gets solved is NEED -- either another team wants him enough to trade for him + give him a new contract. OR NE NEEDS him -- and settles on a 5 year contract at 7 mill + /year. Short of that, there is Lose-Lose.

Mankins doesn't know the rules next year so sitting out the year is a huge risk for him. The next CBA is likely to have a cap and franchise tag. All the Pats would have to do is franchise him for $8-$9M and he would be faced with the prospect of earning only that amount for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. And then he is staring at 2012 as a 31 yo malcontent interior lineman looking for a big contract with an unfavorable cap situation (the owners certainly won't agree to a CBA that gives the players a larger percentage of the pie).

The franchise tag for offensive linemen was $10.731 million for 2010, so I don't know where you're getting $8-$9 million from.

The Pats don't need to use the tag on Mankins. They just need the threat of using it.

This is incorrect. There is no real "threat" of the franchise tag when you're talking about guards, since the franchise number is almost a full $3 million dollars more per year than the highest salary for guards. As a matter of fact, franchising Mankins would allow him to recoup most of what would be 'lost' from sitting out this year rather than accepting the RFA tender.

That prevents Mankins from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. To maximize his earning potential, Mankins needs 2 things from the Pats:
1) A chance to be successful on the field. He hasn't been dominant in a while and having a season of DNPs as the last thing on his resume won't get him what he wants.
2) His freedom in 2011. That has value and the Pats aren't going to give up his rights without feeling like they got a solid deal in return.

The Patriots have nothing that they can threaten Mankins with. Those days are past. That was the mistake of lowering the tender offer.

Last edited:
If the Patriots were willing to give Mankins $7 million per season, as some initially claimed, why don't they just call Logan's agent and offer a 1 year, $7 million dollar contract with a no tag/no tender promise, instead of screwing around with the tenders?

The $7mil was part of a long term deal.The Patriots would be giving up their trump card (franchise tag) so Mankins would not be worth the $7mil on a 1 year deal to them.

Last edited:
What if the offer is 6.99 million for 1 Deus Irae? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye