PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

low grade rumor: Redskins FA safety Laron Landry considering Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't faze me that the receiver position hasn't been addressed as of yet, or that we will see Mario Williams on the same field as Tom Brady, or that the Patriots lost out on their number 1 plan Red Bryant, I like the signing of Gregory, I like the Fanene signing, I'm hoping we sign a Trevor Scott and a Gonzalez to prove it contracts, I've been ridiculed on this board for suggesting the Welker marriage could end in divorce and that's looking like a stronger possibility every day, I was criticized when I mentioned they'd let BJGE walk and that seems like a strong possibility, I like the Landry signing for the intimidation factor imagine the incredible Hulk Landry lines up at the slot and jams the crap out of a 160 pound receiver or you see the freak out your rear vision coming toward you when the ball hits your fingertips on that critical third down.
Or the only thing between the gap for the first down is a Laron Landry waiting to pulverize the poor third down back,
or Sanchez when he sees the beast coming at him on a blitz, even if it's only for a package or two a game, it's a wrinkle the Patriots can use, Ed Reed isn't walking thru that door, Mark Barron, is more Victor Green, than he is troy head and shoulders mascot.
If it's under 3 mill a year I say why not maybe BB get's more out of him than Washington ever did.

I've been ridiculed on this board ... I was criticized when I mentioned ....

You're not alone. There are just enough jacques-azze know-it-alls here to ensure that at least one Deus-bag tries to crush your sack with contrarian-just-to-be-contrarian because-this-is-my-only-consolation-in-my-hideous-monstrosity-of-a-life corn-holery at every turn.
I've been thinking lately that this board is for experts only.

Don't insult Rodney Harrison by putting useless Laron Landry in his category. Rodney had 34 career ints, played 15 years and 186 games and 2SB rings

I know Landry couldn't even figure out how to have 15 years experience a full 5 years after being draft, what a loser.
Landry is a probowl caliber safety, if he can stay healthy.
The problem is his injury that cut short the last 2 years is an Achilles, and that could be an habitual injury.
If he is 100%, he will be the best addition we make this year. The problem is 100% is very questionable.

I know Landry couldn't even figure out how to have 15 years experience a full 5 years after being draft, what a loser.
Landry is a probowl caliber safety, if he can stay healthy.
The problem is his injury that cut short the last 2 years is an Achilles, and that could be an habitual injury.
If he is 100%, he will be the best addition we make this year. The problem is 100% is very questionable.

Did he even bother to have the surgery done or is he going the all natural I'll be injured next year approach?

The New England Patriots have already signed the following free agents (restricted and unrestricted):

Brian Hoyer (2nd Round Tender)
Kyle Love (ERFA)
Niko Koutouvides
Matt Slater
Tracy White
Jonathan Fanene
Steve Gregory
Dan Connolly

I would allocate the apportioned salary cap space towards an unrestricted free agent wide receiver than Laron Landry, especially considering that Patrick Chung is the New England Patriots starting strong safety.

The New England Patriots have already signed the following free agents (restricted and unrestricted):

Brian Hoyer (2nd Round Tender)
Kyle Love (ERFA)
Niko Koutouvides
Matt Slater
Tracy White
Jonathan Fanene
Steve Gregory
Dan Connolly

I would allocate the apportioned salary cap space towards an unrestricted free agent wide receiver than Laron Landry, especially considering that Patrick Chung is the New England Patriots starting strong safety.

I agree Chung is the Pats starting SS, but I know the Pats before have gone with 3 S's on the field at the same time. I could picture something like Chung and Gregory playing the traditional two deep safety role with Landry playing the spot where Rodney used to own, down in the box almost like a LB.

Did he even bother to have the surgery done or is he going the all natural I'll be injured next year approach?

He had some sort of non surgical procedure done each of the last 2 years.

I agree Chung is the Pats starting SS, but I know the Pats before have gone with 3 S's on the field at the same time. I could picture something like Chung and Gregory playing the traditional two deep safety role with Landry playing the spot where Rodney used to own, down in the box almost like a LB.
In the meantime, the New England Patriots have the following wide receivers currently under contract:

Welker
Ochocinco
Edelman
Underwood
Slater

The last four aforementioned wide receivers only accounted for 23 pass receptions last season.

In the meantime, the New England Patriots have the following wide receivers currently under contract:

Welker
Ochocinco
Edelman
Underwood
Slater

The last four aforementioned wide receivers only accounted for 23 pass receptions last season.

Yeah...That's not good.

What is going on with Lloyd???

Everyone knows his upside to being in this offense, he obviously wants to play here.

Is it money? There doesn't seem to be much of a market for him (I guess because he's bipolar??), but he's definitely a playmaker; legitimate intermediate and deep threat...Exactly what this team needs... He doesn't have to be a number 1 or 2, just an outside flanker that runs the deep out, comeback, post, and go, with an occasional slant and crosser.

I could care less what any other team thinks...WE KNOW he can play in McDaniels' offense. McDaniels had good things to say about him publicly.

Hopefully the FO gave him some numbers and told him to look around, he comes back by Monday and says yes to the offer.

Reggie Wayne pulled 3 years at 17.5 with 7 in guarantees, 3 at 16 for Lloyd would seem reasonable with 5-6 guaranteed.

Why go with three safeties on the field when the New England Patriots already have four cornerbacks under contract?

Welker
Ochocinco
Edelman
Underwood
Slater

Branch will be back with a vet min contract and I expect a draft pick also. Hopefully with Lloyd signed in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Branch will be back with a vet min contract and I expect a draft pick also. Hopefully with Lloyd signed in the next week or so.
If Brandon Lloyd signs with the New England Patriots, I seriously doubt there will be any money left for Laron Landry, especially considering the following salary cap ramifications:

Andre Carter ???
Mark Anderson ???
BenJarvus Green-Ellis ???
2012 NFL Draft Picks
Players 52 & 53 (Top 51 currently apportioned)
8 Practice Squad Players
Injury Reserve Margin

I think you answered your own question. If he's still hurt he should be willing to take back up money.

He wont get any money if he is hurt. If he his healthy he is a probowl caliber safery. He won't take backup money.

Welker
Ochocinco
Edelman
Underwood
Slater

Good thing we are only 2 days into the league year and we don't have a game for 6 months.

Good thing we are only 2 days into the league year and we don't have a game for 6 months.
The question is rather Laron Landry or Brandon Lloyd since I seriously doubt either will provide the New England Patriots with a "home town discount".

He wont get any money if he is hurt. If he his healthy he is a probowl caliber safery. He won't take backup money.

This basically makes me think that he is/should be looking for a 1 year prove it deal.
Between his talent level and bad luck with health recently... he should be very interested in coming to the Pats and give everything he's worth towards having a very good year (possible chance at a SB in that 1 year)... then cashing in.
We've seen that a lot in recent years.

He must believe in his head that he is a top safety... and a 2-3 year 2-3MM per deal is too small to take on his second contract. But since he is not going to get it (due to injury concerns), the "prove it" deal is his only recourse

The question is rather Laron Landry or Brandon Lloyd since I seriously doubt either will provide the New England Patriots with a "home town discount".

Im sure we are pursuing both.
Improvement at either position would be nice.

This basically makes me think that he is/should be looking for a 1 year prove it deal.
Between his talent level and bad luck with health recently... he should be very interested in coming to the Pats and give everything he's worth towards having a very good year (possible chance at a SB in that 1 year)... then cashing in.

He must believe in his head that he is a top safety... and a 2-3 year 2-3MM per deal is too small to take on his second contract. But since he is not going to get it (due to injury concerns), the "prove it" deal is his only recourse
I seriously doubt that the New England Patriots are the only party interested in Laron Landry.

I don't understand. Mario Williams missed more games the last 2 years and just got the biggest defensive contract in NFL history, and you think Landry will take a physical be confirmed healthy then say he should be treated like a risky scrub and sign a one year deal?
If he is heatlhy he will get big money. He is one of the better safeties in the NFL.

We noted this week that the Patriots are one of four suitors for safety LaRon Landry,

Patriots to host LaRon Landry, Anthony Gonzalez | ProFootballTalk

Why will he need to settle for a 'prove it' deal when he's got at least 4 suitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News