PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

low grade rumor: Redskins FA safety Laron Landry considering Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't necessarily like Landry as a cover safety but as a big nickel he could really excel and stay healthy. Great around the LOS and explosive closing ability.

Last edited:
Don't necessarily like Landry as a cover safety but as a big nickel he could really excel and stay healthy. Great around the LOS and explosive closing ability.

Matt Bowen has a scout's take over at National Football Post
A scout's take on Landry | National Football Post

"This morning, I talked to an experienced NFL scout, and this was his take on Landry:

- Plays extremely hard; tough football player
- Top tier athlete
- More explosion than power; has strength, but will struggle at the point of attack
- Limited ball skills
- Not as physical as advertised in the run front
- More of a hitter; will come downhill on a WR; size up players in the open field
- Wants to go low on tackles
- Questionable study habits
- Will help a team early in the season; but will he stay healthy? "

We don't need anymore glass defenders on the team.

No way on Landry. Something is definitely not right with that pic of him. Plus he'll just get injured. We already have plenty of injury-prone DBs on the roster.

I certainly hope the New England Patriots organization are kicking the tires on collegiate safeties because Laron Landry is not the answer to the New England Patriots pass defense deficiencies.

Why would he take backup money? Why would he need to? Why would we only offer that?
If he isn't going to be healthy paying him the vet minimum is almost as bad as 4mill, because you still are counting on the guy, and limiting your other options.
If he is healthy he, he is worth a lot. If he is not, he isn't worth clogging a spot on the 80 man roster.

I think you answered your own question. If he's still hurt he should be willing to take back up money.

No way on Landry. Something is definitely not right with that pic of him. Plus he'll just get injured. We already have plenty of injury-prone DBs on the roster.
Why such a definitive statement? If you can have this kind of player on the cheap, it's a move you have to consider every time. Frankly with the injury problems he's had, I'd be surprised if he's getting any big offers out there. I was initially opposed to adding him, but now that it seems he'll have to settle for a low-ball deal, what's the risk?

Landry's not the answer to the Pats' coverage problems, but the guy is definitely a playmaker. He's got a mean attitude the Patriots could use on defense. Plus, I have to think he'd be a part-timer/backup to Chung here. That could mitigate both players' injury problems.

As a DC area resident, the guy has always struck me as similar to Rodney Harrison. He's not going out and getting 8 picks a year, but he'll make plays when you need them, and he's one of the better "in the box safeties" in the league.

Last edited:

Is that pic really not photoshopped? I looked up a bunch of other Landry pics last night and he's ripped for sure but he doesn't have any other photos as disturbing as that one.

Last edited:
Is that pic really not photoshopped? I looked up a bunch of other Landry pics last night and he's ripped for sure but he doesn't have any other photos as disturbing as that one.

If he's 218 as he claims, he will be very top heavy now and that sort of coincides with an Achilles injury, he might have massive arms and chest but he might have Crable legs for all we know.

Spending 17 weeks working on nothing but your upper body with heavy weights and it is possible he's done that without "help".

Last edited:

There's a bunch of pics that aren't that far off:

landryhuge.jpg

tumblr_lyd6bm6iKe1qd6brio2_400.jpg

landryjpeg-f23df522535b9b4b.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe it's the camera angle or something, but he at least looks like a human being in those photos. of course he not flexing either.

he's pumped to hell in the pictures he tweeted. Go workout for 2 hours on any pre workout stim/pump enhancer and see what you look like.

Would rather have Gilmore, we need a starting FS not a SS, Chung fills that role. Less $$$ for Gilmore also.

If he's 218 as he claims, he will be very top heavy now and that sort of coincides with an Achilles injury, he might have massive arms and chest but he might have Crable legs for all we know.

Spending 17 weeks working on nothing but your upper body with heavy weights and it is possible he's done that without "help".
Wheel him out in the playoffs, he'll have use in those four games. Mitigates injury concerns.

but he might have Crable legs for all we know.

Here I thought Crable had contributed absolutely nothing to the Pats or their fan base, but I was wrong. We will forever have the term 'Crable Legs'.

He's like a better version of Meriweather but 4x as fragile.

Stupid post of the year award. Tell me 1 thing Landry did better than Merriweather ?

BM has 2x the INT's that of Landry, played in more games - both came into the league the same year. It would be the most idiotic move for Pats to have cut BM last year only to turn around and sign an even worse Safety who has played a grand total of 17 games last 2 years and now is an ACL blowup waiting to happen, not a matter of if, rather when.

Landry is 10x worse undisciplined Safety than BM. He should be focusing on his post NFL career now pumping iron and roids, like WWE or something

Stupid post of the year award. Tell me 1 thing Landry did better than Merriweather ?

BM has 2x the INT's that of Landry, played in more games - both came into the league the same year. It would be the most idiotic move for Pats to have cut BM last year only to turn around and sign an even worse Safety who has played a grand total of 17 games last 2 years and now is an ACL blowup waiting to happen, not a matter of if, rather when.

Landry is 10x worse undisciplined Safety than BM. He should be focusing on his post NFL career now pumping iron and roids, like WWE or something

Thank goodness you've come out against Landry. I wasn't sure if I should still be hoping that Patriots bring him in, because the achilles really concerns me. Knowing you don't want him makes me confident that he'll be a good addition, though, so I'm hoping BB brings him in.

Unless it's a tear, Achilles injuries can heal without surgery but it takes a while, since there's not a lot of blood circulation in that area. It's also pretty easy to test as part of a physical. Worth a look, for sure.

Could be Rodney redux.

Don't insult Rodney Harrison by putting useless Laron Landry in his category. Rodney had 34 career ints, played 15 years and 186 games and 2SB rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes