PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

low grade rumor: Redskins FA safety Laron Landry considering Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Brandon Lloyd signs with the New England Patriots, I seriously doubt there will be any money left for Laron Landry, especially considering the following salary cap ramifications:

Andre Carter ???
Mark Anderson ???
BenJarvus Green-Ellis ???
2012 NFL Draft Picks
Players 52 & 53 (Top 51 currently apportioned)
8 Practice Squad Players
Injury Reserve Margin

The bolded money isn't needed until later, and that can all be dealt with after signing a Lloyd/Landry combo, if the Patriots wish.

The bolded money isn't needed until later, and that can all be dealt with after signing a Lloyd/Landry combo, if the Patriots wish.

And outside of the draft choices, none of those items need to be accounted for until cutdown, when often cap room is freed up just by cuts of higher salaries guys beaten out by youngsters.

I don't understand. Mario Williams missed more games the last 2 years and just got the biggest defensive contract in NFL history, and you think Landry will take a physical be confirmed healthy then say he should be treated like a risky scrub and sign a one year deal?If he is heatlhy he will get big money. He is one of the better safeties in the NFL.

You are all missing my point by a wide margin.

I am sure he will have a suitors that will pay him a "decent" contract.
I think he might/should want a contract compensatory of a probowl safety,... Not the injury stigma, low team risk contract. His best course of action may be to not accept a 3 year, middle of the road deal, but a 1 year, incentive laden contract (in a perfect scenerio, for a contender) and hope to cash in on the big money, long term deal next offseason.
He wouldn't be the first player in his position to do so.
Didn't Randy Moss restructure his contract to be more team friendly when he was traded here?
He had no history with this team, therefore didn't make the move out of loyalty. He did it because he was gaining an unwanted (in his eyes, undeserved) reputation, and he saw the perfect chance with the pats to prove he is still a top tier talent when given the chance on a top tier team.
The next year Randy cashed in on a top5 WR contract with the very same team that he gave a short term, low risk deal to.

Surprisingly, Andyjohnson finds a way to be combative... even though I was agreeing with his assesment of Landry.
Nowhere in my post did I say that he should be "treated like a risky scrub". I said many times that HE might end up preferring a short term prove it deal because he is better than what he is probably being offered, But is only being offered that because of his recent injury problems.

But don't let reading a post for what it is, or actually says, get in the way of your chance to start an argument. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I think he might/should want a contract compensatory of a probowl safety,... Not the injury stigma, low team risk contract. His best course of action may be to not accept a 3 year, middle of the road deal, but a 1 year, incentive laden contract (in a perfect scenerio, for a contender) and hope to cash in on the big money, long term deal next offseason.
Didn't Randy Moss restructure his contract to be more team friendly when he was traded here?
He had no history with this team, therefore didn't make the move out of loyalty. He did it because he was gaining an unwanted (in his eyes, undeserved) reputation, and he saw the perfect chance with the pats to prove he is still a top tier talent when given the chance on a top tier team.
The next year Randy cashed in on a top5 WR contract with the very same team that he gave a short term, low risk deal to.

Surprisingly, Andyjohnson finds a way to be combative... even though I was agreeing with his assesment of Landry.
Nowhere in my post did I say that he should be "treated like a risky scrub". I said many times that HE might end up preferring a short term prove it deal because he is better than what he is probably being offered, But is only being offered that because of his recent injury problems.

But don't let reading a post for what it is, or actually says, get in the way of your chance to start an argument. :rolleyes:

...He must believe in his head that he is a top safety... and a 2-3 year 2-3MM per deal is too small to take on his second contract. But since he is not going to get it (due to injury concerns), the "prove it" deal is his only recourse

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly got what you wrote. I just didn't buy it.

Patriots to host LaRon Landry, Anthony Gonzalez | ProFootballTalk

Why will he need to settle for a 'prove it' deal when he's got at least 4 suitors?

Never said that he needed to settle for one. I just meant that if he doesn't get the top-tier, long term deal, he might be best served to not accept a below market deal because of his past injuries.,, and instead might be best served taking a 1 year, incentive laden contract to showcase himself for next offseason. If I am him, I am not taking a 3 year deal thats below what I feel is my value.

NFL careers age in dog years... 3 years is a loooong time for someone playing this physical game

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly got what you wrote. I just didn't buy it.

I agree, it can be read that way.

I should have continued "is his only recourse" with: "If he wants to get a top of the market safety contract".

Or something like that.

Apologies for leaving it open to misinterpretation like that. Hopefully my original intent is clearer now. :D

If he is willing to take Vet min and can stay healthy then this would be a great move for the pats.

NIce comparison between ReggieNelson and Landry. Based on this info, I wouldve thought Nelson would fit Patriots much better, as Pats stink at pass coverage in the box...

The Jets are targeting two safeties in free agency -- LaRon Landry and Reggie Nelson, both of whom were first-round picks in 2007. Ideally, you'd like to have both because their skill sets are complementary, but it's unclear if they have enough salary-cap room to make that happen.

One thing to remember: Landry, plagued by Achilles-tendon issues, is said to be willing to take a one-year deal to prove himself healthy, hoping for a big free-agent score next year. Something to ponder.

Anyway, here's a statistical look at the two safeties, courtesy of the web site Pro Football Focus. Judging from the numbers, it's pretty clear that Nelson is better in coverage and Landry is a better run enforcer around the line of scrimmage. The Jets use a lot of single-high safety looks, which might not be a good thing for Landry. But if you want a "box" safety, Landry gets the edge.

LANDRY (513 total snaps):

Pass coverage
Time targeted/Completions -- 22/15
Completion pct. -- 71.4
Yards -- 159 yards
Yards after catch -- 99
TDs allowed -- 1
Interceptions -- 0
Passes defensed --0
Passer rating -- 109.0

Run defense
Tackles -- 43
Stops* -- 22
Missed tackles -- 5

Blitzing
QB sacks --2
QB hits/pressures -- 8

NELSON (1,049 snaps):

Pass coverage
Times targeted/completions -- 33/21
Completion pct. -- 63.6
Yards -- 275
Yards after catch -- 74
Interceptions -- 4
Passes defensed -- 4
Touchdowns -- 2
Passer rating -- 70.5

Run defense
Tackles -- 64
Stops* -- 24
Missed tackles -- 8

Blitzing
QB sacks -- 2
QB hits/pressures -- 7

* Defined as the number of solo tackles that constitute an offensive failure, including sacks.

If he is willing to take Vet min and can stay healthy then this would be a great move for the pats.

Why do this, "If the Patriots can get him far below market value...". They can't. The is ZERO chance Landry takes anything near the veteran minimum. He was a top ten pick, has been a productive pro, and has played free and strong safety. I will be very surprised if he takes anything less than Gregory.

Last edited:
Nice comparison between Reggie Nelson and Laron Landry. Based on this info, I would've thought Nelson would fit Patriots much better.
I would rather have Reggie Nelson.

The Jets are targeting two safeties in free agency -- LaRon Landry and Reggie Nelson, both of whom were first-round picks in 2007. Ideally, you'd like to have both because their skill sets are complementary, but it's unclear if they have enough salary-cap room to make that happen.
The New York Jets are not the only other team targeting Laron Landry.

One thing to remember: Landry, plagued by Achilles-tendon issues, is said to be willing to take a one-year deal to prove himself healthy, hoping for a big free-agent score next year.

LaRon Landry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On December 15, he was officially placed on injured reserve after being advised to get surgery on his left Achilles tendon, ending the last season of his rookie contract having played a total of eight games. On January 23, 2012, it was announced that Landry has decided to go with alternative medicine, receiving the stem cell treatment known as, Biological Matrix, on his left Achilles tendon in hopes to avoid surgery, but will finally decide on whether or not to get surgery in six to eight weeks.

Alternative medicine ..... Biological Matrix ...... voodoo ..... witch doctors

Last edited:
I would rather have Reggie Nelson.

The New York Jets are not the only other team targeting Laron Landry.

On December 15, he was officially placed on injured reserve after being advised to get surgery on his left Achilles tendon, ending the last season of his rookie contract having played a total of eight games. On January 23, 2012, it was announced that Landry has decided to go with alternative medicine, receiving the stem cell treatment known as, Biological Matrix, on his left Achilles tendon in hopes to avoid surgery, but will finally decide on whether or not to get surgery in six to eight weeks.

LaRon Landry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alternative medicine ..... Biological Matrix ...... voodoo ..... witch doctors

I'd prefer Nelson, too.

Sadly, Jets are hashing out a multi-year contract with Nelson. He may be a Jet very soon...

I think he might/should want a contract compensatory of a probowl safety,...

That is what he is going to get.

Not the injury stigma, low team risk contract. His best course of action may be to not accept a 3 year, middle of the road deal, but a 1 year, incentive laden contract (in a perfect scenerio, for a contender) and hope to cash in on the big money, long term deal next offseason.
But he isn't going to have to.

Thats a completely different situaiton than Landrys

Not combative at all, I simply disagree. And no we don't agree in our assessment of Landry, THAT is the point. He will get a top 10 safety contract IMO and you are saying he will get a fraction of it because it will be downgraded for injury.
He either gets top 10 safety money or none because he is not healthy.

Nowhere in my post did I say that he should be "treated like a risky scrub".
But it is what you described and have again.

I said many times that HE might end up preferring a short term prove it deal because he is better than what he is probably being offered, But is only being offered that because of his recent injury problems.
Once again, no matter how many times you repeat yourself I disagree that he will be penalized in his contract for injury.

I read everything you said. I disagree with its premise.

signing Landry would make this the best off season in a while.....

signing Landry would make this the best off season in a while.....

Signing a guy who has major injury issues?

No thanks. This guy will sneeze and be out 3 weeks. Won't last more than 8 games in a season

Signing a guy who has major injury issues?

No thanks. This guy will sneeze and be out 3 weeks. Won't last more than 8 games in a season

Because Lloyd, Gonzalez and Scott don't have injury issues from their pasts.... :bricks:

Because Lloyd, Gonzalez and Scott don't have injury issues from their pasts.... :bricks:

I don't think those guys had achillies problems which are horrible to begin with. Landry was told it was recommended to have surgery..and he didn't

I don't think those guys had achillies problems which are horrible to begin with. Landry was told it was recommended to have surgery..and he didn't

Landry went with another procedure. He's not the first to do that, and he won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back