PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

low grade rumor: Redskins FA safety Laron Landry considering Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Mike Giardi thinks there's a good chance he signs here.

Twitter
Twitter

Given how the other rumored moves pretty much all were legit (except this Tebow one floating around lol) I'd say it's a pretty good chance Landry lands here.

None. MarkBarron or HarrisonSmith.

I'd also like to land one of those guys but there isn't any guarantee. Considering the lack of safeties available, it isn't crazy to think someone will jump on Barron before we pick. Smith isn't worth a 1st rounder and just like Barron, someone might jump on him before our 2nd rounder from Oakland.

I'm not a fan of passing on people in free agency and depending on getting someone in the draft.

I was listening to the Patriots roster report and I heard in 8 games, he had no passes defended? and he currently has an Achilles injury? Does anyone know if he's healthy right now?

Last edited:
So you prefer barret, sergio brown and ihedigbo over landry. Got it but i disagree 100%

Landry the bodybuilder is not the only safety available. Matt Giordano from the Raiders is also FA. Giordano had 5 INT in 8 starts this last season. Started the season as a back-up, took over midseason and displayed some great ballhawking skills with his 5 INT in 8 starts. He is also a heavy hitter and has great speed. Definitely an upgrade over barret, sergio brown, ihedigbo and landry, who had 0 INT last season.
Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

Matt Giordano - Superbowl Highlights - YouTube

I read somewhere that Landry is best suited for a defense that plays zone with split safeties. That is the Pats' defense to a T at least most of the time.

I don't care if it's Laron Landry or even dig up Tom Landry...hell even give me dirty Landry over Barrett and Brown :cool:

Landry the bodybuilder is not the only safety available. Matt Giordano from the Raiders is also FA. Giordano had 5 INT in 8 starts this last season. Started the season as a back-up, took over midseason and displayed some great ballhawking skills with his 5 INT in 8 starts. He is also a heavy hitter and has great speed. Definitely an upgrade over barret, sergio brown, ihedigbo and landry, who had 0 INT last season.
Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

Matt Giordano - Superbowl Highlights - YouTube

I also wouldn't mind if they looked at Quintin Demps or Reggie Nelson.

Say what you would like about him, but Laron Landry (when healthy) is a massive upgrade at safety.

I read somewhere that Landry is best suited for a defense that plays zone with split safeties. That is the Pats' defense to a T at least most of the time.

I believe LaRon is not good in pass defense, but good at run defense.

Patriots got burned due to lack of pass defense, in the middle.

So, please tell me why LaRon, and not ReggieNelson? Reggie would probably be cheaper, and is better at pass defense. Also, he is not injury prone...

But, Jets have already offered Reggie a contract, today.

So, please tell me why LaRon, and not ReggieNelson? Reggie would probably be cheaper, and is better at pass defense. Also, he is not injury prone...

The New England Patriots already have a starting strong safety named Patrick Chung.

The New England Patriots signed a backup free safety named Steve Gregory.

The New York Jets have offered a contract to a starting free safety named Reggie Nelson. Somehow, the New York Jets have their priorities correct on this unrestricted free agent pursuit.

I certainly hope the New England Patriots target safeties early in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Last edited:

This. Reggie Nelson is much better in Pass Coverage. I wouldn't even mind if they took a look At Demps who was released from the Texans.

I thought McCourty struggled last year, cuz the Pats stopped playing zone most the time and went to man coverage?

I'm hearing that they are leaning towards going back to a 3-4 defense, does the zone work better with a 3-4?

That is what he is going to get.

But he isn't going to have to.

Thats a completely different situaiton than Landrys

Not combative at all, I simply disagree. And no we don't agree in our assessment of Landry, THAT is the point. He will get a top 10 safety contract IMO and you are saying he will get a fraction of it because it will be downgraded for injury.
He either gets top 10 safety money or none because he is not healthy.

But it is what you described and have again.

Once again, no matter how many times you repeat yourself I disagree that he will be penalized in his contract for injury.

I read everything you said. I disagree with its premise.

What I thought we agreed on: Landry is a probowl safety, and should/would be treated as a premier, tier 1 free agent..

What I think you are saying we disagree on:
He has not been a tier 1, first day of FA, Big money signing (like most young probowl talent) because there are concerns over his health...... Although I think we DO agree on that

What we clearly don't agree on:
He MIGHT be best serve with a short term, incentive laden deal, to erase any doubts teams have and cash in next year.

I didn't mean to insist that he absolutely will not get a long term, high dollar deal... just that IF he doesn't (as many have pontificated) I think he would be better off playing this year to showcase himself for the Dan Snyder, Al Davis type of contract (he obviously could get, if no injury concerns were present) next year.... especially since the cap is set to skyrocket the year after.

I agree that it is absurd to treat Landry as a huge injury risk, and Mario Williams as the #1 defensive player in the league, when they have almost identical games missed in the past 2 years. What the real difference between their situations is the position they play. Williams' position makes him the big prize.

I honestly thought we were thinking the same thing of Landry's actual worth, and how his situation has skewed it. Which is why it looks as though you were looking for a reason to be combative (let's be honest... you do have a history of it :p)

I just didn't appreciate that you jumped ugly on me, under the assumption that I insisted he will be forced to take a below market deal.
That was never my assertion, even if that is what could be derived from my wording. This is why I apologized for any confusion, and tried to explain myself better.
Most intelligent people understand that it is often very difficult to convey true intent through text (without the benefit of seeing body language, facial expression or tone of voice... all vital keys to human communication)
I guess this is why there is so much conflict about comments through social media nowadays.

That being said, There are 2 things I know for certain about you (and to be fair, a few other posters here) at this point...
1. You are a very intelligent person
2. You are a very argumentative person

I have no idea why you have such a hair across your bumm, but I honestly enjoy reading some of your posts... That is why I don't simply put you on ignore.

The big difference between us is that when you post an opinion that I don't agree with, I don't rip you a new arse over it... I simply move on to the next post.

If this is such a problem for you, and you feel that my occasional postings are such an annoyance to you, please, by all means... put ME on ignore.
If you choose not to, it's either because you, A. enjoy reading some of my opinions (you're very welcome :D)... or B. you just enjoy arguing and being a jerk.

Last edited:
Say what you would like about him, but Laron Landry (when healthy) is a massive upgrade at safety.

There really is one thing that I don't get. Are you getting rid of Chung?
He is our starting SS and everyone wants Landry. Both play the same position and are often used in the same way. Having Chung playing as a FS doesn't seem like the best use of his skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back