PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Long missed bomb to Aiken at the end of the 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Long missed bomb to Aiken at the end of the 4th.

The throw was on target and should have been caught, so I don't see any real problem with the decision making on the play.

Yes, that deep throw was on target. Aiken's right arm was knocked down and away before the ball arrived. Only the elite, better than Moss, wideouts make that catch in those circumstances.

How do you know this? He didn't have single catch this year. There is nothing to compare.

If anything the biggest killer is the miss on Galloway.

He beat his man and got behind the defense for what would have been long gains when he was in, only to have Brady miss on the throw.

He beat his man and got behind the defense for what would have been long gains when he was in, only to have Brady miss on the throw.

You could say the same thing about Aiken. By my count, Brady has missed on a number of throws to Aiken which is almost equal to the number of catches Aiken should have made (the one where he stretched out vs Miami in the 4th Qtr rings a bell).

My point is that there is no meaningful data (if any) that is associated with acutal production to be able to say, "losing Tate was a killer". We don't even know of he can catch the ball in a game situation.

If in 4 games, Tate had 11 catches for 190 yds and 2 TDs, then I'd say he was a HUGE loss.

My .02$

Last edited:

Yes, that deep throw was on target. Aiken's right arm was knocked down and away before the ball arrived. Only the elite, better than Moss, wideouts make that catch in those circumstances.

I agree - unfortunately, Aiken does need to improve his hands. On a very similar play against Miami, Aiken dropped a similar ball that would've put us in FG range to win. That's the type of catch former Pats #3s made, Givens, Patten, Brown, whoever you want to say our #3 was back in the day.

That said - the play yesterday was as blatant PI as they come. The refs simply didn't pull out the flag, probably b/c they'd made 2 huge PI calls already, and yes, referees think like that.

Last edited:

Why should people agree on it when it's a terrible assertion made worse by a followup assumption? Again.... Galloway had 7 catches in just 2 games, while Aiken has just 17 catches in 9 games.

So, it is a "terrible assertion" that they all suck. Well, let's look at the numbers shall we? Galloway has 7 catches this year and is currently out of the league. Greg Lewis also has 7 catches on the year and is clearly not a starting caliber receiver. Aiken has 17 catches and is clearly not a starting caliber WR. I'm sorry, why is this a terrible assertion, other than saying so supports your M.O. of being contrarian for the hell of it?

And the "worse follow-up assumption" - that Aiken made the team primarily because of his special teams abilities. Do you have any evidence suggesting that's not a good assumption? Aiken is the ST captain and did nothing at WR in the preseason. Why on earth do you think he made the team?

Why should people agree on it when it's a terrible assertion made worse by a followup assumption? Again.... Galloway had 7 catches in just 2 games, while Aiken has just 17 catches in 9 games.

I don't think it's crazy to wonder if they cut Galloway too early at this point. Obviously, the FO knows a hell of a lot more than we do. But this offense is a lot different know then when it was when they cut Galloway. There's no questioning Galloway's speed - and if one of their answers to team's doubling of Moss & Welker is to have the #3 run a go route, I don't understand how Sam Aiken with his 4.6 or 4.7 40 could possibly do that than Galloway who can still run a 4.3.

So, it is a "terrible assertion" that they all suck. Well, let's look at the numbers shall we? Galloway has 7 catches this year and is currently out of the league. Greg Lewis also has 7 catches on the year and is clearly not a starting caliber receiver. Aiken has 17 catches and is clearly not a starting caliber WR. I'm sorry, why is this a terrible assertion, other than saying so supports your M.O. of being contrarian for the hell of it?

Not being in the league is not the same as "suck". It never has been. Matt Jones is not currently in the league. Are you really foolish enough to believe that he's not good enough to play in the NFL as a #2 or #3 WR? Do you honestly think that Barry Sanders sucked in the first year of his retirement? Galloway had 7 catches in his 2 games, had a couple of drops, and was open on other attempts when Brady missed him. This isn't about me being "contrarian", it's about you making a lousy assertion.

And the "worse follow-up assumption" - that Aiken made the team primarily because of his special teams abilities. Do you have any evidence suggesting that's not a good assumption? Aiken is the ST captain and did nothing at WR in the preseason. Why on earth do you think he made the team?

This assumes that Galloway would still be on the team if he were better at special teams, and that Aiken would be gone. That's a terrible assumption, particularly since they both made the team out of camp.

Aiken is the #3 receiver by necessity not by choice. Too much

is expected of him. He is a good special teams player who had

28 catches in 7 years at Miami.

Not being in the league is not the same as "suck". It never has been. Matt Jones is not currently in the league. Are you really foolish enough to believe that he's not good enough to play in the NFL as a #2 or #3 WR? Do you honestly think that Barry Sanders sucked in the first year of his retirement? Galloway had 7 catches in his 2 games, had a couple of drops, and was open on other attempts when Brady missed him. This isn't about me being "contrarian", it's about you making a lousy assertion.

This assumes that Galloway would still be on the team if he were better at special teams, and that Aiken would be gone. That's a terrible assumption, particularly since they both made the team out of camp.

Are you making these arguments with a straight face?

Matt Jones has serious off-the field issues which make him too risky to take on. Barry Sanders VOLUNTARILY retired. Joey Galloway apparently wants to play, but for some, according to you, mystical reason (other than poor performance), is not on an NFL team. You're kidding, right??

Yes, if Galloway were a special teams stud, he may still be on the team. He's not, so he's not. Understand?

Are you making these arguments with a straight face?

Matt Jones has serious off-the field issues which make him too risky to take on. Barry Sanders VOLUNTARILY retired. Joey Galloway apparently wants to play, but for some, according to you, mystical reason (other than poor performance), is not on an NFL team. You're kidding, right??

Yes, if Galloway were a special teams stud, he may still be on the team. He's not, so he's not. Understand?

I understood from the beginning. Your initial assertion was terrible and your assumption was worse. That hasn't changed. Galloway's performance on the field was clearly good enough to help the team, although he needed to get past the dropsies. And, again, Galloway was already on the team with Aiken, which is why the special teams comment was such a lousy assumption.

Last edited:

I understood from the beginning. Your initial assertion was terrible and your assumption was worse. That hasn't changed. Galloway's performance on the field was clearly good enough to help the team, although he needed to get past the dropsies. And, again, Galloway was already on the team with Aiken, which is why the special teams comment was such a lousy assumption.

I agree that if Galloway got past "the dropsies", the inability to run proper routes, and the incapacitating fear of getting hit, he would've helped the team. I'm not sure what this means, other than you're wasting my time.

Galloway is no longer on the team, in case you hadn't noticed. If he could play special teams, Bill might have kept him around to see if he could "get past" the issues mentioned above. But he can't, so he's gone. We have an inffective receiver that is great on special teams, we don't need an ineffective receiver that can't play special teams at all. Got it?

Plays like this setup other plays ... if you don't stretch the field then it will be 8 in the box on defense for most of the game. Some people in this forum calling for Weis to come back ... Charlie was a master at running seemingly useless plays to setup other plays - they all do it.
I think the timing of it is more in question, at least in my mind, than the decision. Go ahead and stretch the field, but why then?

I agree that if Galloway got past "the dropsies", the inability to run proper routes, and the incapacitating fear of getting hit, he would've helped the team. I'm not sure what this means, other than you're wasting my time.

Galloway is no longer on the team, in case you hadn't noticed. If he could play special teams, Bill might have kept him around to see if he could "get past" the issues mentioned above. But he can't, so he's gone. We have an inffective receiver that is great on special teams, we don't need an ineffective receiver that can't play special teams at all. Got it?

Again, I "got it" from the start. Your statements were just poor, that's all. That still hasn't changed, and tossing in all that nonsense about Galloway doesn't change that. Or do you think that it would have been impossible to draw up some plays that would have allowed Galloway to run the routes he was comfortable with?

I think thats what the defense gave Brady and thats who the open guy was. It wasnt a forced throw by any means. I actually thought Aiken could have caught that ball and also PI could have been called

The problem with this is that the defense can take it for granted that Brady, under no circumstances, can hit anyone on a bomb. He apparently can't hit the side of a barn with a long bomb, just lofts it up for it to be overthrown or intercepted. It's a wasted play, although I guess on 3rd and long you can say it's kind of like a punt sometimes, when they intercept it.

The problem with this is that the defense can take it for granted that Brady, under no circumstances, can hit anyone on a bomb. He apparently can't hit the side of a barn with a long bomb, just lofts it up for it to be overthrown or intercepted. It's a wasted play, although I guess on 3rd and long you can say it's kind of like a punt sometimes, when they intercept it.

What are you talking about?

On pass attempts of 31+ yards, He's 63/101 (62.4%), 6 TD, 1 INT
In 2007 he was 69/109 (63.3%), 10 TD, 0 INT

What are you talking about?

On pass attempts of 31+ yards, He's 63/101 (62.4%), 6 TD, 1 INT
In 2007 he was 69/109 (63.3%), 10 TD, 0 INT

Are those including YAC? I could swear every time he throws a bomb it's no good. I'd say he's 15% off the top of my head.

Are those including YAC? I could swear every time he throws a bomb it's no good. I'd say he's 15% off the top of my head.

As stated it's pass ATTEMPTS of 31+ yards, meaning ball travels 31+ yards passed line of scrimmage. Just stop yourself.

As stated it's pass ATTEMPTS of 31+ yards, meaning ball travels 31+ yards passed line of scrimmage. Just stop yourself.

Well he must be about 2 for the last 20 then, cause he hasn't hit crapola on long bombs to Moss lately. OVERTHROWN. You stop.

He's clueless.

I wish I didn't read his posts quoted in other people's posts.

He's clueless.

I wish I didn't read his posts quoted in other people's posts.

Boo hoo, can't stand the truth. Brady is 30% tops on hitting moss long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back