PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor that BB is leaving at the end of the season

Mac looks exactly like one of the many promising young QBs around the league over the years whose development was destroyed by bad coaching.

Regression like Mac’s mechanics breakdown doesnt happen on its own.

I do wonder if they made any effort to keep McDaniels or went out and got another OC would the teams trajectory as a whole (and macs) have been different.

Fat Matt did not ruin Mac.

Mac ruined Mac

Mac’s behavior played a role but 3 OCs in 3 years, no QB coach, Matty P and a lack of weapons didn’t help.

Plus, I suspect somebody didn’t want to make a QB the way Brady and Jimmy G were made.

That’s not to excuse Mac completely. There are some things he should have done differently. But they knew his physical and psychological limitations when he was drafted and the only coach who got it was JM.

Absolutely not but let's stop blaming Bill for Mac's career death-spiral.

Players regress all the time. It happens
Eh. Bill deserves a share of blame for Mac’s trajectory. You really can’t ignore how last year Bill’s decisions just completely undermined the progression of Mac and the offense. No weapons provided this year, bad pass protection and constantly taking another hammer to his confidence with nonsensical benching choices such as against the Bears.

Mac has effed a lot of things up on his own but this team is simply not where he has a chance to succeed, definitely not with Belichick around.

Whatever anyone thinks of Mac Jones and he deserves plenty of blame himself. doesn't excuse that Bill did everything wrong when handling a young QB on a rookie deal. Why let Bill off the hook?

3 OCs in 3 years (learning 3 different offenses), and no effort to improve offensive talent. Given average receivers and a poor OL.

Anyone would be lying if they thought they handled having a QB on a rookie deal well. We used to laugh at teams like the jets for this.

And we want to hand bill another young QB?

Separating New England from the Jetes of the world is level-headed ownership. So whatever happens, I expect a good plan going into 2024.

What's difficult for me to understand is why BB wants all this aggravation when things obviously are not going well and haven't for a while. It's really, really hard work. He's 71, a first-ballot hall of famer -- why not retire and enjoy life? The wins record probably isn't achievable and that's OK. He gave it a good shot, nothing to be ashamed of. Finish the season and go out with your head held high as one of the greatest ever. He'd be crazy to take on another franchise reclamation project at his age.
This is my thought exactly.

I know guys are saying Chargers, Bears and Giants as possible landing spots. They are forgetting one thing: The leadership of the team in 2000 wanted Bill. They knew him from the Parcells days. Today, Bill does not walk into an ideal situation like that anywhere in the NFL. If anything, quite the opposite, 20 somethings who've been coddled and told how great they are their whole lives are suddenly going to embrace his style? If he were to drop somewhere where there's players who know him, respect him, and, most important, want to be coached in his well documented style, then I think he'd be successful. Now? He has to change the culture and have immediate buy in. I just don't see it.

Apples to apples, Bruce Arians can’t be mentioned in the same sentence as BB.

And this is from a guy who def wants BB to move on.

8X SB champ vs….Bruce Arians.

I think a 2 probably gets it done.
Arians was a two time coach of the year. He isn't BB but he's also not a ham 'n egger as Bobby the Brain Heenan would say. Lol

I think the game has just passed bill by as a GM

The way he's been building the roster offensively is NOT how you build a roster in 2023.

Even the most optimistic media people had us pegged as a 6-7 win team due to our lack of talent. That's not good enough.

The media was screaming since free agency and the draft that Bill had done nothing to improve the offensive talent and we all ignored it. And now act surprised when the team doesn't have the talent to compete.

Eh. Bill deserves a share of blame for Mac’s trajectory. You really can’t ignore how last year Bill’s decisions just completely undermined the progression of Mac and the offense. No weapons provided this year, bad pass protection and constantly taking another hammer to his confidence with nonsensical benching choices such as against the Bears.

Mac has effed a lot of things up on his own but this team is simply not where he has a chance to succeed, definitely not with Belichick around.
Eh.

Mac Jones 1st 13 games as an NFL QB (inc windy BUF) he was 204ypg, 70% comp 16/8 TD/INT 97.7 QB rating w/ Josh

Mac Jones last 5 games of 2021 season w Josh 232ypg 60% 8/7 TD/INT 78 QB rating w/ Josh

Teams caught on to his tendencies and those numbers are similar to last years and this years.

Fat Matt and the less than All-Pro talent at the WR position didn't help but it's pretty clear he was already on the downside w/ Josh.

No question Bill needs to move on but Mac is what Mac is- a flame out.

Mac’s behavior played a role but 3 OCs in 3 years, no QB coach, Matty P and a lack of weapons didn’t help.

Plus, I suspect somebody didn’t want to make a QB the way Brady and Jimmy G were made.

That’s not to excuse Mac completely. There are some things he should have done differently. But they knew his physical and psychological limitations when he was drafted and the only coach who got it was JM.
I really struggle why fans just can't accept some players don't/can't improve and even regress.

It happens all the time.

I’ll drive Bill to Logan myself if some team offers a 1st for a 71 year old head coach.

The Bucs got Bruce Arians for a 6th.
3rd maybe

I trust him. Sponsors, advertisers, etc. are making themselves heard as well as fans. And he's a fan, too, which is where this all started for him -- thank goodness for that. He will be responsible and responsive.
Yeah I’m having my doubts. IMO RK will hire an old GM that is out of touch with how the game is played today. I just don't trust him. I don’t care who he hired at his other business in the past. We should have an owner who’s running the show with a younger perspective like Jonathon.

We’re all speculating on who might be a good GM fit but until Jonathon takes over….I believe it will be more of the same to a degree with old Patriot retreads.

Yeah I’m having my doubts. IMO RK will hire an old GM that is out of touch with how the game is played today. I just don't trust him. I don’t care who he hired at his other business in the past. We should have an owner who’s running the show with a younger perspective like Jonathon.

We’re all speculating on who might be a good GM fit but until Jonathon takes over….I believe it will be more of the same to a degree with old Patriot retreads.
Jonathan for a young guy is a little too silent for me I hate those types.

They should be naming a our New GM in the coming weeks whether BB likes it or not. BB can go kick rocks for all I concern.

Jonathan for a young guy is a little too silent for me I hate those types.
He understands his role and who the owner is. I would expect him to be very much at the forefront much like RKK when it's his time. Maybe even more so.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back