PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the question is going to be so much about who the next coach is, i think it is going to be more about who is going to take over the football operations, and after Belichick hangs them up I believe they will return to the model they used before Belichick, a GM run team with an head coach. The truth of the matter, at least imo, is that Belichick is a special case, a head coach who has the breadth of knowledge and capability to run an entire football operation from that position. He cannot be replaced by one person, and I think the approach they will take will be to first try to get him to take over as GM when he steps down as coach. I doubt he will do that. Then they will try to maintain the model and principles he has established and split the responsibilities among a GM an Coach. It may be Caserio/MacDaniels, or Pioli or Dimitroff could return if Caserio has already moved on.

If I were going to bet on anyone to succeed Belichick it would be Caserio, and while the coach will still be really important it will be the head of football operations who really matters in term of how the franchise is run.

By definition, any replacement is going to be a step backwards. Having someone who knows the organisation, the system and the players seems like a pretty good way to minimise that backward step.

I understand I just don’t think Josh McDaniels is the best choice, let me actually rephrase that I don’t think when Belichick retires Josh will be the best choice. I don’t foresee Bill retiring for at least another 5 years personally and in that period of time I think many things will change, including the possibility that Josh could go elsewhere as a head coach.

If I was to choose a successor personally it would be Matt Patricia, he along with Belichick rebuilt the defense, changed the scheme and developed several young players. He has also overcome adversity this season losing the best player at every level of defense for at least 3 weeks (Wilfork, Mayo and Talib) but despite that fact the defense is what kept us in the games this season up until Gronkowski’s return.

I understand I just don’t think Josh McDaniels is the best choice, let me actually rephrase that I don’t think when Belichick retires Josh will be the best choice. I don’t foresee Bill retiring for at least another 5 years personally and in that period of time I think many things will change, including the possibility that Josh could go elsewhere as a head coach.

If I was to choose a successor personally it would be Matt Patricia, he along with Belichick rebuilt the defense, changed the scheme and developed several young players. He has also overcome adversity this season losing the best player at every level of defense for at least 3 weeks (Wilfork, Mayo and Talib) but despite that fact the defense is what kept us in the games this season up until Gronkowski’s return.

See, when I think of the defense turning around I think of 2 things...

Talib, and Belichick with his notepad and pencil. I think the offense is all McD and Brady, while the D is all BB

I think it will be someone from the outside and whilst that person might not be on anyone's radar right now, if I was to make a way too early prediction, I'd go for Kliff Kingsbury or Chip Kelly as, admittedly, complete guesses.

I had a nightmare in which BB retired and became GM, JM had a press conference and declared he resigned as the HC of the NEP. He signed with the jets and they traded their #1 pick. Fortunately I woke up.

Talib, and Belichick with his notepad and pencil. I think the offense is all McD and Brady, while the D is all BB

Not really. We saw on football life that Brady and BB meets every week to discuss game planning.

Could I ask - what about the offense do you attribute to Josh McDaniels? It's was very productive in the 3 season McDaniels was gone. O'Brien and Bellichick were the engineers behind the tight end centered offense,

Could I ask - what about the offense do you attribute to Josh McDaniels? It's was very productive in the 3 season McDaniels was gone. O'Brien and Bellichick were the engineers behind the tight end centered offense,

And McDaniel's the spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft