PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonas Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can come to camp, cheap, and compete. So no reason to over guess at this point.

Was watching NFLN as background sound today. Vereen : I wouldn't be upset if NE had to overpay a bit to retain him. He fits what the Patriots do. Our OC is coming back. Vereen plays an important role.

Im not sure what to expect from him, it wouldn't surprise me to see him be the second back/short yardage back and it wouldn't surprise me if he is cut in training camp.

I hope he becomes a factor again, loved his consistency hitting the holes.

I feel like Bluont will get the majority of carries or close to next year barring us striking gold in the draft. Either Jones, Ridley, or another acquisition will need to share a portion of the workload though. Bluount was acquired so late in the season and barely touched the ball in Pitt so most games another pure runner wasn't as necessary, next year will be differnt though as I bet Blount's our starter from week 1. I'm not the most confident in Ridley bouncing back from the injury but I wouldn't be suprised if he's at least given a chance. I'd be satisfied with Bluont and Gray sharing the load and still think it could go either way if each is given ample opportunities to win the starter role.

I really liked Gray's running style. He runs low to the ground and hits the hole pretty violently (similar to Ridley). That's the complete opposite of Blount, who runs extremely physical but way too upright. I'm actually surprised Gray wasn't active for the SB. His style would've been much more effective against the fast, athletic Seattle defense. Blount's style allows those fast defenders to get leverage under him way too often.

With very few holes on this team and an above average rb draft class, this would be an optimal time to possibly blow it up. I am very excited to see Gaffney because he came from the panthers, a team that seems to have an eye for above average running backs.

Folks seem to want to predict the final 2015 53-man roster. There is no reason to do that until August. Until then, Gray is under contract (at minimum pay) and will compete with others in camp. As of now, we have 5 RB's coming into camp: Blount, Gray, Bolden, White and Gaffney. We'll see whether either or both of Vereen and Ridley are re-signed.
Dion Lewis says hi!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6483/dion-lewis

Folks seem to want to predict the final 2015 53-man roster. There is no reason to do that until August. Until then, Gray is under contract (at minimum pay) and will compete with others in camp. As of now, we have 5 RB's coming into camp: Blount, Gray, Bolden, White and Gaffney. We'll see whether either or both of Vereen and Ridley are re-signed.

Just wanted to emphasize this point.

Sure, it's fun to speculate and make predictions. But the reality is nobody, not even Gray or BB, knows yet what will happen to him in 2015. Maybe he works his ass off this off-season and he comes back much improved. Maybe he shows up fat.

But he's under contract, we don't need to decide anything on him yet. So why not let him come in and compete for a job?

The only sure thing after this SB is that teams will overpay for Vereen. That was almost certain but after his great game that's definitely for sure. I can almost see the Colts giving the big bucks for him, it would fit like a glove.

We need to prepare for life after Vereen.

It's easy to find a guy who can run the ball -- as BB points out, to run the ball you're doing the same things you learned in Pop Warner.

It's much harder to find a guy who can also pass block at a pro level. So when a young RB who's obviously a good ball-carrier can't get reps, my first guess is that his blocking is lacking. That said, blocking isn't a strong point for Blount either.

The only sure thing after this SB is that teams will overpay for Vereen. That was almost certain but after his great game that's definitely for sure. I can almost see the Colts giving the big bucks for him, it would fit like a glove.

We need to prepare for life after Vereen

Gee I hope not but I said something similar regarding Vereen in another thread.

I'd like to see them take a RB. I don't trust blount against anyone who's not the colts and Vareen isnt a great runner(he's excellent in the passing game though)

Belichick is doing all he can with regard to plans if Vereen should leave. He drafted White. He re-signed Bolden. He has potential competition in Gaffney and Lewis.

If Vereen leaves, I'm sure that Belichick will look at free agents (likely not finding one for the right price) and/or draft another running back.

Of course, perhaps Vereen is as valuable to us as he is to other teams, and Belichick will pay him. After all, the market price for running backs is NOT huge. It has been greatly depressed over the passed few years.

I'd like to see them take a RB. I don't trust blount against anyone who's not the colts and Vareen isnt a great runner(he's excellent in the passing game though)
We did that last year. The draft is no guarantee of a rookie contributor. But yes, I agree that we should draft a running back or two, depending on who we re-sign.

No need to bring in another RB. If you're going to try to improve the running game, do it by bolstering the interior OL.

No need to bring in another RB. If you're going to try to improve the running game, do it by bolstering the interior OL.

I don't know, we had to go full Brady against Baltimore and Seattle because the running game could not get a 1st down.

In the SB Blount actually had some runs in the beginning until they figured out him completely.

Brady was fantastic but even the GOAT can get some help from a talented above average RB. I agree on the OL and I've been saying that we should draft another OL with the 1st round pick and keep improving but I think we are playing with jags at RB for a long time.

Gray can retire. He had an entire career in one game. First start, breaks team record, wins game, get a Sports Illustrated cover, and now he has a ring.

Maybe he can be an analyst for ESPN or something.

I don't know, we had to go full Brady against Baltimore and Seattle because the running game could not get a 1st down.

In the SB Blount actually had some runs in the beginning until they figured out him completely.

Brady was fantastic but even the GOAT can get some help from a talented above average RB. I agree on the OL and I've been saying that we should draft another OL with the 1st round pick and keep improving but I think we are playing with jags at RB for a long time.

See I just don't believe that the running back makes the running game. In rare cases (Adrian Peterson or maybe Marshawn Lynch) that's true, but for 95% of running backs, they're as good as their OL is. If we're going to grab another running back in the draft, I wouldn't want him earlier than the 4th round.

Our OL is pretty good at pass blocking but for the most part cannot create holes in the running game. I am still unclear on the type of OL that Dave Googs prefers and if it fits with what Josh wants.

I agree with others that have said the best way to improve the run game is to improve run blocking. I think we need 2 drive blocking OG's. I really do not want the Pats to have to rely on TB dropping back 50 times a game. It works but makes me nervous because the Def just pins their ears and I am afraid TB is going to get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe