PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G

all the respect for Jimmy G. If we could have kept him or traded for him in 2020, I'd have been okay with that. But, at this point, not sure where he goes. Injuries are real for him. Maybe he catches on as a bridge guy in Denver or Miami (if Mike McDaniel becomes HC), but who wants to start over with a mediocre injury-plagued QB at 30? I feel bad for how his career played out.

If the 49ers had taken Brady up on his offer to play there, they’d be a dynasty. He wouldn't be on the verge of retiring either.

Garoppolo, healthy or unhealthy, isn’t that great. He isn’t a choker. He just doesn’t play at a high enough level. He’s a good quarterback…one of the twenty best in the world, but he’s outclassed against the best.

all the respect for Jimmy G. If we could have kept him or traded for him in 2020, I'd have been okay with that. But, at this point, not sure where he goes. Injuries are real for him. Maybe he catches on as a bridge guy in Denver or Miami (if Mike McDaniel becomes HC), but who wants to start over with a mediocre injury-plagued QB at 30? I feel bad for how his career played out.
I think Tampa should sign him just so he can actually replace Brady.

I think Carolina or the Colts should consider him.

Slim pickings for sure but I think there's a place for him somewhere.

9ers should probably just hang on for one more year and really see what Lance has first.

I never got the love for the guy. Yes, he had an incredible first half vs. Miami when he filled in for Brady, but otherwise he was more hype than production. And I don't know if Belichick loved the guy after he couldn't play vs. Buffalo with an injury that Brady most likely doesn't miss a down for as people think.

He will likely be cut by the 49ers because they will get no trade offers with his salary. He will likely have to compete for a starting job elsewhere.

The thing is that I am not sure Trey Lance will be ready to start in 2022, but the 49ers kinda have to start him now.

i think the love for him from staff & teammates was summed up in the article nicely......the guy checks all the intangible boxes you want out of a QB

tangibles have always been a question, especially with injuries, but his intangibles are what gets him the love

I like Jimmy. But it’s clear he’s spotty at best and while he can win to a certain degree, he also hits a wall in big situations at the highest level and stalls out. He had a chance last night to just finish off the game and he laid some duds. Same thing happened in SB 54. If he plays adequate on the final two drives of both those games he wins. I don’t want to say he is a choker because he plays well above his skill level, but he has a ceiling in how long his magic works.

That plus his injury history created a real problem. If he was always happy and getting deep in the playoffs fron 2017 on, you would just say “okay he keeps getting us here, now we just need one of these times for the team to step up and finish the deal in the final stretch. But he is injury prone. He does miss time. So he’s only hit the high mark twice and the fact that he becomes tired problem at the end is less justifiable. Now it’s less forgivable to get that far and then being the reason it falls apart in gut check time.

Unfortunately those two problems are why they 49’ers who are goof and do have a window are looking elsewhere

Jimmy G is what a true game manager looks like. He'll get a starting job somewhere, but he'll never be able to take over a game the way playoff QBs often need to in certain moments.

Jimmy went 3 for 9 for 30 yards and INT in the 4th quarter.

In 6 playoff starts, Jimmy has a 28.0 passer rating in the 4th, ranking last among 69 QBs w/ 30+ 4th quarter passes in playoffs since 1991.

63dy39.gif

I see a dozen + potential landing spots
  • New Orleans, possible replacement for FA Winston; better option at qb than Hill?
  • Tampa Bay, If Brady retires, which i'm not sure he is going to do, but he probably will
  • Cleveland, if they move on from Baker Mayfield, which i'm not sure they will do
  • Pittsburgh, 7 is gone... got nothing in the cupboard
  • Washington, Taylor Heineken isn't the answer
  • Indianapolis, Not sure he's much of an upgrade, if any, over Wentz though
  • Denver, but i imagine they are going to be all in on trying to land Rodgers
  • Green Bay, if the above happens
  • Seattle, If Wilson goes Waltzing Matilda
  • Carolina, he better than Darnold? maybe, probably; is better than Cam; think they make a run at wilson tbh
  • Detroit, Goff is not an answer to anything except the question what game was invented in Scotland
  • Houston, has a connection to Caserio, unless they stick with Mills, which they might just do
  • Miami, Tua is better, both are fragile though
  • New England, be a better back up than Hoyer or Stidham, really any team as a clipboard holder

Last edited:
People like to crap on Jimmy but when he's on the field the 49ers win and when he's out they lose.
He was on the field last night and they lost

If the 49ers had taken Brady up on his offer to play there, they’d be a dynasty. He wouldn't be on the verge of retiring either.

Garoppolo, healthy or unhealthy, isn’t that great. He isn’t a choker. He just doesn’t play at a high enough level. He’s a good quarterback…one of the twenty best in the world, but he’s outclassed against the best.
Agree. He's right there in the median. But that also means he would be an upgrade for a lot of teams. He'll be traded to a team that he wants to go to and he'll probably sign an extension as part of the deal.

People like to crap on Jimmy but when he's on the field the 49ers win and when he's out they lose.
That has more to do about the level of the backup QB in SF than Jimmy

I like JG but don’t love him. He didn’t get much help from his OL, plus I’m not sure that system is a fit. Mac > JG.

I see a dozen + potential landing spots
  • New Orleans, possible replacement for FA Winston; better option at qb than Hill?
  • Tampa Bay, If Brady retires, which i'm not sure he is going to do, but he probably will
  • Cleveland, if they move on from Baker Mayfield, which i'm not sure they will do
  • Pittsburgh, 7 is gone... got nothing in the cupboard
  • Washington, Taylor Heineken isn't the answer
  • Indianapolis, Not sure he's much of an upgrade, if any, over Wentz though
  • Denver, but i imagine they are going to be all in on trying to land Rodgers
  • Green Bay, if the above happens
  • Seattle, If Wilson goes Waltzing Matilda
  • Carolina, he better than Darnold? maybe, probably; is better than Cam; think they make a run at wilson tbh
  • Detroit, Goff is not an answer for anything except the question what game started in Scotland
  • Houston, has a connection to Caserio, unless they stick with Mills, which they might just do
  • Miami, Tua is better, both are fragile though
  • New England, be a better back up than Hoyer or Stidham, really any team as a clipboard holder
Jimmy's best spots are SF and NE.

I think that there is little reason for SF to replace Jimmy in his last year. They'd just need to sign another veteran. Folks thought that Jimmy would split time in 2021; now it might be 2022.

I like JG but don’t love him. He didn’t get much help from his OL, plus I’m not sure that system is a fit. Mac > JG.
I am right there with you. A large segment of this board seems to root for him to fail for some reason but I like him. That being said I think he is an average to above average starter who takes too many chances on risky throws. Mac is definitely more suited to what we have done here since I am not sure some of the throws Jimmy makes can be coached out of him at this point.
He was on the field last night and they lost
Lol well I meant more in general. Either way he had them in the super bowl two years ago and in the NFCCG this year.
That has more to do about the level of the backup QB in SF than Jimmy
Most teams will lose games if their starter misses an extended amount of time. Also Jimmy's backup is the guy they are about to shove him out the door for.

Jimmy's best spots are SF and NE.

I think that there is little reason for SF to replace Jimmy in his last year. They'd just need to sign another veteran. Folks thought that Jimmy would split time in 2021; now it might be 2022.
SF as a back up is an option, but realistically, he no longer has a roster spot in SF... has been replaced by Trey Lance, and I'm sure Shanahan doesn't want to have him looking over Lances shoulder and the GM was liking social media posts saying they should have left him in Cleveland... to boot, the 49ers have approximately 5m in cap space per OTC, and would immediately realize 25m in cap savings, with only 1.4m in dead cap space in a pre June 1 release or trade

nice little piece....

That was definitely a good read. Although, as much as I hate to say it, it was Garoppolo's head, not his thumb and shoulder, that cost him. He repeatedly made some poor decisions during the postseason and didn't play anywhere close to as well as he could have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he should have kicked and screamed and forced his way out last offseason and made Shanahan give him to Belichick for a reasonable sum. Instead, Belichick refused to budge when Shanahan tried to take advantage of their situation and the Patriots grabbed Mac Jones, which forced Garoppolo into a no-win situation with no clear landing spot and an uncertain future.

Good for us and I'm 100% glad we landed Jones over Garoppolo. But for Garoppolo, not forcing the issue blew his one chance at a stable situation with a coach who believed in him, and now his future is certainly up in the air.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back