PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G

People like to crap on Jimmy but when he's on the field the 49ers win and when he's out they lose.
He's a capable starter. Nobody debates that (I think). Vastly superior to the QBs that replace him when he's injured. Yet also nowhere near top 8 or so.
In SF in the last 5 years
JG 31-14
Everyone else 8-31

:eek:
Looks appropriate for a solid starter in the conversation for top 16 vs bottom tier backups who probably rank outside the top 50.

He is 33-14 in the regular season. A .702 win%. That's better than such QBs as

Thats better than everyone not named
Brady
Manning
Mahomes

In SF in the last 5 years
JG 31-14
Everyone else 8-31
:eek:

Well his coach has managed to give up a lead to the Pats and lose a Super Bowl and managed to lose another Super Bowl with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter and yesterday managed to lose a championship game with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. Yet, everyone says Jimmy G is at fault.
Yeah there's a real lack of killer instinct in Shanahan teams. At least in big games.

If the 49ers had taken Brady up on his offer to play there, they’d be a dynasty. He wouldn't be on the verge of retiring either.

Garoppolo, healthy or unhealthy, isn’t that great. He isn’t a choker. He just doesn’t play at a high enough level. He’s a good quarterback…one of the twenty best in the world, but he’s outclassed against the best.

One of the things that gets overlooked with Jimmy is how he's been coached in 'Frisco. I think Shanahan not only has handled him terribly from a preparation standpoint but also treated him like crap with the Lance fiasco. Had he stayed in New England or gone elsewhere with a more stable, smarter environment to draw from I think we'd be seeing a different player. At this point he's probably beyond a full rehab.

But each of the other guys were playing much better than Jimmy heading into the SB. Joe Flacco was great that entire postseason. He won Baltimore games.

So unless the Niners somehow become the 85 Bears on D, it's time to try something else.

For a franchise that had Montana & Young, the standard should be higher.
I didn’t meant to imply that Jimmy was playing at that level, but point is regardless of Jimmy or who it is, you can’t tell who will have that great year. Who would have guessed that when Foles came in for Wentz he would play that well. The funny thing is, it’s quite possible that if Tart doesn’t drop that int. we are all asking whether Stafford can ever do it. It’s also quite possible that the niners decide to move on and they go back to their .500 ball pre Jimmy. Who knows?

One of the things that gets overlooked with Jimmy is how he's been coached in 'Frisco. I think Shanahan not only has handled him terribly from a preparation standpoint but also treated him like crap with the Lance fiasco. Had he stayed in New England or gone elsewhere with a more stable, smarter environment to draw from I think we'd be seeing a different player. At this point he's probably beyond a full rehab.
I want to agree but have a hard time questioning the intelligence of a guy who's captained his way to 3 conference title games and 2 SB appearances in 5 years, all without a crazy elite qb. Same guy who coached Matt Ryan to an mvp season.

Glad we drafted Mac Jones instead of trading for Jimmy. Mac in his rookie year is basically what Jimmy is now.

Jimmy isn't a bad QB per say. There's a reason the niners record is better with him than without. But he's in the level of a Ryan tannehill. He can win you NFL games but he can't elevate when you need a got to have it play.

There will be a market for him because let's face it he is better than alot of guys starting. But I can see why the niners want to move on. Went to NFCCG with 2 tds and 3 interceptions and only one game over 200 passing yards.

Lance just has to be marginally better than that. Say 3 tds and 2 interceptions and it's an improvement.

I want to agree but have a hard time questioning the intelligence of a guy who's captained his way to 3 conference title games and 2 SB appearances in 5 years, all without a crazy elite qb. Same guy who coached Matt Ryan to an mvp season.

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, maybe a lack if wisdom. Shanahan deserves credit for those things but that doesn't mean he hasn't mishandled JG.

Jimmy is good. It feels like he is squarely in Alex Smith territory. Smith consistently won in his final years for both the 49ers and Chiefs, but couldn't get either over the hump. He was eventually replaced with Kapp and then Mahommes.

Losing franchises should be banging at his door. Durability is a massive issue but his ability to win shouldn't be taken for granted. Besides the Cowboys, I could see just about any team in the NFC east and south instantly improved with his addition. The Steelers or Bucs would probably be his ideal landing spots imo.

Jimmy is good. It feels like he is squarely in Alex Smith territory. Smith consistently won in his final years for both the 49ers and Chiefs, but couldn't get either over the hump. He was eventually replaced with Kapp and then Mahommes.

Losing franchises should be banging at his door. Durability is a massive issue but his ability to win shouldn't be taken for granted. Besides the Cowboys, I could see just about any team in the NFC east and south instantly improved with his addition. The Steelers or Bucs would probably be his ideal landing spots imo.

alex smith is a great comparison imo. He usually had winnning records. Heck, he even helped get wft to the playoffs a year ago. Only thing is jg isnt as durable as smith was

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, maybe a lack if wisdom. Shanahan deserves credit for those things but that doesn't mean he hasn't mishandled JG.
If Jimmy hits a wide open receiver he has a ring.
If Jimmy converts on either game deciding opportunity yesterday, he is in another.
That’s not Shanahans fault.
I really don’t think the coach hurt his feelings us a viable excuse.

People like to crap on Jimmy but when he's on the field the 49ers win and when he's out they lose.
I hear ya, but doesn’t that just mean the guy behind him is worse, like most backup qb’s?

If Jimmy hits a wide open receiver he has a ring.
If Jimmy converts on either game deciding opportunity yesterday, he is in another.
That’s not Shanahans fault.
I really don’t think the coach hurt his feelings us a viable excuse.
Shannahan is a great coach imo. Its on the players at the end of the day to execute. We mock him but if just ONE thing goes his way then 28-3 isn't an historic game and Jimmy didn't deliver when given the chance. Shanahan finds a running game no matter who is in at rb no matter the opponent just like his father did which is crazy to see again in todays passing league.

I would love to see what Kyle could do with a team like the Lions. Losing is in their dna and it would take something special to make them consistently competitive.

Glad we drafted Mac Jones instead of trading for Jimmy. Mac in his rookie year is basically what Jimmy is now.

Jimmy isn't a bad QB per say. There's a reason the niners record is better with him than without. But he's in the level of a Ryan tannehill. He can win you NFL games but he can't elevate when you need a got to have it play.

There will be a market for him because let's face it he is better than alot of guys starting. But I can see why the niners want to move on. Went to NFCCG with 2 tds and 3 interceptions and only one game over 200 passing yards.

Lance just has to be marginally better than that. Say 3 tds and 2 interceptions and it's an improvement.
Lance isn't going to be facing the Central Arkansas secondary anymore.

Shannahan is a great coach imo. Its on the players at the end of the day to execute. We mock him but if just ONE thing goes his way then 28-3 isn't an historic game and Jimmy didn't deliver when given the chance. Shanahan finds a running game no matter who is in at rb no matter the opponent just like his father did which is crazy to see again in todays passing league.

I would love to see what Kyle could do with a team like the Lions. Losing is in their dna and it would take something special to make them consistently competitive.Garoppolo will be an easy target but in truth the game was lost well before that, and the quarterback had nothing to do with it. Garoppolo played reasonably well at times, hitting a pair of touchdown passes to give his team a 17-7 lead headed to the fourth quarter. He also missed some throws, particularly a deep ball early to George Kittle that may have been a touchdown. Still, his team was in control.
Paul Perillo wrote this on Patriots.com This is the same perspective I had. That play with Williams in motion was terrible. It worked once in Green Bay and failed the next two times.

"Garoppolo will be an easy target but in truth the game was lost well before that, and the quarterback had nothing to do with it. Garoppolo played reasonably well at times, hitting a pair of touchdown passes to give his team a 17-7 lead headed to the fourth quarter. He also missed some throws, particularly a deep ball early to George Kittle that may have been a touchdown. Still, his team was in control.
And then his coach Kyle Shanahan got tight – where have we seen that before?
San Francisco led 17-14 early in the fourth quarter and had the ball. Garoppolo hit passes of 21 and 12 yards to move out toward midfield. A run created a second-and-1 from the Rams 44, and Shanahan refused to let his quarterback throw the ball again.
After Elijah Mitchell was dropped for a 1-yard loss, Shanahan decided to try fullback Kyle Juszczyk and came up empty. Still, it was fourth-and-2 from the Rams 45 and L.A. coach Sean McVay foolishly tried to challenge a possible fumble by Juszczyk, allowing Shanahan time to come up with a play to move the chains.
His response was to try to draw the Rams offside, which failed. Moments later the Rams tied the score, forced a three-and-out, then kicked the go-ahead field goal with 1:46 to go. At that point the momentum had completely been lost, and Aaron Donald hounded Garoppolo throughout that final series.
Garoppolo's last play with San Francisco was ugly but in reality, he had no alternative. It was third-and-13 with 1:19 left, and Garoppolo couldn't afford to take a sack. He tried to make a play and it failed, but if Shanahan had tried to make a play earlier the outcome may have been different.

Instead, he now has to live with being the coach involved on blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl (to the Patriots) and a pair of 10-point fourth quarter leads in the Super Bowl (to Kansas City) and NFC title game. That's not a label he figures to escape easily."

Paul Perillo wrote this on Patriots.com This is the same perspective I had. That play with Williams in motion was terrible. It worked once in Green Bay and failed the next two times.

"Garoppolo will be an easy target but in truth the game was lost well before that, and the quarterback had nothing to do with it. Garoppolo played reasonably well at times, hitting a pair of touchdown passes to give his team a 17-7 lead headed to the fourth quarter. He also missed some throws, particularly a deep ball early to George Kittle that may have been a touchdown. Still, his team was in control.
And then his coach Kyle Shanahan got tight – where have we seen that before?
San Francisco led 17-14 early in the fourth quarter and had the ball. Garoppolo hit passes of 21 and 12 yards to move out toward midfield. A run created a second-and-1 from the Rams 44, and Shanahan refused to let his quarterback throw the ball again.
After Elijah Mitchell was dropped for a 1-yard loss, Shanahan decided to try fullback Kyle Juszczyk and came up empty. Still, it was fourth-and-2 from the Rams 45 and L.A. coach Sean McVay foolishly tried to challenge a possible fumble by Juszczyk, allowing Shanahan time to come up with a play to move the chains.
His response was to try to draw the Rams offside, which failed. Moments later the Rams tied the score, forced a three-and-out, then kicked the go-ahead field goal with 1:46 to go. At that point the momentum had completely been lost, and Aaron Donald hounded Garoppolo throughout that final series.
Garoppolo's last play with San Francisco was ugly but in reality, he had no alternative. It was third-and-13 with 1:19 left, and Garoppolo couldn't afford to take a sack. He tried to make a play and it failed, but if Shanahan had tried to make a play earlier the outcome may have been different.

Instead, he now has to live with being the coach involved on blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl (to the Patriots) and a pair of 10-point fourth quarter leads in the Super Bowl (to Kansas City) and NFC title game. That's not a label he figures to escape easily."
That doesn’t change the fact that in the last two possession of the game for SF Jimmy went 1/6 for -3 yds!

SF has always been a running team. They never gameplan to put the ball in Jimmy’s hand. If Shanahan would have thrown the ball on 2nd & 1 and again on 3rd down Perillo would have said that he should have ran instead of trying to pass.

Imagine what we would have said if the Patriots are in 2nd & 1 threw twice and Mac didn’t convert. We would be screaming at Josh for not running Harris.

Garropolo was nowhere to be found when SF needed him to make a play. It was already the case two years ago.

I would love to see what Kyle could do with a team like the Lions. Losing is in their dna and it would take something special to make them consistently competitive.
I wouldn’t call him a great coach. His record as a coordinator belies his reputation ( his offenses ranked in the 20s in scoring 5 of his 9 years as an OC.)
He’s been a mixed bag in SF with a losing overall record and 3 bad years out of 5, but did ok in the playoffs when he got there.

28-3 had a ton to do with him. Doing the wrong thing and saying if it was executed better he would have been ok is kind of a lame excuse. They literally could have taken a knee every play during the comeback and done better.

Not sure how we would make Detroit a consistent winner when he hasnt done it in SF and was never part of a consistent winner on any team he has ever coached on.

I never got the love for the guy. Yes, he had an incredible first half vs. Miami when he filled in for Brady, but otherwise he was more hype than production. And I don't know if Belichick loved the guy after he couldn't play vs. Buffalo with an injury that Brady most likely doesn't miss a down for as people think.

He will likely be cut by the 49ers because they will get no trade offers with his salary. He will likely have to compete for a starting job elsewhere.

The thing is that I am not sure Trey Lance will be ready to start in 2022, but the 49ers kinda have to start him now.

When he played here and was healthy he was incredible in our system
He went to a superbowl in SanFran and then an NFC title game.

When he's healthy he's a superbowl quality qb.

Lance isn't going to be facing the Central Arkansas secondary anymore.
If Lance can’t be better than Jimmy G then the pick was wasted.
Where he played and who he played against in college doesn’t determine his ability, it just makes it easier to evaluate him incorrectly. He has had a year in the NFL. He cost them 3 1s. He needs to be on the field week 1.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back