PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Bill Belichick is done, here’s who could replace him in New England

You really need to stop living in the past. There's a dozen HCs in their 30s/40s that have winning records or brought their teams to playoffs or turned them around.

- Dan Campbell took the garbage that Fat Matt left behind (BB-tree), wins division in year 3
- Mike McDaniel back-2-back playoffs
- Zac Taylor took his team to SB in year 3
- Nick Sirianni took his team to SB in year 2
- Stefanski, in playoffs again w/ Joe Flacco
- McVay in playoffs a year after blowing up his team.
- Shanahan always fields a contender
- McDermott won division 4 straight years
- Matt LaFleur in playoffs again same year he lost franchise QB
- Kevin O'Connell wins division his 1st season
- Demico Ryan, rookie HC wins division in 1st year
- Shane Steichen brings team 1 gm from making playoffs in his rookie season w/ a back-up QB.

And before you ask how many SBs they've won, you first need to make the playoffs, be competitive. I'll take what these young coaches are doing over the **** show sub .500 crap that Bill's been putting out.
there is a lot of truth to this... and it is the most compelling rationale I have heard to move on from Belichick... Time for a new voice as maybe the old guard has gotten tired...

but there are also a slew of first time coaches that have not panned out... which can leave a team in the dumps for an extended period of time...

there is a lot of truth to this... and it is the most compelling rationale I have heard to move on from Belichick... Time for a new voice as maybe the old guard has gotten tired...

but there are also a slew of first time coaches that have not panned out... which can leave a team in the dumps for an extended period of time...
Yes, of course: Staley, Arthur Smith, Kingsbury, Nagy, Rhule, etc. There's always risk when hiring coaches or players. It's the nature of any business. That's not a reason to not make a move.

The Patriots are a professional organization worth billions. There's no reason to fear they won't conduct a thorough evaluation in search of a proven, competent GM and HC.

IMO, they should scrap most of Belichick's philosophies and approach, and start new. This is the perfect opportunity: search for a franchise QB, top 3 pick, $74M cap, etc. Go after offensive minded people that better understand the modern young players mindset and talents. Modernize analytics department. Staff the **** up. Bring in talent on all 3 phases w/ an emphasis on the offense. Eliminate favoritism and nepotism. Engage with the fan base and give them a reason to be excited about the future.

Of course, all of this takes time. Re-evaluate at year 4.

Better be Mike Vrabel. He took a pos team and beat super bowl champion Doug Pedersen's divison leading squad. Something Bill couldn't or wouldn't do with the Goat since he had a point to make.

The Patriots are a professional organization worth billions. There's no reason to fear they won't conduct a thorough evaluation in search of a proven, competent GM and HC.
Are we sure Robert is not distracted again....

monty python wink GIF

I am reading Sirianni might be in danger if the iggles collapse continues.
The thought is maybe his OC and DC who both got to be HC this year, were the prime movers on that team

Does anyone know if Mayo is the guy do the Pats still have to follow the Rooney rule ?

Will they get a 3rd round draft pick if they hire him?

Does anyone know if Mayo is the guy do the Pats still have to follow the Rooney rule ?

They have to follow the Rooney Rule unless they have a formal succession plan in place, which by all accounts does not exist. No comp picks for internal promotions, only if he’s hired to be another team’s HC.

They have to follow the Rooney Rule unless they have a formal succession plan in place, which by all accounts does not exist. No comp picks for internal promotions, only if he’s hired to be another team’s HC.
Which he very well could be hired as a HC here or elsewhere.

No Mayo - he's too bent on proving something and I want someone who has proved something outside of BB's shadow.
BOB makes a ton of sense.
He's been successful at 4 different places and roles. He has recent experience in college, running his own program at Penn St. & Texans, and knows enough of the workings with the Pats - but not stuck in the "old system". I think he'd value a 2nd chance as HC in the NFL and he's a local guy. He could keep Mayo at DC if they agree. Bring back Pioli or Ziegler to inject some new blood into FA/Draft.

Which, is absurd. Think about it…

You can’t hire a black internal candidate until you conduct at least two sham interviews of other minority candidates even though you already made up your mind.

Add to that, minority candidates get angry at said sham interviews because they “aren’t being taken seriously”

NFL has set up a clown show process which defies common sense.

Don't think Belichick is getting fired at this point. They are working out the terms of him staying on.

I am reading Sirianni might be in danger if the iggles collapse continues.
The thought is maybe his OC and DC who both got to be HC this year, were the prime movers on that team

I wonder in how much more danger Siriani would've found himself if he had lost to Barfalo like he Really should have...

No Mayo - he's too bent on proving something and I want someone who has proved something outside of BB's shadow.
BOB makes a ton of sense.
He's been successful at 4 different places and roles. He has recent experience in college, running his own program at Penn St. & Texans, and knows enough of the workings with the Pats - but not stuck in the "old system". I think he'd value a 2nd chance as HC in the NFL and he's a local guy. He could keep Mayo at DC if they agree. Bring back Pioli or Ziegler to inject some new blood into FA/Draft.

Hard pass on a return to Foxborough of Ziggy the Pinhead. He was another member of Bill's F & Fs Plan here until Skippy took him to LV, whereupon he proceeded to help **** up that franchise too.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back