PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets & Vikings have agreements in principle with Branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
Here's an excerpt from that article:
The Patriots gave their holdout receiver until today to find another team willing to trade for him, and Branch found two – the Jets and an undisclosed NFC team. Newsday has learned that both teams have agreed on the parameters of a long-term contract with Branch, but that neither club has so far been able to agree on draft-choice compensation with the Patriots to complete a trade, according to multiple league sources.

The Jets acted almost immediately when the Patriots allowed Branch permission to seek a trade, and a contract agreement was reached late Monday. The NFC team reached agreement on a similar deal yesterday. Terms of the contract were not available, but league sources said the deals far exceeded what the Patriots had offered.
This just serves as a reminder that the market for any player (or any thing) is not set by the consensus opinion of value but by the one opinion of whoever believes the the person is worth the most. For example, you put your house on the market at the price suggested by a realtor, who has done a comparative market study. You expect to get 10% below your asking price after negotations. But it's your lucky day; someone falls in love with your house and is willing to give you your full asking price, or even more.

It seems that in the NFL there is always some fool willing to overpay. But, as someone else pointed out, the Jets offer may be just a ploy to make life tough for the Patriots, by convincing Branch he is worth what they are offering. The Jets make this offer to Branch knowing full well they do not intend to offer the Patriots enough compensation to make the trade interesting. But now they have put another nail in the coffin of Branch returning to the Pats.

dhamz said:
I want to say it was 6/31 but there is no way to tell what is better without the bonus #s.

I don't think we offered him a six year deal. IIRC we made an offer of a three year extension and a five year extension.

If the new team is offering to rip up his current deal, that's the clincher. It's also a very stupid front office.

dhamz said:
I want to say it was 6/31 but there is no way to tell what is better without the bonus #s.

Correct, as well as whether the bonusses are tiered, and whether as reported the Pats offer was an extension with this years salary remaining the same.

AndyJohnson said:
What was the reported offer the Pats made? 6/36 doesnt sound very far off?

My thoughts exactly. Newsday said substantially more. That isn't.

Face saving move for the agent? You know the Pats aren't budging without adequate compensation.

SeanBruschi54 said:
A first and a "pretty good player" huh?

Hmm... I wonder who they could get that would be tagged as pretty good.
If the "pretty good player" is the holdup maybe they could substitute Chatham, Dwight, Rasby, and Poteat to seal the deal :eek:

Jacky Roberts said:
Minnesota was the team I thought Branch would end up with. Makes sense from their perspective.
You hit the nail on the head with this one...CONGRATS!!!! Who will the Patriots get in return??? I hope they fleece the Vikes...and the team will play them later..even better.!!

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not. From profootballtalk.com.
Yup, it was.

Last edited:
AndyJohnson said:
What was the reported offer the Pats made? 6/36 doesnt sound very far off?

It all depends on the structure, but 6/36 sounds perfectly reasonable under the new and expanding cap. IF Branch stays healthy and plays well, by the end of that deal he'd probably be holding out again. :rolleyes:

Sundayjack said:
POSTED 11:36 a.m. EDT, September 1, 2006
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not. From profootballtalk.com.

Just saw this myself. Depending on who the player is, this could be a great deal for the Pats.

Bobs My Uncle said:
If the "pretty good player" is the holdup maybe they could substitute Chatham, Dwight, Rasby, and Poteat to seal the deal :eek:

Please, please let it be a TE. LOL

mikey said:
With Brady approaching the zenith of his career, we are just throwing away our BEST opportunity to pick up our 4th Lombardi.

Big Mike nailed it... I would rather see the Patriots be a bit more aggressive in their FA dealings, as good as we are at managing the cap it takes players to win the Superbowl. We need more than a draft pick to catch balls from Brady. Our defense is not dominant like in past years and we will need to score points. This will be difficult without some NFL caliber receivers.

5 years from now BB will be gone, Brady will be old. I would rather have some more Superbowls than be like the Braves and "be in the hunt" each year.

Best case
- sign Branch

Other options
- trade Branch for a draft pick and hopefully someone throws in a 3rd string receiver
- trade a 3rd for Porter

WRs could look like
Porter, Caldwell, Jackson, Brown and take your pick of:
Justin McCareins (NYJ), Travis Taylor (Min), Bobby Engram (Min) Nate Burleson (Min)

I guess the good news is that it may be over soon... In summary I echo Mike's thoughts and would like to see more players brought in to win now with Brady in his prime. I would trade a down year or two for a championship, especially in the NFL where teams can rebound from year to year.

If Dewayne Robertson is involved in this ordeal I will ***** and fall back in it. :eek:

Ceresco said:
I wasn't kidding, I think they would probably throw in D'Brickashaw Ferguson too. BRANCH IS THAT GOOD!!! :rolleyes:

So true!
Brady says he's the key to the offense.
These teams think he's worth franchise numbers.
Even humble Branch himself wouldn't deny it.
:)

cstjohn17 said:
Big Mike nailed it... I would rather see the Patriots be a bit more aggressive in their FA dealings, as good as we are at managing the cap it takes players to win the Superbowl. We need more than a draft pick to catch balls from Brady. Our defense is not dominant like in past years and we will need to score points. This will be difficult without some NFL caliber receivers.

5 years from now BB will be gone, Brady will be old. I would rather have some more Superbowls than be like the Braves and "be in the hunt" each year.

Best case
- sign Branch

Other options
- trade Branch for a draft pick and hopefully someone throws in a 3rd string receiver
- trade a 3rd for Porter

WRs could look like
Porter, Caldwell, Jackson, Brown and take your pick of:
Justin McCareins (NYJ), Travis Taylor (Min), Bobby Engram (Min) Nate Burleson (Min)

I guess the good news is that it may be over soon... In summary I echo Mike's thoughts and would like to see more players brought in to win now with Brady in his prime. I would trade a down year or two for a championship, especially in the NFL where teams can rebound from year to year.

maybe if wanted Porter..we would of given the 3rd for him. but..they want 2 first rounders for him so tough ****

guys, he isn't going to the Jets.

(1) a 2nd round pick won't do it. BB can trade Branch for a 2nd round pick next year no problem.

(2) The Jets would be S T U P I D to give up a 1st, because at best they are a 5-11 or 6-10 team.

Branch could go to the Seahawks. I live in the State of Washington, and I can tell you that the Seahawks have Paul Allen (from Microsoft) who will dish out the signing bonus. He's ranked the SIXTH richest guy in the freakin' world and be believes his Seahawks are on the brink in the weak NFC. He already got Julian Peterson OLB from the 49ers, re-signed Alexander and Walter Jones and Hasselback.

Remix 6 said:
maybe if wanted Porter..we would of given the 3rd for him. but..they want 2 first rounders for him so tough ****

You mean like we want 2 first rounders for Branch?

I am just throwing ideas out there, without Branch our WRs look pretty shaky, IMO. My original point was that the Pats should be loading up now, who cares about 3-4 years from now, Brady will be past his prime.

Couple Things.......The Patriots have to come out of this with equal or greater value no matter what. This thing has played out as I have always thought it would.........The Patriots are being Fair with there offer to Deion....but of course there is always going to be a couple of teams who will pay more depending on there needs and circumstances. We can't expect the Pats to compete with this for everyone of there starters.......This startegy of teams overpaying hasn't worked..Redskins prime example. The Patriots know who are vital pieces and they act accordingly .......which usually accompanies the right mindset from the Player...Brady...Branch however is clearly looking at the $$$$$bottom line only...I think that was obvious to BB/Pioli and they did what they had to do. It's crazy to think that BB/Pioli didn't figure that there would at least be a couple teams who would offer more...I think they have thought this through from all angles......But th ereturn on this deal is key. Second.....If Jackson can get on the field healthy and we add a solid WR through trade or cuts......I'm not concerned and in the end I think the Pats will fare better.

PATRIOTS-80 said:

(1) a 2nd round pick won't do it. BB can trade Branch for a 2nd round pick next year no problem.

(2) The Jets would be S T U P I D to give up a 1st, because at best they are a 5-11 or 6-10 team.

Branch could go to the Seahawks. I live in the State of Washington, and I can tell you that the Seahawks have Paul Allen (from Microsoft) who will dish out the signing bonus. He's ranked the SIXTH richest guy in the freakin' world and be believes his Seahawks are on the brink in the weak NFC. He already got Julian Peterson OLB from the 49ers, re-signed Alexander and Walter Jones and Hasselback.
I understand the Seahawks but will the Patriots want a high first rounder compared to a lower one from the Jets (wishful thinking). Also would the Seahawks chuck in a "pretty good player"

PATRIOTS-80 said:

I think this is a GREAT point. Any trade has to include a player who will be useful this season, or a package of draft picks that absolutely blow you away. Otherwise the Pats can just let Branch stew for the season then franchise him and collect a decent pick from a trade partner after the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft