PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets & Vikings have agreements in principle with Branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its Minnesota, I think we could get Williamson from them and a 1st rounder, and I would do it in a heartbeat. Let's not forget they traded Moss for a bunch of nothing then went and traded Culpepper for a second rounder, leaving themselves with old man Brad Johnson at QB. Why do I think Minny might make this move because it could put them over the top in a pretty average to subpar NFC North division.

The Jets might buy into the "overpay for ex-Pats" players theory we have been seeing since the dynasty started, where guys like Givens, Andruzzi and others have been overpaid because they won a ring. Only problem with the Jets is they don't have a WR we would want back, as I am not a fan of McCariens or Coles and I doubt they part with Vilma, even though they would potentially have a higher 1st rounder next draft, only because the Jets are worse off than Minnesota and do not have four potental gimme wins like Minn has going against Farve's Packers and the Lions.

The more teams the better. It means better compensation for the Pats.

Bella*chick said:
Cold Pizza said the NFC team is undisclosed but is believed to be the Seahawks.

That would actually make more sense to me. Their #1 has an injury that could keep him out of the first half of the season. The jury is still out on their #2. And their #3 is 35 or so. Plus they're in their Super Bowl window.

They also figure to have a low #1 pick, so it could happen.

Remix 6 said:
i hope your kidding? A top 5 YOUNG LB for a 2nd tier WR..thats a joke. Jets wouldnt even consider moving Vilma

I wasn't kidding, I think they would probably throw in D'Brickashaw Ferguson too. BRANCH IS THAT GOOD!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I still don't understand why there is so much glee about getting rid of Branch.

The reality is that without Branch, our chance of winning our 4th Lombardi is severely diminished this year.

With Brady approaching the zenith of his career, we are just throwing away our BEST opportunity to pick up our 4th Lombardi.

The 2006 Superbowl XLI Lombardi is "ripe for OUR picking".

(a) The Colts just lost Edgerrin James.
(b) Palmer and Roethlisberger are just coming back from a major injury.
(c) The Steelers have the big bulls-eye on their back.
(d) Jay Cutler is a year away from starting.
(e) Steve McNair is just learning the offense.

In the next few years, it will much harder to win it all.

I still don't see the rationale in getting rid of almost all our key players.

No matter how good Pioli and Belichick are there is always risk in bringing in outside players.

Just look at who they brought in: Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, and Chad Brown. And even Corey Dillon is starting to look like a poor long-term signing. We could have drafted Stephen Jackson instead.

mikey said:
I don't think there is but there is glee about getting value from the player whether on the field or otherwise - as opposed to sitting his ***** ass at home.

It only lacked Mikey's wisdom to make this the perfect morning! :D

:singing: chim-chimanee, chim-chimanee, chim chim chareee, good luck will rub off when you don't buy wide receivers for Bradeeee... :singing:

mikey said:
We could have drafted Stephen Jackson instead. .
We wouldn't have Vince Wilfork Though, and now we have Maroney who could end up being as good or better than Jackson down the line

BelichickFan said:
I don't think there is but there is glee about getting value from the player whether on the field or otherwise - as opposed to sitting his ***** ass at home.

AMEN. If he won't play for us, let's get something for him. The Pats will accept the BEST OFFER, nothing less, and the more teams the better, IMO.
The media believes that the Pats, were bluffing when they told Branch to seek a trade. How do they know that the Pats aren't just fed up with Branch and is agent and want to remove the distraction?

From PFT:

"BRANCH TO BROADWAY?

A league source tells us that the reports of a contract offer to Pats receiver Deion Branch are true, and that in fact two teams have ponied up a six-year, $36 million package.

One of the two teams, per the source, is the New York Jets.

If a deal goes through, the Pats will receive (we're told) a second-round draft pick and a "pretty good player."

But the source told us that perhaps there's been a snag, because the deal was supposed to be done as of Thursday night.

The other team in the running for the Super Bowl XXIX MVP is presently unknown to us. We're working on finding out who it is, but the Jets are considered to be favorite to land him.

Stay tuned."

My guess is the Patriots want a 1st and a "pretty good player." Who that "pretty good player" is, though, is the question. McCareins, maybe? Victor Hobson?

Last edited:
primetime said:
From PFT:

"BRANCH TO BROADWAY?

A league source tells us that the reports of a contract offer to Pats receiver Deion Branch are true, and that in fact two teams have ponied up a six-year, $36 million package.

If a deal goes through, the Pats will receive (we're told) a second-round draft pick and a "pretty good player."

But the source told us that perhaps there's been a snag, because the deal was supposed to be done as of Thursday night.

The other team in the running for the Super Bowl XXIX MVP is presently unknown to us. We're working on finding out who it is, but the Jets are considered to be favorite to land him.

Stay tuned."

What was the reported offer the Pats made? 6/36 doesnt sound very far off?

primetime said:
I feel like taking a nap and waking up when this is over ;)

primetime said:
From PFT:

"BRANCH TO BROADWAY?

Stay tuned."

I'm hoping for a three-way deal, so we can get a starting WR in the mix. Unless McCareins or Coles is the "Pretty Good Player". If it's Coles and a #2, that's a steal for us, IMO. I think Coles is better than Deion straight up IF he comes back from his broken toe OK.

Aldogg said:
If its Minnesota, I think we could get Williamson from them and a 1st rounder, and I would do it in a heartbeat.

That's a rip-off for the Vikings. They're expecting big things from Williamson and he's also looked pretty good in the preseason. Trading Williamson and a 1st rounder for Branch would be like trading two 1st rounders for him (which is insane).

primetime said:
From PFT:

"BRANCH TO BROADWAY?

Stay tuned."

My guess is the Patriots want a 1st and a "pretty good player." Who that "pretty good player" is, though, is the question. McCareins, maybe? Victor Hobson?
A first and a "pretty good player" huh?

Hmm... I wonder who they could get that would be tagged as pretty good.

BelichickFan said:
I feel like taking a nap and waking up when this is over ;)

How many are riveted to the screen - getting no work done, listening to Dale & Holley while constantly refreshing and trying to read all the posts?

AndyJohnson said:
What was the reported offer the Pats made? 6/36 doesnt sound very far off?

I want to say it was 6/31 but there is no way to tell what is better without the bonus #s.

mikey said:

The reality is that without Branch, our chance of winning our 4th Lombardi is severely diminished this year.

With Brady approaching the zenith of his career, we are just throwing away our BEST opportunity to pick up our 4th Lombardi.

No matter how good Pioli and Belichick are there is always risk in bringing in outside players.

Just look at who they brought in: Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, and Chad Brown. And even Corey Dillon is starting to look like a poor long-term signing. We could have drafted Stephen Jackson instead.

Who is getting rid of anyone..??? Ormaybe you have missed all that has transpired the past many months.. maybe you have been in a coma..I don't know.. Branch IS under contract..or did you not realize that..Branch has effectively walked away from the team...wanting more money. THAT is HARDLY getting rid of a player. .and I would NOT call him key. The SPOT of a WR is key..I agree one is needed to spread the field, but Deion?? Hardly key...Did you not remember that the team went after Derrick Mason last year?? THATwould have been really great if he signed..but he went to the Ravens. This drumbeat of getting players for Brady is just nonsense when the players are demanding more and more money, to the point of overvalue. The team MAY be diminished some without Branch, but with others filling that role, it may not be as severe as you and others think. What other key players did the team "get rid of"??? Methinks you are equating "getting rid of" with NOT over paying players and if you don't understand that, you hardly understand what has happened the last few years.

Last edited:
mikey said:

Sorry, I disagree Mr. Borges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey