PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo Interviewing For Browns DC Job

Is it kosher to admit that I am most disappointed to lose out on the two 3rd round picks that I was expecting, when he was eventually given a HC position?

Is it kosher to admit that I am most disappointed to lose out on the two 3rd round picks that I was expecting, when he was eventually given a HC position?
Just imagine that BB would spend those picks on players named Tavon Richards and Myles Ferentz, and you’ll get over it…. ;)

He might be the head coach of the Texans ;)

Just so his son can have a job...
Just curious where people come up with this stuff. If anything Bill has been holding back his own kid and it's been the benefit of a guy like Mayo. Not saying Mayo hasn't earned it by all reports everyone loves his coaching but he'd get little to no fanfare if Bill had named his kid DC after one unnamed year. Position coaches don't generally get much attention.

Just ask yourself a few questions. When was Stephen Hired as assistant? Who was the last named DC and what year was that? Who was the last unnamed coordinator before Stephen? and when did he leave? Now when was Mayo hired to be an assistant?

Just curious where people come up with this stuff. If anything Bill has been holding back his own kid and it's been the benefit of a guy like Mayo.

Where's this theory coming from?

Where's this theory coming from?
Just to be clear they both can be very good coaches. And I think Mayo's time as a player is worth something and maybe even worth him ascending to a HC.

My only point is take Mayo and Belichick's names out of it and just look at their coaching resumes, time in service, and promotions along the way and it looks little more clear.

What other coordinator in the past went more than one year without the title?

Matt Patricia

Where does the theory that Bill is holding Mayo back come from?

I don't believe that I claimed he was getting held back, but not having the DC tag does lower a coaches spot on the ladder, according to the NFL.

My only point is take Mayo and Belichick's names out of it and just look at their coaching resumes, time in service, and promotions along the way and it looks little more clear.

So, if you take out an important part of Mayo's resume, which is that he played and has that inherent knowledge of the game, you personally give an edge to BB's kid. That's not saying anything except that you're stacking the deck.

And don't get me wrong here, because I have no problem with coaches having their kids coaching, as long as the kids are good (See examples like Shanahan, Phillips, Ryan), and I'm not here bagging on BB's kids.

So, if you take out an important part of Mayo's resume, which is that he played and has that inherent knowledge of the game, you personally give an edge to BB's kid. That's not saying anything except that you're stacking the deck.

And don't get me wrong here, because I have no problem with coaches having their kids coaching, as long as the kids are good (See examples like Shanahan, Phillips, Ryan), and I'm not here bagging on BB's kids.
I didn't take anything away from Mayo I specifically brought it up because it is important but it doesn't get him around the fact that he was hired in 2019 and Stephen was already on track for the coordinator job at the time. And if anything I think BB recognized Mayo's abilities and came up with a way to allow them both to shine. That has it limits and Mayo wants to continue to grow and might even jump to HC it's nothing but good for both.

Any other team, Mayo would be DC and Bills kid would be a water boy.

Nepotism is really aggravating regardless of the industry.

- Mayo is good as gone. Make Patricia DC he is good there.
- ditch Joe Judge or let him fix special teams
- hire a real OL coach
- hire a real OC

There I did it

Any other team, Mayo would be DC and Bills kid would be a water boy.

Nepotism is really aggravating regardless of the industry.

- Mayo is good as gone. Make Patricia DC he is good there.
- ditch Joe Judge or let him fix special teams
- hire a real OL coach
- hire a real OC

There I did it
So your issue is that Stephen’s last name is Belichick. Not that he has run one of the most consistently good defensive units the last four years.

If this was any other team, Stephen would be getting more credit. Frankly, he should be looking to get a DC job somewhere to make his own mark, but maybe he likes working with his father.

Did Stephen get his first job through nepotism? Absolutely. Mayo also got his job with the Patriots because of his relationship with Bill Belichick. That doesn’t mean Stephen hasn’t performed well, he has.

Last edited:

And don't get me wrong here, because I have no problem with coaches having their kids coaching, as long as the kids are good (See examples like Shanahan, Phillips, Ryan), and I'm not here bagging on BB's kids

How did the defense perform this year? Did Stephen do a bad job?

How did the defense perform this year? Did Stephen do a bad job?
They did exactly what they did last year. Played well against bad teams, got overmatched by good teams.

Houston and Cleveland? I don't know about anyone else but I think highly of Mayo. I'd hate to think of him in either of those toxic (dis)organizations.

What other team fails to name official DC or OC? Only the Patriots. Not sure why people think that's some genius move. It's just so bill can avoid the "Rooney rule"

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back