PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo Interviewing For Browns DC Job

Mayo deserves the promotion. And maybe he's jumping ship at the right time.

There's gonna be a housecleaning in New England and it might get worse before it gets better around here.

Losing Jerod hurts. I never liked the look of having your son as the DC. Jerod has a natural credibility that players can't mess with. This one is going to hurt.
Yup. But he knew he was never going to get picked over baby belichick, even if he was a more deserving candidate. Mayo's a good dude and reportedly a good coach. I wish him the best in his new career.

Wow I'm shocked they are able to keep Mayo. Will be very interesting to see how he and Stephen split duties now. I'm guessing Mayo must be getting more of if not all the responsibility and I'm surprised.
Might be a HCiW/Assistant HC capacity role they are iterating over.

Might be a HCiW/Assistant HC capacity role they are iterating over.
Maybe with BB even closer to the end it makes more sense and maybe because he's a minority they can do it with the Rooney rule but they didn't do HCiW with Josh so might not be that big of an assurance but definitely would assume a large increase in responsibility and assistant HC could would definitely be big.

Wonder if Kraft stepped in to stop the brain drain of coaches in Foxboro.

I mean the only reason these guys end up leaving is because Bill wont give them the title. Basically Mayo would have the same role with the browns just with a new title.

Mayo ain't staying unless he's given the Official title of Defensive Coordinator, or at the very least Ass-istant HC, including a Significant bump in pay.

The 49ers don’t have an OC. The Texans didn’t have a DC. The Saints have co-DCs, a title that Mayo was allegedly offered but turned down.
That usually happens when the HC is calling plays on O or D though. Bill isn't calling the plays.

Last edited:
I've read that the Pats get two 3rds if Mayo (or any minority staff member) is signed as a HC/GM by another team.
No
Edit: appears so.

Last edited:
My working assumption is his son is calling the plays (what everyone seems to think). Naming Mayo DC would essentially be demoting his son - therefore no chance.
My understanding is Mr. Kraft interviewed Stephen and as soon as he left the room, he told Jonathan: tell Bill to extend Mayo ASAP.

Let's see how Mayo first does as his own DC before considering him as a legit HC candidate.
FYI

My comment should not be interpreted as an assessment (endorsement) of Mayo’s level of experience-ability to be a HC; but more an assessment of the level of desperation in owners hands in recent years.

guys w less ability or time on clock have already been offered HC jobs in last 3 years.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back