PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It cannot get much worse, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The OL played terrible on Sunday and honestly, it probably could not get much worse. With that in mind I am all for them just starting an OL of:

LT- Nate Solder
LG- Marcus Cannon
OC- Bryan Stork
RG- Cameron Fleming
RT- Sebastian Vollmer

At the end of the day this lineup puts are most physically talented players on the field together and with the right coaching they should be able to make it work. Why waste time with the likes of Devey and Wendell, if they are going to play like ****, why not just let the rookies play and make the same mistakes but at least it helps their development.

If Stork or Fleming is having a terrible game for whatever reason, you pull them out and stick Connolly in to calm things down for that game.

This may sound dumb to some, or impulsive but ultimately we drafted Stork and Fleming to likely play those positions along the line so why not just do it now early in the season, why wait 3-4 more weeks only to realize Devey and Wendell are not going to be able to help us.

Thoughts, opinions, or statements of outrage are welcome.

I think Fleming is still a bit too raw to play guard in a starting fashion right now. I'd like to see Solder-Cannon-Stork-Connolly-Vollmer. That puts the best comination of size, core strength, athleticism, and experience on the field. An interior OL of Cannon, Stork, and Connolly should be able to seal off the A and B gaps to give Brady a clean pocket.

I think Fleming is still a bit too raw to play guard in a starting fashion right now. I'd like to see Solder-Cannon-Stork-Connolly-Vollmer. That puts the best comination of size, core strength, athleticism, and experience on the field. An interior OL of Cannon, Stork, and Connolly should be able to seal off the A and B gaps to give Brady a clean pocket.

If either Stork or Fleming is ready to step in, we'll be much better off. If both, then even more so, but I agree with you that Fleming is probably a bit too raw right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Stork isn't.

If either Stork or Fleming is ready to step in, we'll be much better off. If both, then even more so, but I agree with you that Fleming is probably a bit too raw right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Stork isn't.

Stork has a few things going for him that Fleming doesn't...

1. National championship pedigree.

2. Time blocking in a pro-style offense.

3. Time blocking for a top tier QB.

4. NFL-caliber core strength.

5. Not switching positions.

That's pretty much why I think he'll be more ready to step in than Fleming will at this time. But we'll see. The team needs to do something, anything, to improve the OL at this point or Brady will get killed.

Stork has a few things going for him that Fleming doesn't...

1. National championship pedigree. Stanford was a top 10 team and has played in multiple BCS bowl games recently.

2. Time blocking in a pro-style offense. Stanford doesn't have a pro-style offense?

3. Time blocking for a top tier QB. ??? Fleming blocked for Andrew luck as a red-shirt freshman, and Kevin Hogan isn't chopped liver.

4. NFL-caliber core strength. ???

5. Not switching positions. Absolutely.

That's pretty much why I think he'll be more ready to step in than Fleming will at this time. But we'll see. The team needs to do something, anything, to improve the OL at this point or Brady will get killed.

I agree with your last sentence.

Ya I'd say go with Solder-Cannon-Stork-Connolly-Vollmer. With Fleming seeing reps as an extra OL throughout the games.

But then I get this feeling that they will run out Solder-Connolly-Wendell-Devey-Vollmer on Sunday.

I agree with your last sentence.

Ultimately, Stork played at the pinnacle of his sport in college, which is where the Pats ultimately want to be. He showed that he can protect an elite quarterback against elite competition. Not saying that Fleming didn't, just highlighting why I'm high on Stork. Ultimately, I think Stork is more ready to come in and contribute than Fleming simply because he doesn't have to switch positions. He's going to be playing the same position he played in college while Fleming is going to have to learn guard just like Cannon had to.

At some point(s) during the season, I could easily see us going with this configuration, depending on Fleming's rawness.

God help us if we're trotting out Wendell and Devey in the postseason.

Ya I'd say go with Solder-Cannon-Stork-Connolly-Vollmer. With Fleming seeing reps as an extra OL throughout the games.

But then I get this feeling that they will run out Solder-Connolly-Wendell-Devey-Vollmer on Sunday.

They had better no wear mouthpieces then. It will help when they have to turn around and scream "look out!", to Brady.

Coaching staff has been doing some odd and inexplicable things lately, but I doubt they're going to look at the OL they ran against Miami and decide they need to make it significantly worse.

Ultimately, Stork played at the pinnacle of his sport in college, which is where the Pats ultimately want to be. He showed that he can protect an elite quarterback against elite competition. Not saying that Fleming didn't, just highlighting why I'm high on Stork. Ultimately, I think Stork is more ready to come in and contribute than Fleming simply because he doesn't have to switch positions. He's going to be playing the same position he played in college while Fleming is going to have to learn guard just like Cannon had to.

I absolutely agree about the change in positions being a huge factor, which is largely why I also think Stork is likely to be ready sooner than Fleming.

To be honest, I have no clue what combination is best for the team. They all need to step up. That sh*t on Sunday was pathetic.

Well to be fair the worst pass protection play on Sunday wasn't the result of the OL. It was the result of having a sub-par pass blocking TE trying to block Wake

As much as I want Stork to eventually win the job at C, to say it can't get any worse shows a staggering lack of imagination. Stork ran three penalty laps in early camp for botched snaps, then got hurt, robbing him of precious time to sort that timing out. He might be fine by now, who knows, but take what happened in Miami and add a fumbled snap or a shotgun snap that sails over Brady's head and THAT is how it gets worse. Let's not rush change for change's sake based on one poor performance.

As much as I want Stork to eventually win the job at C, to say it can't get any worse shows a staggering lack of imagination. Stork ran three penalty laps in early camp for botched snaps, then got hurt, robbing him of precious time to sort that timing out. He might be fine by now, who knows, but take what happened in Miami and add a fumbled snap or a shotgun snap that sails over Brady's head and THAT is how it gets worse. Let's not rush change for change's sake based on one poor performance.

I don't think you'll be taking what happened in Miami, because ostensibly history would not repeat similarly with upgrades at OC and OG. So really what we'd be doing is making a tradeoff between improved play and increased risk (of miscommunication or botched snaps).

I don't think you'll be taking what happened in Miami, because ostensibly history would not repeat similarly with upgrades at OC and OG. So really what we'd be doing is making a tradeoff between improved play and increased risk (of miscommunication or botched snaps).

IF Stork is an upgrade right now over Connolly/Wendell. As a rookie, we have no way of knowing that for sure. He might be by year's end, or he might be right now, or he might be never, who knows. My point wasn't that it WOULD be worse, just that it most certainly CAN be worse. So I disagree with the OP's idea that "Eh, can't be worse, might as well just throw these kids into the fire."

Stork has experience but Fleming has more power and raw talent by far. Fleming routinely moved Lineman off the ball and crashed down on his side of the line and even guarded the edge without help.

Stork may be ready and experienced playing for florida state but he doesn't move defenders off the ball like Fleming did. Stork did a lot of helping out the guards which is why his power is still questioned because there's not much tape going one on one with big strong DTs. He seemed adequate in strength area, definitely better than Wendell but its still in question a little or else with his pedigree as top center on championship line with great fundamentals he would have been a round 2 pick at least or better if he had proven power on par with an Alex mack. But so far his strength game seems OK. Teams wish they had seen more one on one blocking and moving defenders off the ball to safely say he has NFL one on one power for a center but he has shown to be at least adequate so far. Outside of Robinson who is a very rare specimen, Fleming and Brandon Thomas were the strongest Tackles in the draft by far. He is also very intelligent with a great feel for blocking as he guarded the edge even though he doesnt quite show ideal athleticism for a tackle. His college coach saw him as a mauling guard but said he handled the edge but probably fits better as a mauling guard at nfl level.I think he would settle in at guard nicely.

I agree with Sicilian in that it can ALWAYS get worse.

I believe that a line of solder-cannon-stork-Connelly-vollmer would be our best bet. But I've time and time again proven my knowledge of nfl players is subpar so what do I know haha. For now I'll be going with in bill I trust. But another performance like Sunday with the same cast and there is going to HAVE to be a change.

Wendell is hurt.

Well, Belichick is usually slow to change - he stuck with the 3-4 about 4 or 5 years too long, so I don't see this happening.
Anyway, your join date is about 18 months ago and you have a ridiculous amount of posts - about 20 per day. Do you have a job? Wife? Kids? Or are you in high school/college? Just out of curiosity...I see folks on here with 40K posts and I wonder what do they do? Do they work? Do they sit in front of their computer watching Pats game film all day? Do they have their own families? When I was in my 20s I could post all day on KFFL - my job wasn't as demanding and I could be on it at home (pre smartphone btw) whenever I wanted. Now with a wife, house, mortgage, kids, etc., I have time to come on here and voice frustration a couple times a week....Just curious how folks have so much time to be so active - must be because these folks are young or don't have wives/kids....yes? Not meant to be offending anyone here - just very curious....
If you download Tapatalk the forum becomes as quick and easy as sending a text message.

That aside, my post count includes my older account that Ian was kind enough to merge into this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft