PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm not too concerned Goodell will punish the Patriots more - this is why

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next time they aren't gonna mess around. It will be BB and it'll be a year from all football operations.

I guarantee it was Belichick they desperately wanted as the primary target for deflategate

If you go to any football forum, some of the fans swear the NFL is out to get them. With NE (and NO), it is not paranoia because it's documented and history. ;)

Do Goodell and many of the NFL owners want to get the Pats? Yes. Is it all they think about? No. I've read posts that would suggest they are 24/7 scheming to screw the Pats. They are also spending time on CTE, discipline, other teams, making money, making money, making money.

I see this as a game of chicken: NFL front office vs Pats. BB is not going to do something that will get him suspended a season - Goodell knows he has to have a good case if he throws the book at him again. The NFL's PR has suffered from DeflateGate and other Goodell decisions - there is a limit to their autocracy.
To the contrary, Goodell has proven he can fabricate an infraction and dictate punishment with the approval of the 32. When they come after BB who is going stand up for him certainly not the submissive owner of the Pats. All Bob wants is to be allowed to sit at the big boy owner's table.

I'm not worried about it.......in fact, maybe they'll punish the pats again ..... since it appears to work so well

The pats are the equivalent to the guy whose face outlasts someone's fist

To the contrary, Goodell has proven he can fabricate an infraction and dictate punishment with the approval of the 32. When they come after BB who is going stand up for him certainly not the submissive owner of the Pats. All Bob wants is to be allowed to sit at the big boy owner's table.
You make it sound like Goodell is like a movie supervillian. That would suggest he was in no danger of being fired over the Ray Rice incident and should have made decisions that bad several times by now beyond DeflateGate. While Goodell can do damage, it's not unlimited. You can't put seven rounds into a six-shooter.

You make it sound like Goodell is like a movie supervillian. That would suggest he was in no danger of being fired over the Ray Rice incident and should have made decisions that bad several times by now beyond DeflateGate. While Goodell can do damage, it's not unlimited. You can't put seven rounds into a six-shooter.
He was in no danger of getting fired because his protectors Rooney and Mara supervising the Rice whitewash. Let me also remind you that his best buddy Kraft was the first and most vociferous supporter of the POS with words many times stronger that his essential employees BB and Brady. As long as he is punishing teams especially like the Pats whose owner is pathetically unwilling or unable to stand up to him, the punishments will continue.

I have to agree; he's pretending 2007 never happened. Like, it was "mild" stroke. A "mild" earthquake. A tremor? A "mild" Tsunami.

What will it take for him to do something? Like, in '02, the just-over-eight-year, nondescript (64-66) Bledsoe era was over, and clearly there's a special young man taking over at QB. Perfect time to restore our identity (logo and uniforms).

How about holding the inevitable and long-ovedue induction of Julius Adams into the team HOF before his death?

He was in no danger of getting fired because his protectors Rooney and Mara supervising the Rice whitewash. Let me also remind you that his best buddy Kraft was the first and most vociferous supporter of the POS with words many times stronger that his essential employees BB and Brady. As long as he is punishing teams especially like the Pats whose owner is pathetically unwilling or unable to stand up to him, the punishments will continue.

I'm having difficulty understanding this point: Goodell is unfireable as you assert, yet Kraft had to save his *** a couple of years ago. If one is bulletproof, why do they need someone to go to bat for them?

I'm having difficulty understanding this point: Goodell is unfireable as you assert, yet Kraft had to save his *** a couple of years ago. If one is bulletproof, why do they need someone to go to bat for them?
I don't know that Kraft's support made the difference, but it definitely made it easy.

His actions vis a vis the Patriots to date have been an attempt to return to "parity," which cannot be resurrected when one team continues to excel.

It's "Break Up The Patriots!" by other means - making it "their own fault."

I am not big on such analyses but at this point it is the only way that I can interpret the League's* actions, in particular Goodell's.

His actions vis a vis the Patriots to date have been an attempt to return to "parity," which cannot be resurrected when one team continues to excel.

I am not big on such analyses but at this point it is the only way that I can interpret the League's* actions, in particular Goodell's.
Of course, parity is the reality today, as it has been for generations since Rozelle...

Some franchises have been fortunate enough to have special coaches and players who have elevated them above, with talent and excellence.

Only difference between Steelers, Niners, Cowboys and Patriots is that New England are victims of made up nonsense for which they've been tangibly penalized by the league, undeniably altering competitive balance against the Patriots, no matter how well they are able to overcome it.

When it's all over this will be remembered as the finest dynasty ever assembled, because they did it in the FA/Salary Cap Era, combining a run comparable with SF's with a run similar to the shorter-lived Steelers and Cowboys years

And a few owners such as jerraaahh

I should say assembled, re-assembled, re-re-assembled, etc.

Montana-to-Rice... how important was that? Well, think of how relatively unimportant Brady-to-Moss is, measured against this long string of dominance.

You misunderstand Mara and Rooney are his protectors. Kraft is just the noisy caboose on the train.

You misunderstand Mara and Rooney are his protectors. Kraft is just the noisy caboose on the train.

Maybe to stop this I need to say this.

Goodell is invincible.
He is commissioner for life.
He has better job security than Vladmir Putin.
On any given bad hair day, he could sentence any team to penalties more severe than BountyGate, and nobody can do anything about it.
He can do anything he wants and fears no one.
Resistance is futile.

Satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results