PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I believe the Pats will make a big play for Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I believe the Pats will make a big play for Peppers.

not sure where the 3m savings comes from on the rookies, but the pats seem to like to spend the cap, and there's probably no rolling it over this season, so if you add the current 6m + green(??) + brady extension, I'd think you could work a peppers deal for some reasonable amount, assuming he really wants to take a reasonable amount.

I didn't say that the Pats saved 3M from the rookies. I said that between trading Hobbs (around 2.5M savings) and trading out of the 1st round (cost between a contract at 23 vs. a contract at 40) we probably saved upwards of $3M combined. That's where my $3M guestimate came from.

That is because either their agents brokered the deals or they demanded a trade and granted permission for their team to talk to potential suitors (as Edggerin James and Rosenhaus did with Polian in 2006 when they couldn't find any takers on their own...). Peppers hasn't done any of that in addition to not signing his tag. Remember in the Branch case BB gave Branch and his agent permission to seek a trading partner believing he wouldn't find one. Only he did and then they basically had to do a deal. If Peppers gave Carolina permission to talk to potential trading partners, they could - even absent signing the tag. He hasn't done that. In fact his own agent stated several weeks ago that absent them finding a deal his client would not have a problem with playing for Carolina under the tag as the highest paid player in football in 2009...

The Bills and Falcons very publically negotiated a trade of a franchised Peerless Price who hadn't sign the tender. Even in your scenario, signing the franchise tender is not a neccessity to complete the trade only that the trade has to be facilitated through Peppers' agent. Of course the player has to be on board with the trade, I am saying that signing the actual tender isn't a neccessary condition on getting a deal done. That is what seems to be the impression that everyone has and both you and I have debunked that.

As for what Peppers has and hasn't done, we will never know for sure. The Patriots will never talk about any negotiations that may or may not have occured. If they have spoken with the Pats and hope to get a trade done in the future, Peppers and his agent won't talk either. For all we really know, the Pats and Panthers could have been this close to pulling off a deal and it fell apart in the last minute.

BTW, Branch was not a franchised player. He still had one year left on his deal.

The Bills and Falcons very publically negotiated a trade of a franchised Peerless Price who hadn't sign the tender. Even in your scenario, signing the franchise tender is not a neccessity to complete the trade only that the trade has to be facilitated through Peppers' agent. Of course the player has to be on board with the trade, I am saying that signing the actual tender isn't a neccessary condition on getting a deal done. That is what seems to be the impression that everyone has and both you and I have debunked that.

As for what Peppers has and hasn't done, we will never know for sure. The Patriots will never talk about any negotiations that may or may not have occured. If they have spoken with the Pats and hope to get a trade done in the future, Peppers and his agent won't talk either. For all we really know, the Pats and Panthers could have been this close to pulling off a deal and it fell apart in the last minute.

BTW, Branch was not a franchised player. He still had one year left on his deal.

You continue to miss the point. Branch couldn't talk to anyone without permission from this franchise. Carolina can't talk to anyone without permission from Julius Peppers. He hasn't granted them that, nor has his agent brought a SINGLE offer to the table per the Panthers FO. Bill is another whole kettle of fish as he states very clearly he is not willing to negotiate a deal for a franchise tagged player via agent.

This has become some sort of holy grail for some of you, whether it's arguing that it CAN be done or why it will or must be done...

The litmus test was the draft. Now that that has come and gone sans trade, it's apparently neverending... Now we are in a better place to trade somehow because we have a plethora of 2nds in 2010 which are discounted by a round being as they are a year away... They do Fox and Hurney no good since they may well be gone in 2010...

If it weren't so annoying it would be pathetic...

if peppers was all about money he would have signed the tender and be one of the highest paid players in all of football 20 million per year your nuts you might want to use a .

so you realy think peppers will play for the pats at about 6 millon a yer cause thats all they will have aftter they sign the rookies ?

so you realy think peppers will play for the pats at about 6 millon a yer cause thats all they will have aftter they sign the rookies ?
Ever heard of a backloaded contract?

I'm not saying Peppers will be a Patriot (I think that ship has sailed), but he could be fit under the cap with Hobbs gone, and even more easily if Jarvis Green is jettisoned.

You continue to miss the point. Branch couldn't talk to anyone without permission from this franchise. Carolina can't talk to anyone without permission from Julius Peppers. He hasn't granted them that, nor has his agent brought a SINGLE offer to the table per the Panthers FO. Bill is another whole kettle of fish as he states very clearly he is not willing to negotiate a deal for a franchise tagged player via agent.

This has become some sort of holy grail for some of you, whether it's arguing that it CAN be done or why it will or must be done...

The litmus test was the draft. Now that that has come and gone sans trade, it's apparently neverending... Now we are in a better place to trade somehow because we have a plethora of 2nds in 2010 which are discounted by a round being as they are a year away... They do Fox and Hurney no good since they may well be gone in 2010...

If it weren't so annoying it would be pathetic...

Not missing the point at all. Where was I wrong? Peppers giving permission for the Panthers to talk to the with Pats is not signing the franchise tag now is it? Besides how is Brach being under contract and getting permission from the team to seek a trade anything like a franchise tag player who wants to be traded? Two totally different scenarios. Peppers is a free agent who can sign with anyone who is willing to give up 2 first round draft picks. Branch was under contract with the Pats and unable to even talk to another team without the Pats' permission.

Again we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Besides everyone who knows the situation knows Peppers wants to be traded. Rumor was he gave them a list of teams he was willing to be traded to. That sounds like giving permission to seek a trade with those teams if true.

Again, I think Jason Taylor, not Peppers will be a Patriot come September. The chances of Peppers being traded to the Pats has gone down significantly now that the draft is over. I just think it is just silly that people think that Peppers must sign his franchise tag to be traded. I think the trade could happen, but unlikely unless the Panthers or Peppers get desperate. At this point neither looks like it may happen, but if Peppers holds out of training camp trade rumors could heat up again.

Why are you so intent on trying to prove me wrong, but giving examples that support my case? If you want to talk about being annoying, you are constantly telliing me "You are wrong and here let me tell you how you are right."

If you are so annoyed with all this Peppers talk, why are you even reading this thread? I didn't start this or any of the other Peppers threads. It is a popular thread (85 replies as of right now which is the most of the active threads and I have only contributed about 5 of those replies) and I just debate it. If the threads died, I would stop arguing it. I know if I was annoyed by the subject though, I would just ignore the thread.

Last edited:
I dont think we will sign Peppers now but you have to conclude the draft was 'peppers friendly' in terms of cap saved, Hobbs and no OLB's

I dont think we will sign Peppers now but you have to conclude the draft was 'peppers friendly' in terms of cap saved, Hobbs and no OLB's

Good point, I still have that feeling that BB isnt done making over the roster.

without reading this thread, I believe we will see another 27 threads on the possible signing of Peppers, before the start of TC :rolleyes:

Not missing the point at all. Where was I wrong? Peppers giving permission for the Panthers to talk to the with Pats is not signing the franchise tag now is it? Besides how is Brach being under contract and getting permission from the team to seek a trade anything like a franchise tag player who wants to be traded? Two totally different scenarios. Peppers is a free agent who can sign with anyone who is willing to give up 2 first round draft picks. Branch was under contract with the Pats and unable to even talk to another team without the Pats' permission.

Again we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Besides everyone who knows the situation knows Peppers wants to be traded. Rumor was he gave them a list of teams he was willing to be traded to. That sounds like giving permission to seek a trade with those teams if true.

Again, I think Jason Taylor, not Peppers will be a Patriot come September. The chances of Peppers being traded to the Pats has gone down significantly now that the draft is over. I just think it is just silly that people think that Peppers must sign his franchise tag to be traded. I think the trade could happen, but unlikely unless the Panthers or Peppers get desperate. At this point neither looks like it may happen, but if Peppers holds out of training camp trade rumors could heat up again.

Why are you so intent on trying to prove me wrong, but giving examples that support my case? If you want to talk about being annoying, you are constantly telliing me "You are wrong and here let me tell you how you are right."

You know what is pathetic though is someone who is so sick of the Peppers trades talk constantly arguing on Peppers threads and then complain about them being annoying. If you are so annoyed with all this Peppers talk, why are you even reading this thread?

The rumor was never that he gave "them" a list of teams, it was that he gave Mort a list of teams...and at the end of the day the problem seems to be no one really knows what Peppers wants.

When teams are authorized to speak to someone it's cleared with the league so as to avoid the possibility of tampering questions being raised after the fact. When Branch was trying to shoot his way out of town there were rumors that his agent spoke to the NYJ prior to the Patriots granting permission for him to seek a potential suitor. Franchise tagged players who have no intention of playing generally indicate early on they will not report, and subsequently they and the team being the process of facilitating a trade that
accommodates both sides. Peppers has not said he will not report. In fact his agent has said he will if he doesn't find a suitor. The OP seems to think that we now have better ammunition with which to land Peppers...We have less than we did (value wise) 72 hours ago given the discounted value of future draft picks. Carolina has never expressed any desire to trade Peppers. In fact they still hope to get him to sign a long term deal with them.

And Bill has stated he personally will not talk to Peppers agent or John Fox until Peppers signs his tender. You selectively believe what you want to hear rather than what is actually said. Believe what you will. As Bill says, it is what it is...

Unfortunately Ian has yet to equip the site with an ignore thread feature that would allow the rest of us to avoid threads intent on :deadhorse:

without reading this thread, I believe we will see another 27 threads on the possible signing of Peppers, before the start of TC :rolleyes:

I figured they would be done post-draft. First we were clearing space for Peppers moneywise (Vrabel-Cassel) and a signing was imminent. Then we were stocking picks and a trade was goin' down last weekend. Now we are back to the clearing dough for Peppers again.

This will go down in history as the most discussed trade that never was.

Stop the madness already.. Julius Peppers is not coming to the Pats , period.. Jason Taylor is a 50/50 shot, get used to a rotation of olb of crable/woods/ banta cain/ reed.. Until Jason Taylor is in uniform, and if he is not here by day 1 training camp ala junior seau, then its not happening.. But until then anything could happen, and still will hold out hope for Taylor..

But can we hold the peppers , please..

It's kind of funny how so many people are annoyed with the 'Peppers to NE' threads, yet they're always among the most viewed and replied threads. I guess I haven't been here long enough for them to bother me yet. Either that, or I'm secretly hoping there still is a chance he's in uniform when I turn on the first Monday Night game of the season.;)

Noticible rate of decline? 2008 was possibly the best year of Seymour's career. He led the team in sacks despite playing a position that isn't really a pass rusher. No 3-4 DE had more sacks than him.

You took the words out of my mouth. The biggest travesty was not selecting future HOF Seymour for the Pro-bowl for the umteenth deserved time.

The rumor was never that he gave "them" a list of teams, it was that he gave Mort a list of teams...and at the end of the day the problem seems to be no one really knows what Peppers wants.

When teams are authorized to speak to someone it's cleared with the league so as to avoid the possibility of tampering questions being raised after the fact. When Branch was trying to shoot his way out of town there were rumors that his agent spoke to the NYJ prior to the Patriots granting permission for him to seek a potential suitor. Franchise tagged players who have no intention of playing generally indicate early on they will not report, and subsequently they and the team being the process of facilitating a trade that
accommodates both sides. Peppers has not said he will not report. In fact his agent has said he will if he doesn't find a suitor. The OP seems to think that we now have better ammunition with which to land Peppers...We have less than we did (value wise) 72 hours ago given the discounted value of future draft picks. Carolina has never expressed any desire to trade Peppers. In fact they still hope to get him to sign a long term deal with them.

And Bill has stated he personally will not talk to Peppers agent or John Fox until Peppers signs his tender. You selectively believe what you want to hear rather than what is actually said. Believe what you will. As Bill says, it is what it is...

Unfortunately Ian has yet to equip the site with an ignore thread feature that would allow the rest of us to avoid threads intent on :deadhorse:

You do know this thread is titled:

"I believe the Pats will make a big play for Peppers"

It doesn't take a rock scientist to figure out what this thread is about unless you think Kraft is deciding to venture into the produce or spice industry. If you don't like the subject, it is easily ignorable even without a special functionality on the site. Seriously what did you think this thread was about? Bell Peppers?

As for what I listen to, I never, ever take what Belichick (or any GM or head coach) says about personnel moves to the public as 100% true. If you believed what Belichick said publically, Moss would never be on this team. Also, Peppers said to Mort that if the Panthers franchise him he would ask them to trade him. That sounds like he would have given them permission to seek a trade.

Also, right before the draft the Panthers said they had no trade offers for Pepoers. Now why would they said that if there is no possible way that they could receive them? Wouldn't their response be that they couldn't get any trade offers because Peppers didn't sign the tag?

As for this subject, it is the slow part of the season now that the draft is over. Many of us talked the draft out this weekend and/or don't know enough about the new Patriots to go on and on discussing them. I actively participate in more than this thread.

I am sorry this thread faked you out, but please go ahead and post posts after posts informing me how I am beating a dead horse. Have you picked up the irony of that yet?

It doesn't take a rock scientist to figure out what this thread is about unless you think Kraft is deciding to venture into the produce or spice industry.

they're called 'geologists'.

they're called 'geologists'.

Finally, actual factual information in this fantasy thread rife with misinformation and pure wishful thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News