PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I believe the Pats will make a big play for Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I believe the Pats will make a big play for Peppers.

If either signing is going to happen, BB will want it to happen soon so that the player (either one of them) is working out for OTA's and the June mini-camp. Beginning to get a grasp of the system now vs. training camp is huge.

If either signing is going to happen, BB will want it to happen soon so that the player (either one of them) is working out for OTA's and the June mini-camp. Beginning to get a grasp of the system now vs. training camp is huge.

Taylor doesnt want to be working out at OTA's which is why i dont think he will be a Patriot! A new guy in a new system and skipping OTA's will not go over well with BB.

Taylor doesnt want to be working out at OTA's which is why i dont think he will be a Patriot! A new guy in a new system and skipping OTA's will not go over well with BB.

Yeah, Belichick never makes ammends for veterans.:rolleyes:

This is my new outlook on the Peppers deal post draft...

BB did a hell of a job patching holes in the secondary, if the season started tomorrow I have not one worry about this department. Chung and Butler will see significant playing time early on in the season. A mix of Bodden, Springs, Wheatley, Butler and Wilhite is pretty damn good. A 3 man rotation of Meriweather, Sanders, and Chung will be really good. Meriweather and Chung compliment eachother very well.

The WR's are going to be sick, better then the days of Gaffney and Stallworth. Galloways a better WR then both of them. We all witnessed what Gaff did to the Jets when they were doubling Moss n Welker all day Gaff had a very good game. Now Imagine Galloway being left 1 on 1.

Now getting to Peppers, look at the team its stacked from top to bottom offense and defense. The one area I still think we can improve on is pass rush, BB has addressed every single position either through free agency or via the draft. I dont think he goes into the season without addressing the pass rush, we really dont have questions at any other position and I dont think BB goes into the season with just one need not being taken care of. He knows the rest of the team is stacked and will not let the pass rush be a question and bring the team down not even one bit.

Woods and J Green are the likely players to be shipped to Carolina, and with either one or two of the 2nd round picks we have in next years draft.

Is it possible Peppers keeps his heels dug in really tight and forces Carolina to remove the tag? Could he threaten to hold out and not get paid but still force Carolina to count that franchise money against their cap? Would this not be optimal for a New England signing?

Jodee

Last year the Pats had 31 sacks and were ranked 14th in that category. That's on the money for a team that likes its defense to be versatile and multi-dimensional. I'm wondering if the pass rush is really the huge deficiency that it is being made out to be. An increased level of play from the secondary may well be enough to correct third down issues.

Last year the Pats had 31 sacks and were ranked 14th in that category. That's on the money for a team that likes its defense to be versatile and multi-dimensional. I'm wondering if the pass rush is really the huge deficiency that it is being made out to be. An increased level of play from the secondary may well be enough to correct third down issues.

31 sacks isnt bad but remember its not always about sacks. Knocking down the qb, getting in his face, forcing him out the pocket are all semi wins for a defense. Temas were converting on 3rd downs way too many times last year. That cannot happen agan not even close to what is was last year. And your right BB might think the pass rush will be fine, but I feel and who knows maybe Bill does also that its still a question mark as to how the rush will pan out. The team has no questions elsewhere on the roster IMO, why not address it with peppers and go into the season stacked from head to toe. The teams is now a legit SB contender why not put it over the top?

Last edited:

31 sacks isnt bad but remember its not always about sacks. Knocking down the qb, getting in his face, forcing him out the pocket are all semi wins for a defense. Temas were converting on 3rd downs way too many times last year. That cannot happen agan not even close to what is was last year. And your right BB might think the pass rush will be fine, but I feel and who knows maybe Bill does also that its still a question mark as to how the rush will pan out. The team has no questions elsewhere on the roster IMO, why not address it with peppers and go into the season stacked from head to toe.

I can't find stats for hurries and pressures, but I think the Pats were average in that category too. If the secondary performs better there will likely be more sacks and pressures.

geting peppers is not going to happen he has not signed the tander so we cant even talk to the team and peppers is not going to take 8 mil a yer to play for us when he will make 16 millon this to play for the panthers and be a FA next yer in a uncaped season where he will get a long term con wort 20 millon a yer peppers is all about the money he dose not want to come here thats why hes not signing the tander cause he knows the panthers will tread him and he wont get to be a FA in a uncaped season

a chat with vic today

Paul, London
02:43 PM ET
Pats fan here. Anything on Peppers or Taylor to help the pass rush?
Carucci_small
Vic Carucci, Senior Writer, NFL.com
Deadly quiet on that front. I remain baffled as to why Peppers has yet to sign his franchise tender, which is really the only way he's going to be moved (if he's going to be moved at all). And it's hard to believe that there would be any deals made now involving the 2010 draft. As for Taylor, I'd say he probably has a better chance of rejoining the Dolphins than going to New England.

geting peppers is not going to happen he has not signed the tander so we cant even talk to the team and peppers is not going to take 8 mil a yer to play for us when he will make 16 millon this to play for the panthers and be a FA next yer in a uncaped season where he will get a long term con wort 20 millon a yer peppers is all about the money he dose not want to come here thats why hes not signing the tander cause he knows the panthers will tread him and he wont get to be a FA in a uncaped season

if peppers was all about money he would have signed the tender and be one of the highest paid players in all of football 20 million per year your nuts you might want to use a .

Last edited:

Can we stop with the "Peppers will be a Pat" stuff already?

Not veterans who don't want to practice.

Roman Phifer - OTA superstar.

its over, peppers is not coming to the pats this year. if it was going to go down it would have happened over the weekend, its over now time to move on

Vic Carucci, Senior Writer, NFL.com
Deadly quiet on that front. I remain baffled as to why Peppers has yet to sign his franchise tender, which is really the only way he's going to be moved (if he's going to be moved at all). And it's hard to believe that there would be any deals made now involving the 2010 draft. As for Taylor, I'd say he probably has a better chance of rejoining the Dolphins than going to New England.

Can we stop the fantasizing about these two? At least until new, substantiated INFORMATION (not rumor on some fanboy site) comes to the fore.

Last edited:

I respectfully, but completely disagree. Of course, I have no inside knowledge, but I think the Pats already have a deal with Taylor. BB has always loved him, and he has always respected BB and the Patriots. He and Brady have a friendship and mutual respect, AND the Pats can more easily fit him under the cap than they can Peppers.

Again, this is only a theory, but it would not surprise me if BB said to him "Jason, we have a great team here, and have always loved what you bring to the table. I totally understand that you want to spend your offseason with your family. We don't have to officially sign you until later in the summer. That way you are not skipping workouts etc."

Jason Taylor's reply: "Coach, I want a ring. You got yourself a deal. We'll sign it later. I'll be working out in Florida like a mad man, and will be ready to go come training camp".

"Come and give me a hug Jason. Wow, for some reason, I want to dance with you. Gee, you're quite good".

Jason Taylor is done as far as the Pats are concerned. It appears he wants to return to Miami, and perhaps he is asking for more than the team feels he is worth.

Here's why I think the Peppers trade is alive:

1. We've got the trade ammo to do it. But Jarvis Green has to be involved. He (and his salary) have to be involved in the trade. Package him along with one of the second rounders in 2010 to the Panthers, who are bereft a first round pick, and it should work.

2. Assuming Jarvis is dealt, the cap space should be adequate. Didn't we clear up $2.5 mil by trading Hobbs? Jarvis is due for $5+ mil. That should handle a reasonable contract should Peppers want to play ball.

3. If JT was in the cards, he will sign in the next day or so. I wouldn't hold my breath.

4. Was all this masterminded and plotted from the beginning? I say "no!" BB just makes deals (obtaining the second rounders, trading off Hobbs and his salary) and puts the team in a good position. It's like in chess: put your pieces on good squares and then good things happen. If they are on bad squares, well....good luck!

Still, it takes some cooperation from Peppers. He's got to sign for a discount and Carolina has to take Jarvis. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

I believe it will happen.

I just wanted to add from my previous post, since I hate being wrong, that I completely agree with everything you said above. :)

why would we ditch vrabel to get taylor?

Albert Breer:

League sources say Jason Taylor is interested in joining New England—one went so far as to say Taylor "badly" wanted to be a Patriot. Miami remains an option for him, but Taylor likely would play a larger role in New England because the Dolphins probably wouldn't move Joey Porter back to the strong side to create a spot.

from upstater1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye