PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly Meriweather is medicore

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all I just want to say Ive been a Meriweather supporter and was happy when we drafted him. I was excited to see us drafting defense again and an injection of youth into our secondary.

First year, we barely saw Meriweather... Okay fine. He was a rookie on a 16-0 team and wasn't ready to start for us. No problem.

Last year he was decent but nothing special. Had some nice sacks in the final few games. Had some INTs like every safety should. Big jump from his rookie year. He showed signs of really turning it up.

This year everyone thought he would break out and possibly have a pro bowl caliber season. IMO at times he's looked worse than he did last year. He isn't having an amazing season. He's just an average safety really. IMO he's already peaked. He's been in the system long enough to be comfortable. He knows the playbook. He's had time to mature and work on his faults(remember how bad his hands were in his rookie year?)....

But he's just not that much of a playmaker. He's not as instinctive as you'd like. He shies away from contact BIG TIME... scared to add in an extra hit on players. Doesn't wrap up all the time. Simply gets run over sometimes. Bites on alot of playaction and double moves.

Honestly when I think of Meriweather now, I think of a guy always hopping around congratulating his teammates or arriving a few steps too late after a tackle shouldve been made.

Overall he is good, not great. I like his attempt at leadership. I don't like him smiling and laughing with Peyton Manning after getting scorched in a devastating loss. At time he seems more like a cheerleader than a football player.

EDIT: This is probably my biggest gripe with Meriweather. He turns it up against small teams that we know we're going to beat.... but he disappears in big games. Where was he in New Orleans and Indy?
One the one hand hand, you say he's mediocre. In the last paragraph, you say he's good. Whcih is it? Because, by definitions, mediocre and good are not the same.

EDIT: This is probably my biggest gripe with Meriweather. He turns it up against small teams that we know we're going to beat.... but he disappears in big games. Where was he in New Orleans and Indy?

He led the team with 8 tackles vs the Saints ... 6 of them solo.

He's 4th on the team with 67 tackles ... Mayo is 1st with 80.

He leads the team on assists with 26 ... he's around the ball a lot.

He's 2nd on the team in passes defended with 8.

He's 2nd on the team in interceptions with 4.

shhh those are facts we all know facts are not true the only truth is opinions

shhh those are facts we all know facts are not true the only truth is opinions

This thread is pathetic.

Hes a 3rd year player-2nd yr starter who has produced. He may not be All-Pro caliber yet, and certainly needs to improve his tackling and coverages, but all-in-all they guy covers more ground than grass.

Last edited:
Uhhh Landry in Washington was a top pick. He was the number 1 safety taken the year he was drafted. Check the stats.

I am being honest. You honestly are quite a clown.

he might mean Landry's older brother Dewan Landry of the Ravens ? Late round safety who turned out pretty good. I have to agree as far as meriweather being mediocre. He definitely goes for the Sportscenter big hit instead of the sure tackle. He looked like he was going to have a break out season, and certainly hasn't. Most stars have already had their breakout seasons by their third season, so I really don't think we will see an amazing turnaround in season 4. he is a servicable safety, but I don't think we will ever see a Pro Bowl out of him.

It's unfortunate, I can't blame BB for drafting him, or guys like Maroney or Watson in the first round. Everybody had them rated as first round picks, but like Meriweather, they just haven't panned out like we hoped. We seem to pick college studs who don't turn into NFL studs, except for Tom Brady, and a few O-line or D-line players who have made the Pro Bowl, but aren't perennial Pro Bowlers.

As far as tackling, it's definetly a lost art, especially for defensive backs, they all try to hit high, go for the knowckout hit (the ESPN-worth JACKED UP hit). I'm 47, and remember playing Pop Warner, and I don't think I can ever forget the basics, wrap up the legs, and a human can't run, pretty simple. I can't believe a defensive guru like Belichick doesn't force his players to practice it more. I remember during the Super Bowl years, the linebackers would fine each other if they dropped INT's, maybe that should happen with tackles.

Meriweather is so "medicore" he was in for 60 of 60 snaps this past Sunday. This also makes Pees "medicore" as well, and by default BB is also "medicore."

Meriweather. is a good starting safety on a playoff team just because we drafted him out of the U dose not mean he is the next. ed reed,

just like mayo. is not patrick willis, ever first round pick the pats have had under BB has turned in to a starter just beacuse they are not the very best at there position. dose not mean they are a bust.

after. ed reed, troy polamalu, bob sanders, Darren Sharper, and Adrian Wilson, there are not to many safety's better then Meriweather.

Apparently the people at PatriotsDaily don't think much of Meriweather

The Bills non-existent passing game allowed the spotlight to be mostly shined away from the secondary (although Brandon Meriweather still managed to make yet another utterly hideous, bone-headed play that nearly cost his team dearly)

The only real problem was Meriweather, again. He mostly looked OK, making a couple tackles in run support and just missing an interception on a long pass intended for Evans. But in the fourth quarter, with the Bills driving but facing a fourth-and-long, Fitzpatrick found Reed two yards shy of the first down with Meriweather right on him. But instead of tackling Reed, Meriweather got macho and tried to lay him out with a single hit, only the hit was weak, Reed bounced off it, Meriweather crumpled and Reed was off to a 29-yard gain (luckily, Reed dropped a wide open throw that hit him in the chest four plays later, one of the 48 enormous breaks for the Pats on the day). Why Meriweather, a player with so much obvious physical talent, can’t seem to get out of his own way for at least one week, is one of the more confusing things about this team. Given the amount of responsibilities he has, it would do everyone a lot of good for him to get over these weekly mental lapses and do it quickly.

Last edited:
after. ed reed, troy polamalu, bob sanders, Darren Sharper, and Adrian Wilson, there are not to many safety's better then Meriweather.

One of these guys hasn't played all year. Another hasn't played in two straight years. A third is in his mid-30s and experiencing a career renaissance after five or so mediocre years. Wilson's statistics this year are almost exactly analogous to Meriweather's. Ed Reed, arguably the greatest safety to ever play the game, has worse stats than Meriweather this year, and has never been as strong against the run or blitzing as Meriweather is now.

Yeah, he's the picture of mediocrity. Peter King picked him as a midseason All-Pro with Sharper. I don't know what Patriots fans consider mediocre, because if Meriweather's a mediocre safety then Brady's a mediocre QB at this point in his career (hint: neither are true)

He occasionally misses tackles but apparently no one watches Ravens games because Reed has been a similar player his whole career. The comparisons to Roy Williams are laughably stupid; Meriweather's far better in coverage and has significantly better range than Williams could have ever thought about having, even in his prime.

Who is more deserving in the AFC of a Pro Bowl bid than Meriweather? Polamalu and Sanders haven't played at all, Reed is turning in the statistically worst year of his career (though just by having him out there, Dawan Landry is having a good year), and the rest of the group is mediocre. Jairus Byrd, with his absurd number of interceptions, is the only guy who really deserves recognition over BM.

Last edited:
^^^ Logic has no place on this board. Go away.

One of these guys hasn't played all year. Another hasn't played in two straight years. A third is in his mid-30s and experiencing a career renaissance after five or so mediocre years. Wilson's statistics this year are almost exactly analogous to Meriweather's. Ed Reed, arguably the greatest safety to ever play the game, has worse stats than Meriweather this year, and has never been as strong against the run or blitzing as Meriweather is now.

Yeah, he's the picture of mediocrity. Peter King picked him as a midseason All-Pro with Sharper. I don't know what Patriots fans consider mediocre, because if Meriweather's a mediocre safety then Brady's a mediocre QB at this point in his career (hint: neither are true)

He occasionally misses tackles but apparently no one watches Ravens games because Reed has been a similar player his whole career. The comparisons to Roy Williams are laughably stupid; Meriweather's far better in coverage and has significantly better range than Williams could have ever thought about having, even in his prime.

Who is more deserving in the AFC of a Pro Bowl bid than Meriweather? Polamalu and Sanders haven't played at all, Reed is turning in the statistically worst year of his career (though just by having him out there, Dawan Landry is having a good year), and the rest of the group is mediocre. Jairus Byrd, with his absurd number of interceptions, is the only guy who really deserves recognition over BM.

Darren Sharper, Bethea, and Wilson are all having better years.
If you look at PFF's ratings which gives a players overall ratings based on pass rushing, pass coverage, run defense, and penalties Meriweather is the 9th rated safety in the league

[/B]

Darren Sharper, Bethea, and Wilson are all having better years.
If you look at PFF's ratings which gives a players overall ratings based on pass rushing, pass coverage, run defense, and penalties Meriweather is the 9th rated safety in the league

Which is pretty damn impressive considering how poor the Patriots' pass rush is

(if you mean Adrian Wilson, he plays in the NFC, as does Sharper...)

Last edited:

You did watch that Saints game though didn't you? Meriweather was lost out there for most of the game. Brees made an absolute monkey out of him. The thread's original premise is right. He is mediocre. I think he's a physical talent that lacks the brains to make it to the next level.

After the first 5 games werent some people comparing him to Troy Polamalu....

It must be nice to sit back and find faults with the team. :idontgetit:

"Oh ... let's see ... who sucked :stars2: lately and a thread hasn't been made yet?" :ugh:

"Great :idea2:... nobody ragged on Meriweather ... I :attention:get to have a thread on page 1"

Last edited:
But he's just not that much of a playmaker. He's not as instinctive as you'd like. He shies away from contact BIG TIME... scared to add in an extra hit on players. Doesn't wrap up all the time. Simply gets run over sometimes. Bites on alot of playaction and double moves.

New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

This is what I noticed:

-Darius Butler had a beautiful pass breakup,
and Meriweather followed through with a hit on the reciever.

I expect we'll be seeing a lot of this in the next few years

Last edited:
How old do you have to be in order to be eligible for Medicore?

You did watch that Saints game though didn't you? Meriweather was lost out there for most of the game. Brees made an absolute monkey out of him. The thread's original premise is right. He is mediocre. I think he's a physical talent that lacks the brains to make it to the next level.

Did YOU watch the game? Meriweather was not "lost" for "most" of the game.

for what it's worth, Meriweather currently has the 3rd most pro bowl votes out of strong safeties with the end of the fan voting (Polamalu is first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back