PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly Meriweather is medicore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said he sucks. I said he's mediocre... average. He's not breaking out into the superstar that alot of people thought he would at the beginning of the season

Hey guys, BM is a mediocre safety because he hasn't met the expectations of MrNathanDrake and "alot of people". Do you mind showing me who all these other people are? Because BM's stats are really no different than Troy Polamalu's over three years. I guess he is a mediocre safety too.

Last edited:
I never said he sucks. I said he's mediocre... average. He's not breaking out into the superstar that alot of people thought he would at the beginning of the season
In your opinion. Every week someone has a crack at some player with their own little personal insight and enlightened observations. Quite frankly it's boring as bat ****.

A cookie for anyone who posts video of LaRon getting burned twice in that one game this year - why are you looking in the backfield on 3rd and long LaRon?? Dude is terrible.

No I meant Dawan, the safety in Baltimore who was picked in the 5th round as I explained maybe 5 times. Or Chris Horton who IS in Wash. would do well as a comparison. Or Gibril Wilson. All 5th round picks who can play. As opposed to our cement shoes Sanders and annoying gnat Merriweather.

You do get points for brownnosing and homerism though. Make sure you brush your teeth to get the nutsack odor off of them.

Well, I've been coaching DB's for quite some time and I trust my instincts much more than yours. When you say that Meriweather avoids contact, you lose all credibility.

I think it was Descartes that said: When the race is ran on equal ground. The first one to finish is declared the winner.

Merriweather is our version of Roy Williams.

Big hitter, an OK tackler, and sometimes lousy in coverage.

Probably a very accurate assessment; that is the comparison I was thinking of on Sunday. He's not as big as Roy so I think he has the ability to improve his coverage and be less awkward.

Miami DB's seem to be very loose with the tackling fundamentals; maybe because they are usually freak athletes that can get away with it in college. The Pats (2001-2005) used to be very solid tacklers and always seemed to make the tackle just short of the sticks...maybe bring back Mangini as a DB's coach?:)

Meriweather is no different than Bodden,McGowan,Bodden or any of the secondary players....One week they look awesome,the next week they look mediocre.

That is the way of the 2009 Patriots....deal with it because it ain't changing any time soon.

add a more consistent pass rush and they'll look good. it's hard for any db to cover without a pass rush

Probably a very accurate assessment; that is the comparison I was thinking of on Sunday. He's not as big as Roy so I think he has the ability to improve his coverage and be less awkward.

Miami DB's seem to be very loose with the tackling fundamentals; maybe because they are usually freak athletes that can get away with it in college. The Pats (2001-2005) used to be very solid tacklers and always seemed to make the tackle just short of the sticks...maybe bring back Mangini as a DB's coach?:)

I'd disagree. i think he's just tentative after that New Orleans game with blown assignments and is overthinking

BM is a football God! end of story.....

Vollmer is a beast also......

I think it was Descartes that said: When the race is ran on equal ground. The first one to finish is declared the winner.

and it was the equally astute Mel Brooks who stated in "History Of The World Part 1"

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING

I'd disagree. i think he's just tentative after that New Orleans game with blown assignments and is overthinking

I'm basing my assessment on his career and not just one game.

I'm basing my assessment on his career and not just one game.

and i'm saying this season he was doing very well. he had an int for a td. my assessment is since the new orleans game he' been under the radar

My assessment is that the op has an obsession with nutsacks.

Sometimes I think that if Meriweather had no arms he would be the same player. He rarely wraps up and struggles catching INTs (although he has improved in this area).

However, I do think his instincts have improved this year and I like his overall agressiveness, which is something this D has lacked. Remember even Rodney get burned on big plays for being overagressive jumping routes and going for big hits when he was young in San Diego. By all accounts he is a hard worker and a good kid and I think with experience he could develop into a very good safety. He just needs to learn to WRAP UP when tackling.

First of all I just want to say Ive been a Meriweather supporter and was happy when we drafted him. I was excited to see us drafting defense again and an injection of youth into our secondary.

First year, we barely saw Meriweather... Okay fine. He was a rookie on a 16-0 team and wasn't ready to start for us. No problem.

Last year he was decent but nothing special. Had some nice sacks in the final few games. Had some INTs like every safety should. Big jump from his rookie year. He showed signs of really turning it up.

This year everyone thought he would break out and possibly have a pro bowl caliber season. IMO at times he's looked worse than he did last year. He isn't having an amazing season. He's just an average safety really. IMO he's already peaked. He's been in the system long enough to be comfortable. He knows the playbook. He's had time to mature and work on his faults(remember how bad his hands were in his rookie year?)....

But he's just not that much of a playmaker. He's not as instinctive as you'd like. He shies away from contact BIG TIME... scared to add in an extra hit on players. Doesn't wrap up all the time. Simply gets run over sometimes. Bites on alot of playaction and double moves.

Honestly when I think of Meriweather now, I think of a guy always hopping around congratulating his teammates or arriving a few steps too late after a tackle shouldve been made.

Overall he is good, not great. I like his attempt at leadership. I don't like him smiling and laughing with Peyton Manning after getting scorched in a devastating loss. At time he seems more like a cheerleader than a football player.

EDIT: This is probably my biggest gripe with Meriweather. He turns it up against small teams that we know we're going to beat.... but he disappears in big games. Where was he in New Orleans and Indy?

Where was the entire D the second half of these games?

That would be weird. I would like to see some robot arms on him;think about that One arm would end in a spike the other a spoon.

Do we have the cap room to sign this guy?

url

Hey guys, BM is a mediocre safety because he hasn't met the expectations of MrNathanDrake and "alot of people". Do you mind showing me who all these other people are? Because BM's stats are really no different than Troy Polamalu's over three years. I guess he is a mediocre safety too.

You're comparing Merriweather to Polamalu?

I think Meriweather would be a better FS than he is a SS ... Chung should be ready by next year to give that a try. The Chung pick really does not make sense unless Brandon moves back. I'm not sold on he's lousy in coverage either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back