PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly Meriweather is medicore

Status
Not open for further replies.
for what it's worth, Meriweather currently has the 3rd most pro bowl votes out of strong safeties with the end of the fan voting (Polamalu is first)

This is irrelevant. Polamalu has almost the largest number of votes of any defensive player in the NFL and has played 5 games all year.

Did YOU watch the game? Meriweather was not "lost" for "most" of the game.

unfortunately I did. When a debate sinks to this level of well thought out arguments its reached its conclusion for me. To some, including me, he's not that good. For others, such as yourself, he's an all-pro. fun.

A good safety should be breaking up a lot of passes, intercepting his share, someone the QB has fear in the defense, and be able to deliver great tackles in run support and great hits after the catch to jar the ball loose.

I don't really see that in Merriweather, sorry. He's OK. 1st round safety, I'd expect more. And don't give me the stats of recorded tackles, they don't give you a clue as to whether a guy was tackled after dragging Merriweather 5 yards on a catch he shouldn't have even had or a tackle for a loss in run support. Big difference. He's built like a mosquito so he's not going to be a great tackler.

But what do I know? I thought Dawan Landry was in DC not Baltimore, it's his BROTHER who is in DC! doh! My judgement can't be trusted. Idiots.

A good safety should be breaking up a lot of passes, intercepting his share, someone the QB has fear in the defense, and be able to deliver great tackles in run support and great hits after the catch to jar the ball loose.

I don't really see that in Merriweather, sorry. He's OK. 1st round safety, I'd expect more. And don't give me the stats of recorded tackles, they don't give you a clue as to whether a guy was tackled after dragging Merriweather 5 yards on a catch he shouldn't have even had or a tackle for a loss in run support. Big difference. He's built like a mosquito so he's not going to be a great tackler.

But what do I know? I thought Dawan Landry was in DC not Baltimore, it's his BROTHER who is in DC! doh! My judgement can't be trusted. Idiots.

Your judgement can't be trusted...

1. Because you haven't a clue who you're talking about.

2. You think he's actually better than Meriweather.

Dawan Landry is an utter disaster. You only have to watch one Ravens game to see it. Hell, you don't even have to see the full game, a quarter will do. Coming out with crap like "ooooh, he's better than Meriweather" tends to get you flamed, because he's clearly not. He makes Tebucky Jones look like Ronnie fecking Lott.

Meriweather's a good safety, who is still learning. There's more pressure on his shoulders this year because of the complete lack of leadership on the team and especially on the defense, and because there's little in the way of pass rush there's more pressure on the secondary, especially considering the teams we played this year are better than the ones we faced last year.

Check out the stats on PFF.com. It's not the greatest indicator, but he's their 9th ranked Safety in the league. It's not based on number of tackles either - it's based on their grades of his play.

This is irrelevant. Polamalu has almost the largest number of votes of any defensive player in the NFL and has played 5 games all year.

Yeah, I realize that the pro bowl is largely a popularity contest (especially when it comes to the fan voting)

My point was that, at least with fans around the league, Meriweather is generally well-regarded.

While this may just mean that the fans are wrong, it's interesting to note his perceived level of talent. (With only Polamalu, and I would assume Dawkins in front of him in terms of the number of votes - I can't find who the #2 vote getter is.) That means he's at least perceived as out-performing safeties like Donte Whitner, Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, Michael Huff, and Eric Weddle, all guys who have in the past been considered by many to be better than him.

He's built like a mosquito so he's not going to be a great tackler.

But what do I know?

Funny how Ed Reed is the EXACT same size. I mean, I don't watch a lot of Ravens football, so what do I know, but would you say Ed Reed is built like a mosquito?

meriweather still has occaisional mental lapses out there, but he keeps getting better.......his instincts are improving

he could be better, but I still think he is effective. part of his problem is that be it sanders or mcgowan, both are relatively weak at coverage, so there is some 'domino effect' there

I still think meriweather is playing out of position, and at some point needs to be a full time FS in the manner wilson was with a healthy harrison around. but the pats need to find a true SS that can read and cover

Meriweather breaks up passes (20, 8 this year and 9 last year).

Meriweather intercepts the ball (8, 4 this year and 4 last year).

Meriweather has forced fumbles (4).

Meriweather has done all this in 3 years with only a year and a half as a full starter.

Meriweather is one of the better SS in coverage. Right now, I would only put Polamulu, Dawkins, Collins, and Reed above him. That's it.

Again, what does draft position have to do with his production? That's the same lame excuse Maroney haters use. And to use the Landry-Meriweather comparison is stupid because Landry has been a starter since 2006 while Meriweather didn't start until 2008. Even if you want to use that argument, Meriweather has had much more production in shorter time then Landry.

unfortunately I did. When a debate sinks to this level of well thought out arguments its reached its conclusion for me. To some, including me, he's not that good. For others, such as yourself, he's an all-pro. fun.

I'd like you to present proof why he's "no good." Don't expect me to take your simple declarations to be universal truths.

Meriweather breaks up passes (20, 8 this year and 9 last year).

Meriweather intercepts the ball (8, 4 this year and 4 last year).

Meriweather has forced fumbles (4).

Meriweather has done all this in 3 years with only a year and a half as a full starter.

Meriweather is one of the better SS in coverage. Right now, I would only put Polamulu, Dawkins, Collins, and Reed above him. That's it.

Again, what does draft position have to do with his production? That's the same lame excuse Maroney haters use. And to use the Landry-Meriweather comparison is stupid because Landry has been a starter since 2006 while Meriweather didn't start until 2008. Even if you want to use that argument, Meriweather has had much more production in shorter time then Landry.

myspace-owned.jpg

meriweather still has occaisional mental lapses out there, but he keeps getting better.......his instincts are improving

he could be better, but I still think he is effective. part of his problem is that be it sanders or mcgowan, both are relatively weak at coverage, so there is some 'domino effect' there

I still think meriweather is playing out of position, and at some point needs to be a full time FS in the manner wilson was with a healthy harrison around. but the pats need to find a true SS that can read and cover

I agree with on Meriweather. He has the speed and range to be a very good FS. I think that is where his future is. In regard to the SS position, Chung seems to be our future there. We usually use our SS closer to the line of scrimmage because we tend to operate with a cover three shell. This gives us the flexibility to put Chung or McGowan at the SS position, or the nickle-back/S hybrid position. The one person who has definitely peeked is James Sanders. What you see is what you get. I hope he is only used for rotational purposes.

Our future looks bright at safety. Whatever struggles that Meriweather has are correctable. A few conversations with Rodney, and some other vets, will cause him to calm down and stay disciplined.

For those criticizing Mayo, calm down. Mayo is progressing. He's injured, and thus doesn't have the same range that he normally does. The kid was picked high, and is the victim of high expectations. Give the kid some time. He'll grow into his position. Consider this: the defensive line has been ravaged by injuries. Some of the young linemen may not be maintaining their gaps. This may cause him to be taking on blockers from unanticipated angles. More importantly, this may cause him to try to cover up other players' mistakes. With his physical limitations, that might explain reduced results.

ProFootballWeekly had this to say today about Jacksonville FS Reggie Nelson: "After using seven of their nine draft picks on offense last year, the Jaguars will focus on improving the defense this offseason. The No. 1 priority almost certainly will be a pass rushing defensive end, but we hear the safety position also will need to be addressed. FS Reggie Nelson, a first-round pick in 2007, has been very disappointing in his short time in Jacksonville. Nelson was considered to be a big hitter, but also a sure tackler coming out of the University of Florida, but he has had major issues with wrapping players up. A prime example of Nelson's struggles came in Week 15 against the Colts. On the game-winning TD catch by Reggie Wayne, Nelson not only was late backing up rookie CB Derek Cox, but he lazily attempted to punch the ball out from Wayne instead of trying to tackle him and prevent the touchdown. Word is, after the season, Nelson could become the fourth former first-round pick of former VP of player personnel James Harris to be cast out of Jacksonville."

ProFootballWeekly.com - Nelson's poor tackling a concern for Jaguars

Nelson was taken at #17. Laron Landry, taken by Washington at #6, has also been disappointing. Meriweather and Michael Griffin (taken #20 by Tennessee) seem to be the best of the 4 first round safeties from the class of 2007.

Meriweather has tapered off after a great start and has had some mental lapses, but I think that he still has a lot of upside as one of the better FS's in the game.

Just to counter that, Michael Griffin's having an awful year as well.

Meriweather and Tanard Jackson have been the pick of the bunch from 2007, and Jackson was a fourth rounder! Weddle's not bad, but the Chargers were expecting much more from him, and I'm not sure if they benched him recently.

Just to counter that, Michael Griffin's having an awful year as well.

Meriweather and Tanard Jackson have been the pick of the bunch from 2007, and Jackson was a fourth rounder! Weddle's not bad, but the Chargers were expecting much more from him, and I'm not sure if they benched him recently.

I agree Michael Griffin's having a subpar year, but he's picked it up the past 8 games, and I would still rank him and Meriweather the best of the 2007 crop.

I agree Michael Griffin's having a subpar year, but he's picked it up the past 8 games, and I would still rank him and Meriweather the best of the 2007 crop.

It looks like financial considerations have thrust some of these guys into playing before they should be playing.

After QB, safety is probably the toughest position to learn.

Doesn't anyone care that in this huge ongoing thread mediocre is spelled wrong? Medi-core for all your health needs.....oh well.

Merry Christmas Pats Fans!!

You guys go easy on our resident troll, Klinefan.

He's not playing with a full deck, dumb as a bag of spanners might be more accurate.

Sets himself up as the provocateur, ends up the class clown.

Last edited:

He's not playing with a full deck, dumb as a bag of spanners might be more accurate.

That's not fair to geddie.

Yeah, I'm the bad guy for noting that merriweather is just another guy. Hardly worthy of a first round pick. JAG all the way. As noted by the guy who said we sure could have used Sharper or Dawkins this year. He's a troll too.

Everyone in this thread who notes that Merriweather is JAG is a troll. Everyone except you you brain dead homer you. Living in the past, exactly, Pats can do no wrong, anyone who says otherwise is a troll.

Yeah, I'm the bad guy for noting that merriweather is just another guy. Hardly worthy of a first round pick. JAG all the way. As noted by the guy who said we sure could have used Sharper or Dawkins this year. He's a troll too.

Everyone in this thread who notes that Merriweather is JAG is a troll. Everyone except you you brain dead homer you. Living in the past, exactly, Pats can do no wrong, anyone who says otherwise is a troll.

Nope. Pretty sure it's just you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes