PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly Meriweather is medicore

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this draft talk in this thread ...

Why is Scott Pioli so highly thought of then?

Perhaps Bill & Scott's method of both needing to be on the same page with a player was no good?

Perhaps we'll be better off with Bill making the decisions ... bouncing his thoughts of others?

I think Bill will draft better ... alone ... so far so good it seems.

We're presuming that we have already used significant resources on Wilfork.

Belichick may or may not have learned from most of the decisions that you consider mistakes in the past 12 months. In any case, it extremely doubtful that he will find the resources for the 6 defensive starters you seek at DE, OLB, OLB, ILB, CB and CB. I think 3 starters is much more likely (DE, OLB and CB).

Given that the reason he'd need to replace 6 starters is because the team is pretty clearly deficient, prior to re-signings/tags, at 6 defensive positions, I hope that he doesn't decide to just fix half the problem. Leaving/creating holes and filling them with inadequate players was the undoing of this team just this past season, after all.

Also, in an uncapped year, the question of resources is a non-issue. The one good thing, if any, that can be found in losing in the wild card round is that the rules for the 'final 8' don't apply. Given the team's high ranking in terms of income, money shouldn't be an issue when it comes to signing any player.

I think it's wise to expect that the team will undergo a pretty radical transformation this offseason, with, probably, 4-6 new starters on defense and multiple new starters (2-6) and backups on offense as well. Much less than that and the fans will have to begin questioning whether or not Kraft and Belichick have decided to begin taking the Jeremy Jacobs approach to running a sports team. I'm sure that BB & Company understand that and will take the appropriate actions to rebuild the team as quickly as possible. After all, this is why he's made so many trades for future picks in recent months.

Last edited:
You're are the only one who thinks that we can't find a starter to play opposite Bodden. Springs started in that role in 2009, so Butler IS that young highly drafted starter.
=============================================================
I understand that you think that this uncapped year will be a wild day for free agents and the patriots will get everthing they need. I just don't think it will happen. Given the free agent rules, top teams will be overpaying their own free agents to stay with the team, thus reducing the market considerably.

Given that the reason he'd need to replace 6 starters is because the team is pretty clearly deficient, prior to re-signings/tags, at 6 defensive positions, I hope that he doesn't decide to just fix half the problem. Leaving/creating holes and filling them with inadequate players was the undoing of this team just this past season, after all.

Also, in an uncapped year, the question of resources is a non-issue. The one good thing, if any, that can be found in losing in the wild card round is that the rules for the 'final 8' don't apply. Given the team's high ranking in terms of income, money shouldn't be an issue when it comes to signing any player.

I think it's wise to expect that the team will undergo a pretty radical transformation this offseason, with, probably, 4-6 new starters on defense and multiple new starters (2-6) and backups on offense as well. Much less than that and the fans will have to begin questioning whether or not Kraft and Belichick have decided to begin taking the Jeremy Jacobs approach to running a sports team. I'm sure that BB & Company understand that and will take the appropriate actions to rebuild the team as quickly as possible. After all, this is why he's made so many trades for future picks in recent months.

You're are the only one who thinks that we can't find a starter to play opposite Bodden. Springs started in that role in 2009, so Butler IS that young highly drafted starter.
=============================================================
I understand that you think that this uncapped year will be a wild day for free agents and the patriots will get everthing they need. I just don't think it will happen. Given the free agent rules, top teams will be overpaying their own free agents to stay with the team, thus reducing the market considerably.

They can plug anyone in to start opposite Bodden, assuming Bodden returns. They could sign you or I, for example. I have no doubt that they'll find someone to take the spot. I would simply hope that they don't make the same mistake they did this past season, where they got rid of a starting caliber CB in Hobbs thinking that an older player (Springs), a free agent (Bodden) and young players (Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler) would be sufficient to find 2 quality starters. They were wrong last season, so I'd hope they've learned the lesson. Carlos Rogers, for example, should be available if memory serves. Of course, maybe they don't fear a repeat of Wheatley's struggles last season with either him or Butler, and they may also think that Springs will be better able to play well and stay healthy with an additional year of age and experience under his belt.

As for the uncapped season, it will be easier to poach players from top teams that don't want to spend money. At the linebacker position, for example, players like Merriman and Dansby will be available at the linebacker positions if San Diego and Arizona decide that money matters. Furthermore, the team will have a first round pick and multiple second round picks, which should really help build competition on both sides of the ball.

OK, we agree that the patriots should not make the same mistake as last year and get rid of their best corner and hope for the best. I agree that the team needs wither to sign Bodden or to sign someone at least as good as he is.

They can plug anyone in to start opposite Bodden, assuming Bodden returns. They could sign you or I, for example. I have no doubt that they'll find someone to take the spot. I would simply hope that they don't make the same mistake they did this past season, where they got rid of a starting caliber CB in Hobbs thinking that an older player (Springs), a free agent (Bodden) and young players (Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler) would be sufficient to find 2 quality starters. They were wrong last season, so I'd hope they've learned the lesson. Carlos Rogers, for example, should be available if memory serves. Of course, maybe they don't fear a repeat of Wheatley's struggles last season with either him or Butler, and they may also think that Springs will be better able to play well and stay healthy with an additional year of age and experience under his belt.

As for the uncapped season, it will be easier to poach players from top teams that don't want to spend money. At the linebacker position, for example, players like Merriman and Dansby will be available at the linebacker positions if San Diego and Arizona decide that money matters. Furthermore, the team will have a first round pick and multiple second round picks, which should really help build competition on both sides of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back