PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly Meriweather is medicore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thank god we spent that 1st on Meriweather instead of that JAG Dawan Landry who played for the WINNING team today and didn't give up any 80 yard runs.

Or how about the cowboys gerald sensabaugh from North carolina, not highly drafted at all but lights out better than our medicore.

Well thank god we spent that 1st on Meriweather instead of that JAG Dawan Landry who played for the WINNING team today and didn't give up any 80 yard runs.

Or how about the cowboys gerald sensabaugh from North carolina, not highly drafted at all but lights out better than our medicore.

The last few drafts were the reason we don't have talent on the field; johnson, chad jackson, mills, david thomas, crable, Kevin O'Donnel, Mays, Redd; wasted value 3-6 round picks for alex smith, greg lewis, burgess....too many picks did not work out as intented. You can include Maroney there as well. Other teams turn the middle rounders into stars (Garcon, Collie), we turn them into special teamers (aiken, slater).

Was especially frustrating this year. You ignored drafting LBs when everyone thought it's a strong LB crop, you had to bring in a 40 year old LB midseason. Your team can't stop people, could not make any stops run or pass (see games vs denver, colts, saints, texans); it happened again today; some will try to shift attention to offense (which was terrible in deed; also was due to lack of talent on the roster); but whoever said you have to give up a TD following every turnover is crazy; Manning threw 6 int against SD last year and they lost 18-16 on a last sec missed field goal; colts would have won if the kicker made the 30 yard chip shot; why can't our defense be like that?

The writing was on the wall for a long time. The team is pissy-poor talent-wise. We were outdrafted by the colts, chargers, steelers, the jets, ravens, and bengals; now the product on the field start to reflect that. Look at the damn Jets, A+ drafts on Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Green, and Keller. Look at Colts, turning no names into key WRs, youngsters replacing injured stars like Marlin Jackson, Bob Sanders and Kelvin Haden, and not miss a beat; look at Greenbay, 1st year young kids playing key roles at WR and LB (Mathews was my pick for DROY). Our drafts 06 to 08 years are not even close. The team is going downhill fast. Given how weak the LB, WR and DE positions are; we need to use the picks asap and build a real team. One healed Tate or Mackenzie or Crable won't be enough. who know if these kids can even make the team. Stop drafting oddballs like Tate and Mackenzie when you could have Mathews or Maualuga. Al Davis wants to show everyone how smart and different he is. Looks like showing up everyone is not a good way to draft.

Last edited:
The last few drafts were the reason we don't have talent on the field; johnson, chad jackson, mills, david thomas, crable, Kevin O'Donnel, Mays, Redd; wasted value 3-6 round picks for alex smith, greg lewis, burgess....too many picks did not work out as intented. You can include Maroney there as well. Other teams turn the middle rounders into stars (Garcon, Collie), we turn them into special teamers (aiken, slater).

Was especially frustrating this year. You ignored drafting LBs when everyone thought it's a strong LB crop, you had to bring in a 40 year old LB midseason. Your team can't stop people, could not make any stops run or pass (see games vs denver, colts, saints, texans); it happened again today; some will try to shift attention to offense (which was terrible in deed; also was due to lack of talent on the roster); but whoever said you have to give up a TD following every turnover is crazy; Manning threw 6 int against SD last year and they lost 18-16 on a last sec missed field goal; colts would have won if the kicker made the 30 yard chip shot; why can't our defense be like that?

The writing was on the wall for a long time. The team is pissy-poor talent-wise. We were outdrafted by the colts, chargers, steelers, the jets, ravens, and bengals; now the product on the field start to reflect that. Look at the damn Jets, A+ drafts on Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Green, and Keller. Look at Colts, turning no names into key WRs, young defense backs replacing injured stars like Marlin Jackson, Bob Sanders and Kelvin Haden, and no miss a beat; look at Greenbay, young kids playing key roles at WR and LB. Our drafts 06 to 08 years are not even close. The team is going downhill fast. Given how weak the LB, WR and DE positions are; we need to use the picks asap and build a real team. One healed Tate or Mackenzie or Crable won't be enough. who know if these kids can even make the team. Stop drafting oddballs like Tate and Mackenzie when you could have Mathews or Maualuga. Al Davis wants to show everyone how smart and different he is. Looks like showing up everyone is not a good way to draft.

Well said my friend. That is as true as it gets. We've been severly outdrafted and not only that, we have been outdrafted in drafts where we have had more bullets to start the draft with than the teams you mention. How the eff does that happen BB!!!

These effin trade downs, passing on Clay Matthews after you've just got done dealing away Vrabel. Passing on Maualuga and James Laurinaitus when your LB core is in flux. Trading mid round picks for stiffs and then drafting mid round stiffs as the Colts who always pick in the bottom 3 of each round somehow find gem after gem. Let's get a personnel guy in here ASAP! BB isn't it............

Last edited:
So does Meriweather move to FS next year with Chung as the SS?

Either Bill drafted Chung to have 2 SS's or he plans on moving Meriweather.

I've mentioned this a few times but I've never seen anyone respond.

You X's and O's guys ... how do you see it playing out?

Well said my friend. That is as true as it gets. We've been severly outdrafted and not only that, we have been outdrafted in drafts where we have had more bullets to start the draft with than the teams you mention. How the eff does that happen BB!!!

These effin trade downs, passing on Clay Matthews after you've just got done dealing away Vrabel. Passing on Maualuga and James Laurinaitus when your LB core is in flux. Trading mid round picks for stiffs and then drafting mid round stiffs as the Colts who always pick in the bottom 3 of each round somehow find gem after gem. Let's get a personnel guy in here ASAP! BB isn't it............

People have been saying this here for 3 years only to have the ball washers attack because "In BB we trust". BB is a hall of fame coach but his personnel decisions over the past 3-4 years have been atrocious. How about the 2007 draft...atrocious
Time to face up to this and make some changes in the organization.

The cupboard is completely empty...this means 2-3 years to restock and compete again

Last edited:
People have been saying this here for 3 years only to have the ball washers attack because "In BB we trust". BB is a hall of fame coach but his personnel decisions over the past 3-4 years have been atrocious. How about the 2007 draft...atrocious.

Belichick had nowhere to put rookies on that 2007 roster.

Brandon Meriweather and Wes Welker for 2007 ... not shabby at all.

he gambled on finding hidden gems in the draft ... so he struck out.

So does Meriweather move to FS next year with Chung as the SS?

Either Bill drafted Chung to have 2 SS's or he plans on moving Meriweather.

I've mentioned this a few times but I've never seen anyone respond.

You X's and O's guys ... how do you see it playing out?

i think thats what the plan is. i like meriweather at fs where he can play centerfield and ballhawk like reed and occasionally lay the big hit on a wr coming over the middle. i like his speed and aggression but sometimes it appears hes got brick hands and has some mental lapses.

chung is better off at ss with meriweather at fs b.c chung is a more sound tackler who can come up and wrap up better when making plays in the box. i expect meriweather and chung as the starters next year with sanders as a good backup.

People have been saying this here for 3 years only to have the ball washers attack because "In BB we trust". BB is a hall of fame coach but his personnel decisions over the past 3-4 years have been atrocious. How about the 2007 draft...atrocious
Time to face up to this and make some changes in the organization.

The cupboard is completely empty...this means 2-3 years to restock and compete again

Yeah, see.... just when I start thinking that it's the homers who've most completely lost their minds, someone comes along with this sort of ridiculous post and reminds me that the Chicken Littles are just as bad.

If there is one position I will not giving any thought about this offseason, it is safety. We are more than fine going into the 2010 season (or at lest Training Camp) with
STARTERS: Sanders and Meriweather
BACKUPS: McGowan and Chung
STERS: Slater and Lockett

Folks may think an upgrade to having 2 probowlers would be nice, but it is NOT happening.

If there is one position I will not giving any thought about this offseason, it is safety. We are more than fine going into the 2010 season (or at lest Training Camp) with
STARTERS: Sanders and Meriweather
BACKUPS: McGowan and Chung
STERS: Slater and Lockett

Folks may think an upgrade to having 2 probowlers would be nice, but it is NOT happening.

Agreed. Safety is, quite easily, the strongest position on the defense. The LB corps, CB's, and DE are the positions that should be upgraded on the defense.

OK, let's take cornerbacks.
-------------------------------------------
I'm 100% fine if we re-sign Bodden and have
STARTERS Bodden, Butler
BACKUPS Springs, Wilhite
BENCH SITTER Wheatley (we can hope for more)
STER Arrington
==================
I expect us to sign Bodden or an adequate free agent replacement. I don't expect anything else in free agencty or the draft. The corners didn't fail this year. There is a good mix of two veterans and three kids.

Agreed. Safety is, quite easily, the strongest position on the defense. The LB corps, CB's, and DE are the positions that should be upgraded on the defense.

DE and LB
My hope is to draft a DE in our first four picks and to sign a free agent like Dansby.

I saw our safeties miss open tackles after open tackles today. If you mean strongest position because of numbers, then yeah I agree, but based on their play?

Merriweather has the physical tools but misses too many assignments and apparently took the James Sanders Tackling Angles class. Sanders is smart, but doesn't have the physical tools. McGowan looked good in the beginning but remembered he was Brandon McGowan after 5 games. Chung looks like he can run defend, but his pass defense really needs some work.

Well, if Wilfork returns, they're set at NT as well. I'd say that Warren sets them up at one DE spot and Mayo sets them up at one linebacker spot.

That means that the team will need to address 6 spots on the defense even if Wilfork stays (5 if you really think the team should be confident that TBC will repeat his season, and 4 if Bodden returns). Last season, prior to the draft and post Cassel/Vrabel trade, they needed to address 3 spots on the defense (1 corner and 2 linebackers). So, bad trades and attrition will mean that the starting defense needs more repairing this year than it did last year, even though people were screaming from the rooftops about last year.

It should make for a very interesting offseason.

along with
OL
WR
TE
P
RB

oh, wait.....tha's pretty much entire team.

This team needs major overhaul, and it could take 2 seasons, and by then Brady is 35.

Weak drafts and pathetic draft management in last 4 yrs caught up now. What's is worse is that they've had the most draft flexibility over last few yrs....and what exactly did they net (excluding taded picks for Moss and Welker) ?
- L Maroney Rd 1
- M Hill(RIP) Rd 2
- C Jackson Rd 2
- D. Thomas Rd 3
- G. Mills Rd 4
- Kareem Brown Rd 4
- Brace Rd 2 (Bust pending)
- Wheatley Rd 2
- Crable Rd 3
- O'Connel Rd 3
- Wilhite Rd 4

and am sure there are others. A who's who of busts after busts from Rd 1-3

We'll have more detailed discussion in the coming weeks, but if you ar saying that Guyton and Wright don't have spots on our front seven, no one is listening.

I expect to re-sign or to replace both Wilfork and Bodden (hopefully re-sign)

Our front seven is now
Warren, Wilfork, Wright/Green/Burgess
Thomas/Woods, Mayo, Guyton, Banta-Cain

I presume that the upgrades are to Green, Burgess and Thomas.
=====================

So, I agree that the needs are more than the one corner and two linebackers of last year. Presuming Wilfork, we need a corner, two linebackers and a DE. Of course, the team might think that Pryor is the DE. But I would like to see us sign a top OLB and also draft a linebacker and a DE.

Well, if Wilfork returns, they're set at NT as well. I'd say that Warren sets them up at one DE spot and Mayo sets them up at one linebacker spot.

That means that the team will need to address 6 spots on the defense even if Wilfork stays (5 if you really think the team should be confident that TBC will repeat his season, and 4 if Bodden returns). Last season, prior to the draft and post Cassel/Vrabel trade, they needed to address 3 spots on the defense (1 corner and 2 linebackers). So, bad trades and attrition will mean that the starting defense needs more repairing this year than it did last year, even though people were screaming from the rooftops about last year.

It should make for a very interesting offseason.

Weak drafts and pathetic draft management in last 4 yrs caught up now. What's is worse is that they've had the most draft flexibility over last few yrs....and what exactly did they net (excluding taded picks for Moss and Welker) ?
- L Maroney Rd 1
- M Hill(RIP) Rd 2
- C Jackson Rd 2
- D. Thomas Rd 3
- G. Mills Rd 4
- Kareem Brown Rd 4
- Wheatley Rd 2
- Crable Rd 3
- O'Connel Rd 3
- Wilhite Rd 4

Yes, excluding the productive players we traded for and the productive picks we selected, and including some fourth round picks, our 1-3 round drafting certainly looks like it was outsourced to the bright minds at Medicore.

We'll have more detailed discussion in the coming weeks, but if you ar saying that Guyton and Wright don't have spots on our front seven, no one is listening.

I noted that I was referring to starters. If Wright and Guyton are starting next season, start penciling in your vacation time for no later than the week following next season's wild card matchups, just like this year. It might be a week later than that if the team addresses the offensive problems, but one of those two weeks should work wonderfully if you make reservations ahead of time.

I expect to re-sign or to replace both Wilfork and Bodden (hopefully re-sign)

Yes, Wilfork is vital and Bodden is the approximate equivalent of Hobbs, albeit without the return game aspect, so he's worth keeping around as well.

Our front seven is now
Warren, Wilfork, Wright/Green/Burgess
Thomas/Woods, Mayo, Guyton, Banta-Cain

I presume that the upgrades are to Green, Burgess and Thomas.

So, I agree that the needs are more than the one corner and two linebackers of last year. Presuming Wilfork, we need a corner, two linebackers and a DE. Of course, the team might think that Pryor is the DE. But I would like to see us sign a top OLB and also draft a linebacker and a DE.

They'll need a starter at DE, one at ILB and 2 at OLB. They'll also need at least one corner. If Bodden moves on, they'll need 2. They can't afford to head into next season with Butler, Wilhite or Wheatley being relied on to start, and they can't count on Springs being both good enough and healthy enough to hold down a starting spot for the full season. We saw the problems with those sorts of assumptions this season. I expect Belichick to have learned from at least most of the mistakes of the past 12 months.

Last edited:
We're presuming that we have already used significant resources on Wilfork.

Belichick may or may not have learned from most of the decisions that you consider mistakes in the past 12 months. In any case, it extremely doubtful that he will find the resources for the 6 defensive starters you seek at DE, OLB, OLB, ILB, CB and CB. I think 3 starters is much more likely (DE, OLB and CB).

DE (I agree with drafting 1)
We have a rotation. We two real starters: Wilfork and Warren. Burgess, Wright and Green all get lots and lots of reps. I agree that we need to use a top draft choice for a DL. presumably a DE, but I wouldn't put it past Belichick to take on of the top NT's and have Wilfork play alot of DE.

ILB (I don't think that we will meet this need)
How high will Belichick put this on his list of needs with Mayo, Guyton and McKenzie on the squad? Personally, I'd keep Thomas and move him inside. he could trade up for McClain but I don't see it. I see Guyton starting at ILB again in 2010.

OLB (I think that we will sign a free agent)
I guess we are replacing Thomas. Woods and Banta-Cain sort of share the other OLB spot. You would also upgrade that spot. I suspect that the resoures will be found to sign a free agent OLB.

CORNERS (I would sign Bodden or a replacement)
We will depend on Bodden and springs to start and ONE of the others to be able to step in by midseason (probably Butler). I could see a low level corner signed in free agency to compete with Wheatley for his roster spot.

I .
They'll need a starter at DE, one at ILB and 2 at OLB. They'll also need at least one corner. If Bodden moves on, they'll need 2. They can't afford to head into next season with Butler, Wilhite or Wheatley being relied on to start, and they can't count on Springs being both good enough and healthy enough to hold down a starting spot for the full season. We saw the problems with those sorts of assumptions this season. I expect Belichick to have learned from at least most of the mistakes of the past 12 months.

Last edited:
along with
OL
WR
TE
P
RB

oh, wait.....tha's pretty much entire team.

- L Maroney Rd 1
- M Hill(RIP) Rd 2
- C Jackson Rd 2
- D. Thomas Rd 3
- G. Mills Rd 4
- Kareem Brown Rd 4
- Wheatley Rd 2
- Crable Rd 3
- O'Connel Rd 3
- Wilhite Rd 4

You can also add the picks we gave away for Greg Lewis, Gallaway, and Alex Smith. We had a few success like Mayo and Guyton, Welker (2nd rd trade), and Moss (4th round). But failure ratio of 2nd to 5th round drafts is too high in last 4 years. The middle round is where Colts and Chargers were hitting home runs. Colts have consistently drafted better players even while picking behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore