PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly Meriweather is medicore

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how does a mediocre defensive unit manage to rank tied for 3rd in points allowed 14 games into an NFL season? I'll admit, I'm no football expert, so perhaps there's something I'm missing.

whoops there are those pesky facts again. Here is another one, our opponents are a combined 103-93. We have only played 4 games against teams with a losing record.

Indy opponents are a combined 95-101 and San Diego's opponents are 92-103.

What do you mean? I was speaking of the Landry who wasn't highly drafted, Dawan, in Baltimore. I conflated the two with the safety who ALSO wasn't highly drafted, Chris Horton, in Washington.

So I confused my Lawan and Dawans. Is that a big victory for you?

The point is the same. They took late round picks and made them better safeties than our highly drafted pick.

And his point of "Lawan WAS highly drafted!". Duh, that's not the one of which I was speaking.

That would be fine but for Dawan Landry being an awful player. He's an utter liability for the Ravens.

Great post.

I am thinking of his brother, Dawan, who wasn't very highly drafted but is a good player, nonetheless. YOu didn't even know he had a brother in the NFL. Yeah, my big sin. And Chris Horton from UCLA, who I wanted us to draft, who is on the Redskins.

Anyone who isn't sucking ballsacks is a clown to you.

Uhhhh Dawan plays for Baltimore. That's Ravens who have a torched secondary.

You see, Washington is a city, Baltimore is another city. If they were the same city, both would be called Baltimore or Washington.

I also love the "I was thinking...." comment. Kinda like working without tools.

Medicore sounds like a prescription drug plan.

Uhhhh Dawan plays for Baltimore. That's Ravens who have a torched secondary.

You see, Washington is a city, Baltimore is another city. If they were the same city, both would be called Baltimore or Washington.

I also love the "I was thinking...." comment. Kinda like working without tools.

I already explained that I conflated the two. Are you daft? I didn't say they were teh same city.

Washington has a low picked safety who is much better than Merriweather. Baltimore has one too, Landry, who is in Baltimore, whilst his brother, who WAS highly picked and thus not relevent for comparison, is in DC. The point is that both are better than 1st round gnat Merriweather.

Feel better now? Working without tools? Are you a guy who works with wrenches and such? Sounds about right. Get to work on that leaky toilet and stop wasting your time on a message board.

Dawan Landry better than Meriweather?

LOL.

Man, this guy has to be the worst poster on PatsFans.

Meriweather has the talent to be a playmaker in what could become a very good secondary. Once he gets his tackling fundamentals down he'll be a top-tier safety. Don't understand why people here aren't happy unless they're declaring someone overrated.

Dawan Landry better than Meriweather?

LOL.

Man, this guy has to be the worst poster on PatsFans.

Jack

Are you saying Ladrawn Hortondry, who plays for Baltington isn't a great safety?

Maybe this guy works for Charlie Casserly and doesn't know it.

Jack

Are you saying Ladrawn Hortondry, who plays for Baltington isn't a great safety?

Maybe this guy works for Charlie Casserly and doesn't know it.

And they say American's don't do sarcasm :)

So, how does a mediocre defensive unit manage to rank tied for 3rd in points allowed 14 games into an NFL season? I'll admit, I'm no football expert, so perhaps there's something I'm missing.

Well yeah. Can't argue with that one. Most important defensive stat for sure. Think they're pretty middle of the pack in rushing/passing yards allowed. The old eyeball analysis tells me they have trouble getting off the field on third down.

Seem like a squad devoid of stars/outstanding players that seems to get it done regardless of who's in there (though at times not pretty). Case in point I see Brace and Wright more than covered for Wilfork and Warrens absence. Allowed 105 yards rushing and the pats average 109.

Too me what comes to mind is some the very basic stuff.
1.Head up see what you hit as you can't hit what you can't see.
2.Wrap up come on this is kids stuff.
3.The lowest man wins. If you want proof watch Chung kill a O line guy in a INT return.

Well yeah. Can't argue with that one. Most important defensive stat for sure. Think they're pretty middle of the pack in rushing/passing yards allowed. The old eyeball analysis tells me they have trouble getting off the field on third down.

Seem like a squad devoid of stars/outstanding players that seems to get it done regardless of who's in there (though at times not pretty). Case in point I see Brace and Wright more than covered for Wilfork and Warrens absence. Allowed 105 yards rushing and the pats average 109.

15th in the NFL in 3rd down D. I thought it would be worse but the Bills were 2-12 on 3rd down so that certainly helped the averages.

Meriweather is a good, athletic safety. He is undisciplined and needs to refine his technique in order to develop consistency.
Remember the "Is Meriweather an elite safety" threads from 2 months ago?
This kid has the skills to be one of the better safeties in the game. But, he still has a ways to go before getting to an elite level.

Dawan Landry?

If you are looking purely at stats, even then you are wrong. Landry has been a starter for the Ravens since 2006 while Meriweather didn't become a complete starter for the Patriots until 2008. They have almost identical numbers in Interceptions, Pass Deflections, and Sacks with Landry having more tackles then Meriweather.

This stupid argument comes from that asinine complaint about "draft position". Because Landry is drafted in the 5th round and has almost identical numbers to Meriweather who was drafted in the 1st round, then Landry is better then Meriweather. Seriously, people need to look at the full scope of things.

This message is hidden because klinefan is on your ignore list.

[X] Makes life easier

Merriweather is our version of Roy Williams.

Big hitter, an OK tackler, and sometimes lousy in coverage.

This stupid argument comes from that asinine complaint about "draft position". Because Landry is drafted in the 5th round and has almost identical numbers to Meriweather who was drafted in the 1st round, then Landry is better then Meriweather. Seriously, people need to look at the full scope of things.

Dawan Landry has also had the greatest safety to ever play the game playing next to him his entire career. Laron Landry has basically been a bust

Meriweather is one of the better safeties in the league and it is only his third season

Last edited:
I love it when threads start out like:

"Now, I like (X) player and do believe he has talent...with that said, he sucks! He will never be good enough! He does this this and this wrong!"

I never said he sucks. I said he's mediocre... average. He's not breaking out into the superstar that alot of people thought he would at the beginning of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back