PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ha Ha A$ante $amuel$

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Samuel was on our roster, he'd be our clear cut best CB. That's not funny, it's tragic.

Is it? He'd be the best CB on probably 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL.

Sounds like Cromartie.

Yeah, Cromartie and Samuel are about the same except Samuel hasn't been a bust for most of his career.

Samuel hasn't lived up to his contract and I don't blame the Pats for not resigning him at the point they let him go to free agency. I do blame them for not seeing his talent when he was cheaper a couple of years early.

That said, I think Samuel always wanted more than his actual value to the team at the time. When he was just an average CB, he wasnted above average money. When he was above average, he wanted elite money. When he was close to elite, he wanted elite money. He got his elite money, but never lived up to his elite status. He can definitely make plays, but he gives up a lot of plays too.

The Jets were in the AFC championship, that's how well it worked out for them.

And the Colts B slapped them. At least NE would have given Indy a game.

They backed into the playoffs, got the easiest wildcard in Cinci and beat stupid Norv Turners team 17 - 14. Keating missed 3 FG's.

When the Jets luck ran out they folded like the cheap tent they are.

The Jets wont do crap this season. Just watch.

Yeah, Cromartie and Samuel are about the same except Samuel hasn't been a bust for most of his career.

And Brodney Poole is a concussion waiting to happen.

If you bother to take a few less sips of the kool-aid you'd would see that team is loaded with young talent, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Didn't you say last year they'd win maybe 6 games?

It's not 2003 anymore, there is no hot tub time machine for you to jump into.

You pretty much summed up your Jets right there.

Is it? He'd be the best CB on probably 2/3rds of the teams in the NFL.

Perhaps he would, but he would be the highest paid CB on 30 out of 32 teams..... and his contract is 2 years old. Congrads, you just killed your own argument more effectively than the guys you were agruing against.

As a former DB in college, I spend alot of time watching the defensive backfield play at Gilette and, while the Patriots obviously hadn't effectively replaced Samuel, I believe they made the correct decision when Samuel essentially forced his way out of town. The complaints about his game from the Eagles organization are valid. Samuel plays the game his way only. Always did. And, on this board for many people, the "idea" of Asante Samuel is much greater than the "reality" of Asante Samuel.

like him or not, the pats haven't done that well since he's been gone......

same thing could be said about deion branch........in fact, one could argue that deion branch was the difference in separating the pats from a 4th SB in 2006......if that's not a reason to pay a guy, I don't know what is......sometimes the 'patriot way' has worked for the pats, sometimes it has worked against the pats.......maybe deion branch made the wrong decision to go to seattle, but by the same token, maybe the pats made a mistake by letting things go down the way they did.......

I believe both are instances of the blanket theory of waiting until the last possible moment to try to extend guys......both cases seemed worthy enough to preempt with a deal prior to their final contract year......

Last edited:

They backed into the playoffs, got the easiest wildcard in Cinci and beat stupid Norv Turners team 17 - 14. Keating missed 3 FG's.

one could easily say that about the pats, too

Last edited:
he would be our number 1 CB if he were on the team now (shows how weak our secondary is) but he cost us the super bowl with his lazy play particularly on the last drive. so i say the pats did the right thing.

like him or not, the pats haven't done that well since he's been gone......

same thing could be said about deion branch........in fact, one could argue that deion branch was the difference in separating the pats from a 4th SB in 2006......if that's not a reason to pay a guy, I don't know what is......sometimes the 'patriot way' has for for the pats, sometimes it has worked against the pats.......maybe deion branch made the wrong decision to go to seattle, but by the same token, maybe the pats made a mistake by letting things go down the way they did.......

I believe both are instances of the blanket theory of waiting until the last possible moment to try to extend guys......both cases seemed worthy enough to preempt with a deal prior to their final contract year......

Only problem with that theory was they tried to and the money they offered to each was deemed insulting because they both had delusions of grandeur. In a capped league you can't give in to those and hope to succeed. They brought Mason in that offseason to let Deion know that there was 4/$20M available for a #1 WR. They offered Givens the same 5/$18.5M that Houston offered him. They wisely didn't match Tennessee's idiotic offer of 5/$24M...

Asante was offered a deal in the offseason before 2006 for reportedly $4.5M per. He was insulted although pundits were claiming after that season he had no trade value based on his performance in a Harrison-less secondary. Ellis Hobbs beat him out for the LCB slot in camp, and he only got it back after Ellis broke his wrist and managed to somehow remain available for duty only in a cast... By the end of that season as his INT's reached personal record best double digits, he was being offered $5.5-6M per. But by then he wanted top 3 money.

They probably sould have traded him under the tag but I doubt there was much interest as teams were waiting to see if he was legit. Philly guessed wrong and a touch of buyers remorse is setting in. A top three CB makes at least one if not two or all three of the plays he miscalculated on in that superbowl... Asante gambled he would feast on Eli in that Superbowl, and we lost as a result. We kept him under the tag and LOST. So please stop making him out to be the missing link ever since... We'd have been better off today if they'd flipped him in 2007 for a future draft pick because that record setting offense was what got us to that superbowl and absent it Asante Samuel wasn't a difference maker in 2007.

he would be our number 1 CB if he were on the team now (shows how weak our secondary is)

It shows nothing of the sort, at least if you believe he's as good as many around here claim.

The Patriots got "B slapped" by the Ravens in the wildcard round, so I don't really see that you've got any point here.

The Pats secondary is in fine shape right now and we made the right decision not giving him that money.

If there was any mistake it was not being better prepared for his departure and in 2008 we definitely suffered from that. But without Brady who knows what difference it would have even made.

Only problem with that theory was they tried to and the money they offered to each was deemed insulting because they both had delusions of grandeur. In a capped league you can't give in to those and hope to succeed. They brought Mason in that offseason to let Deion know that there was 4/$20M available for a #1 WR. They offered Givens the same 5/$18.5M that Houston offered him. They wisely didn't match Tennessee's idiotic offer of 5/$24M...

Asante was offered a deal in the offseason before 2006 for reportedly $4.5M per. He was insulted although pundits were claiming after that season he had no trade value based on his performance in a Harrison-less secondary. Ellis Hobbs beat him out for the LCB slot in camp, and he only got it back after Ellis broke his wrist and managed to somehow remain available for duty only in a cast... By the end of that season as his INT's reached personal record best double digits, he was being offered $5.5-6M per. But by then he wanted top 3 money.

They probably sould have traded him under the tag but I doubt there was much interest as teams were waiting to see if he was legit. Philly guessed wrong and a touch of buyers remorse is setting in. A top three CB makes at least one if not two or all three of the plays he miscalculated on in that superbowl... Asante gambled he would feast on Eli in that Superbowl, and we lost as a result. We kept him under the tag and LOST. So please stop making him out to be the missing link ever since... We'd have been better off today if they'd flipped him in 2007 for a future draft pick because that record setting offense was what got us to that superbowl and absent it Asante Samuel wasn't a difference maker in 2007.

Bingo! That's the 20-20 hindsight I agree with. If Bill had Mr Peabody's Wayback Machine, I'm sure that that's the route he'd take.

Last edited:
Bingo! That's the 20-20 hindsight I agree with. If Bill had Mr Peabody's Wayback Machine, I'm sure that that's the route he'd take.

Without Asante, the Patriots probably lose to Philly during the season.

Asante was supposed to be covering David Tyree on a certain Super Bowl play. Care to guess which one? He was busy jogging around, and we all know what happened after that...

Last edited:
And, on this board for many people, the "idea" of Asante Samuel is much greater than the "reality" of Asante Samuel.

Actually on this board the reality of Asante is much greater for most posters than the idea of him. A large number of posters tried to make the argument he wasn't as good as Ellis Hobbs after he left. Asante isn't flawless by any stretch but the reality is that he is a very good playmaker and this Patriots defense has been devoid of playmakers for 2 years. Does that make him a top 5 CB worthy of the $ paid to him? No it doesn't.

Last edited:
Without Asante, the Patriots probably lose to Philly during the season.

Agreed. But I could not care less about 16-0. As I watched the season progress it seemed like a slow motion train wreck. As the season reached December the 07 Pats looked weaker vs the enemy vs past years juggernaughts which played better late in the season. Opposing DCs once shock and awed began to experiment with effective schemes against the Pats. The flukey win over the Ravens (not that I didn't enjoy watching it) and the tough final season W at the Meadowlands vs the Giants seemed darkly foreboding to me.

And all said SB wiffs and all, it would be great to have Asante on the Patriots right now, contract details aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes