Welcome to PatsFans.com

McShay's 4/24 seven round projection

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by sebman2112, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The full mock can be found here

Patriots Pick:

Some picks of interest:

2. bakes781

bakes781 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's the highest I've seen him taken so far.

Seems very low very him.

3. Handel

Handel Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, a lot of BS:

4. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's not BS at all. BB and Urban are very good friends. Maybe he doesn't "love" Florida player's but he's signed or drafted a ton over the past year.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  5. SamBamsFan

SamBamsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"91. New England: Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State
    127. New England: Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State
    171. New England (compensatory selection): Justin Hickman, OLB, UCLA
    180. New England (from Arizona): Kelvin Smith, ILB, Syracuse
    202. New England: Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State
    208. New England (compensatory selection): Matt Moore, QB, Oregon State
    209. New England (compensatory selection): Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State
    247. New England (compensatory selection): Jason Snelling, FB, Virginia "

Well I like the picks if Hunt, Coe & Johnson. I like Snelliing though I'm not sure about his fit w/ the Pats O. Wasn't Roy Hall the one who mugged Ted Ginn in The NC game? If so, think of how many $'s he probably cost Ginn since then.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  6. Urgent

Urgent In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +257 / 4 / -0

#24 Jersey

Love that draft.

I almost always love the mocks more than the actual. Then realize that I knew nothing.

But Nelson, Beason, Hunt, Coe - that would be fantastic.
    Coe, who is not much discussed, would be a terrific fourth round pick and fit. Coach's son, versatile corner/safety, punt returner.
    Hickman, the OLB, had 12.5 sacks at UCLA last year - sort of a TBC role.
    Kelvin Smith had 115 tackles at Syracuse and would be decent depth at ILB. Should be better than Alexander.

Great defensive draft, plus Hunt.

Nelson would start.
    Beason would platoon with Bruschi and Vrabel, and could start when one of those two are injured.
    Hunt would be right in the rotation, also very versatile. Good ST as well.
    Coe would be nickel when Gay is injured.
    Hickman and Smith would both sub now and then.

The rest would struggle to make the team.

7. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Needs: ILB, S, CB, OLB, RB, OT, QB, P, NT Fairly done, if slightly different from how I'd rank them.

24. New England (12-4) (from Seattle) Projected pick: +Reggie Nelson, S, Florida Poorly done. If the stories about Nelson's difficulty with complex playbooks are legitimate, this is a very poor fit at Safety for the Pats. Should they want to use him as a CB, maybe, but he seems a poor choice for Safety.
    28. New England (12-4) Projected pick: +John Beason, LB, Miami-FL Poorly done. People love him for his reported playmaking ability, but his playmaking has come as a WLB in a 4-3, a poor position for translation to NE's 3-4. At least a SLB has demonstrated the ability to engage a TE.
    91. New England: Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State With the teams who need RB help, and the rumors of Lynch's off-field choices and back health starting to surface again, how does he figure Hunt to last this long?
    127. New England: Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State Decent choice.
    171. New England (compensatory selection): Justin Hickman, OLB, UCLA Decent choice.
    180. New England (from Arizona): Kelvin Smith, ILB, Syracuse Questionable choice, Smith may be able to bulk up to Pats prototype weight, but he's definitely a project. I'd rather have Prescott Burgess who has the frame to more easily reach prototype size.
    202. New England: Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State Decent choice.
    208. New England (compensatory selection): Matt Moore, QB, Oregon State Decent choice.
    209. New England (compensatory selection): Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State DT is in short supply in this draft, how does he figure this kid will last into the sixth round with his raw talent and the need so many teams have for DT?
    247. New England (compensatory selection): Jason Snelling, FB, Virginia Fair choice, but a head scratcher in terms of talent & need.

8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

If the Pats draft Nelson I could see them moving him to cb. His football intellect, if it really is a problem, would not be as exposed there as at S, and his size could become an advantage instead of a flaw. If Beason becomes an impact LB for any team in the NFL, I will be very surprised. Seems like a good guy, I'm rooting for him, but he is a long shot IMO. Taking him in rd 1 seems like folly. I like Hunt, Antonio Johnson and J. Hickman is a real sleeper. Hickman's explosion is lacking but his speed and agility are competitive. He has a chance to develop into a starter in 3 years.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +86 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think BOR's analysis is very close to how I feel as well about this draft.

I think it was the Globe that first started publishing reports that Chad Jackson was having difficulties with the playbook. I could see that whole scenario all over again with Nelson.

If BB thinks Beason can be his "coverage" LB then this choice makes sense. But this kid is not going to step into the hole and take on guys like Steve Hutchinson, Eric Steinbach or Alan Faneca and expect to have a career more than 5 minutes long. Most NFL OG's would truck a little guy like this 97 times out a 100.

Coe is a large DB and lacks quick twitch. Hard to see BB playing him at CB. However he could pay huge dividends if switched to FS.

10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

My favorite picks are Coe and Moore. My very favorite is Johnson, but I don't think Johnson lasts until the second day. Once you get past Carriker, Harrell, and Alama-Francis, Johnson is probably the best 3-4 DE in the draft at 6-3 305 and a sub-5.00 40. With about 8 teams playing 3-4 most of the time, I can't see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.