PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gramatica Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda shocked by this. Gramattica has been pretty good, in the game part at least. Maybe they saw a lot in practice that says this kid is the real deal and maybe Gramattica isn't. I thought it would go down to the wire. Ya gotta love BB, he was just talking about the kickers, and he dumps one. Always keeping us and the media guessing. I do like the fact tha BB is so decisive, no messing around, the kid wins.

I said from the beginning that Grammatica was camp fodder, brought in to give the kid some competition, and it's held true. The Ghost is going to be premier kicker in this league before long, mark it down.

Richter said:
I said from the beginning that Grammatica was camp fodder, brought in to give the kid some competition, and it's held true. The Ghost is going to be premier kicker in this league before long, mark it down.

I hope you're right but BB has other reasons for declaring Gostowski the starter.

Cutting Gramatica is a double edged sword - the competition is over and Gostowski can and should develop some confidence over that - but Gostowski also now has a few weeks to contemplate the fact that there's a lot of expectation placed directly on him.

As that sinks in BB likely wants to see how he does with that particular pressure. And if Gostowski should falter betwenn now and the end of pre-season, Gramatica or other kickers are a phone call away.

There was no cutdown deadline today - BB cut Gramatica for a reason - he sends two messages to Gostowski by doing so

1.) All th pressure's on you now and the job is yours to lose
2.) Don't lose it

Last edited by a moderator:
Kdo5 said:
Per Mike Reiss

Woooohooooo..Glad to see the Rook stay.I was hoping he would get the pick.Now lets see if in 10 years he has the same kind of Resume Vinatieri had.Damn.Todays a good day...

Patriots4Ever said:
Woooohooooo..Glad to see the Rook stay.I was hoping he would get the pick.Now lets see if in 10 years he has the same kind of Resume Vinatieri had.Damn.Todays a good day...

I think it's a serious reach to expect him to turn out as good as Vinatieri. I'm just hoping for an adequate kicker. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

How could anyone believe that after so many years out of the game, Gramatica, who at the tail end of his career was no Automatica, would be kicking 45 yard field goals in the New England snow? Smart move by Belichick to go with the rookie. Patriots fans have to bite their tongue whenever Gostowski misses his first field goal. He's a long term solution, so do not be fooled by short term results.

Sunsets with Katie! said:
How could anyone believe that after so many years out of the game, Gramatica, who at the tail end of his career was no Automatica, would be kicking 45 yard field goals in the New England snow? Smart move by Belichick to go with the rookie. Patriots fans have to bite their tongue whenever Gostowski misses his first field goal. He's a long term solution, so do not be fooled by short term results.
Years? :confused:

According to my research Gramatica hasn't been a regular field goal kicker since the 2003 season.
That's because he has been recovering from a hernia. Before he was injured he was one of the best kickers in the NFL. Yes, even arguably better than our golden boy. Plus, he's only 30, not sure how that means he's at the tail end of his career. And he has kicked in his fair share of bad weather. Do a little research on where he played college ball and what division he was playing in. He's going to make somebody a pretty good kicker.

According to my research Gramatica hasn't been a regular field goal kicker since the 2003 season.
Could be, I seemed to remember stories that he was out of football last year and had played somewhere in 2004 (if badly). Either way, I still wish him well and hope being part of the "who replaces AV" story has given him good exposure for a shot elsewhere.

IIRC, Tuna cut his old favorite PK from his Giants days to give Adam V the job when he was the Pats HC. That turned out OK. But, I'm glad da Kid won out for a couple of\reasons, not the least of which is I never liked Gramatica's act. I also question what kind of PK he'll be in Foxboro in January and can imagine him huddled on the bench by a heater with several player parka's on hoping he isn't called on to kick. And I think da Kid will be much more of a 'football player' type PK in that he'll be more likely to stick his nose in there to try and make a tackle as the last line of defense where any Gramatica attempt would be lame at best. Plus, da Kid has a nice 1st
name -:)

I never understood why, when it was learned last week that Gostkowski was to play all of Preseason Game 2, the conventional wisdom was that Grammatica was winning the spot, and Gost had to hurry up and catch up to Gram.

Why is getting benched a good sign for a player?

Last edited:
Gostwoski It is going it to make brilliant, goes gostwoski!

huskeralk said:
I've got the perfect nickname. I think it has a real good ring to it...

Stephen Gostkowski!!

And yet:

Stephen "The Polish Mule" Gostkoski: Kicking balls in 06'-07'!! :wha:

[And, BTW, not to be a grammar cop or anything, it's '06-'07, not 06'-07'.]

On a related note: Thanks for the new sig, T-Shirt. I figure he deserves all the support he can get, and it's one of my favorite Pats pictures. :)

Last edited:
PatsSteve1 said:
IIRC, Tuna cut his old favorite PK from his Giants days to give Adam V the job when he was the Pats HC. That turned out OK. But, I'm glad da Kid won out for a couple of\reasons, not the least of which is I never liked Gramatica's act. I also question what kind of PK he'll be in Foxboro in January and can imagine him huddled on the bench by a heater with several player parka's on hoping he isn't called on to kick. And I think da Kid will be much more of a 'football player' type PK in that he'll be more likely to stick his nose in there to try and make a tackle as the last line of defense where any Gramatica attempt would be lame at best. Plus, da Kid has a nice 1st
name -:)
I get so tired of this weather excuse. Do you guys think you're the only ones with bad weather. He played college ball in freakin' Kansas for crying out loud. Not to mention he has kicked in the NFC Central which isn't exactly known for pleasant winter weather. Not to mention that Gostkowski played college ball in freakin' Tennessee. I think if I had my choice of being in Kansas or Tennessee in the winter I would definately take Tennessee.

ctpatsfan77 said:
And yet:

On a related note: Thanks for the new sig, T-Shirt. I figure he deserves all the support he can get, and it's one of my favorite Pats pictures. :)
Hey, I figure if silly ***** nicknames for our players is the norm around here, I'm just going to take it and run with it. Be on the lookout for a huskeralk player nickname thread coming your way real soon. Of course all nicknames are official registered trademarks of huskeralk inc.

ctpatsfan77 said:
And yet:

But don't have a damn picture of Adam in your signature!

:enranged:

Last edited:
pats1 said:

Schefter? That is SICK! :eek:

pats1 said:

Wha?? That's not Adam in the sig, that's Gostkowski in camp.

Glad you liked it, ctpatsfan77 use it in good health. :)

huskeralk said:
Hey, I figure if silly ***** nicknames for our players is the norm around here, I'm just going to take it and run with it. Be on the lookout for a huskeralk player nickname thread coming your way real soon. Of course all nicknames are official registered trademarks of huskeralk inc.

I'm not complaining about the nickname, I'm complaining about the fact you misspelled Gostkowski!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back