PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Compensatory picks and why NE won't get any in 2024

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm posting this here so as not to derail the transactions thread.

Just a quick reminder: the most recent CBA revamped the compensatory pick system.

Basically, to qualify for a compensatory pick, a player:
  • * Must be signed by their new team by the Monday after the draft;
  • * Must have reached free agency as the result of the natural termination of their contract (void years are OK, but declined options/being released are not); and
  • * Must rank in the top 35% of players.
The latter ranking happens first and foremost by the average annual value of the contract. There is a small adjustment for playing time and an even smaller one for postseason honors. Spending most/all of the season on IR does not prohibit a player from qualifying.

Once that list is compiled, if you lose more free agents than you sign, you can get comp picks. If you sign more than you lose, you cannot get comp picks.

This season, the Patriots lost two qualifying FAs: Jakobi Meyers and Nelson Agholor. They signed four: JJSS, Gesicki, Reiff, and Calvin Anderson. Therefore, they will not get any compensatory picks in 2024.

Bwoy real surprise there stop the presses.
vintage publishing GIF by US National Archives
:rolleyes:

Wonder how this year will shake out for 25.

Letting Trent Brown walk I’d imagine will net a decent pick. Onwenu walking would probably at least net a 4th or higher (though I hope he’s retained)

Henry probably nets at least a 5th if he goes.

Everyone else who may leave in FA (think Dugger, Uche, Bourne) may net some late rounders at best.

Letting Trent Brown walk I’d imagine will net a decent pick.
Onwenu walking would probably at least net a 4th or higher (though I hope he’s retained)

Everyone else who may leave in FA (think Dugger, Uche, Bourne) may net some late rounders at best.
I'm hoping Trent is in Mayo's plans.

Letting Trent Brown walk I’d imagine will net a decent pick. Onwenu walking would probably at least net a 4th or higher (though I hope he’s retained)

It’ll all depend on what they do with the $75-$80m in cap space they have once they release JC Jackson. If they make a big name signing or two, it’ll likely cancel out the big names you mention on the Patriots end.

It’ll all depend on what they do with the $75-$80m in cap space they have once they release JC Jackson. If they make a big name signing or two, it’ll likely cancel out the big names you mention on the Patriots end.
I'm not sure they're going to release him, but that contract definitely isn't staying as is.

Agreed. Although I'd be fine with that if the FA's that they bring in excel with the Patriots.

I've always liked Trent I think he gets a bad rap around here.
Comes off as lazy and unmotivated. Showing up just to collect a check...no thanks. It's time to move on from him.

We are going to have 100 mill of cap room so I doubt we will be getting comp picks.

You only net picks if you sign fewer qualified Free Agents.

With the money the Pats have, I expect them to no get any comp picks again for 2025.. Regardless of who walks.

I expect Brown, Uche, Henry and Gesicki to all be gone. Same with Slater (retirement) , Mills, Davis, Reiff (retirement), Ferentz, Reagor, and Pharaoh Brown. I expect Onwenu, Bourne, Dugger, Wilson, Jennings, Bryant, and Elliott to be re-signed.

They currently sit at $67M in free cap space for 2024. Why do you assume that they are going to release Jackson with the new management in place? I'm with you on thinking it, but Mayo isn't BB and we don't know where he stands on things like this..

They currently sit at $67M in free cap space for 2024. Why do you assume that they are going to release Jackson with the new management in place? I'm with you on thinking it, but Mayo isn't BB and we don't know where he stands on things like this..
You think anyone is looking at JC Jackson today and saying “he’s worth )15 mill, we couldn’t do any better with that money”?

You only net picks if you sign fewer qualified Free Agents.

With the money the Pats have, I expect them to no get any comp picks again for 2025.. Regardless of who walks.

I expect Brown, Uche, Henry and Gesicki to all be gone. Same with Slater (retirement) , Mills, Davis, Reiff (retirement), Ferentz, Reagor, and Pharaoh Brown. I expect Onwenu, Bourne, Dugger, Wilson, Jennings, Bryant, and Elliott to be re-signed.
If we are bringing in a DC from NO, Carolina or Denver that we are interviewing, then we would be scrapping our defense and bringing in what they have worked with so many of those defensive FAs would no longer be good fits and we will need to take picks and cap $$ we thought was going to offense to bring in defensive players to rebuild that side of the ball to fit the new scheme.

You think anyone is looking at JC Jackson today and saying “he’s worth )15 mill, we couldn’t do any better with that money”?
Don't know. I do know they need to spend 33 million to get to the cap floor, so keeping Jackson's number on the books might be worth it for that reason to them.

Don't know. I do know they need to spend 33 million to get to the cap floor, so keeping Jackson's number on the books might be worth it for that reason to them.
They can give it to someone else.

They can give it to someone else.
Of course they *can*.
Free agency's going to tell us a lot. If it's Case Keenum, Lavishka Shenault and a lot of flotsam and jetsam, well, we have our answer.

I would wager because we are getting Gonzales back... his injury was really the only reason we traded for JC

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back