PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 Cap Space - Don't be deceived

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Question... I read that the Patriots will have the most Cap money available in 2024.

Is this true?

How does this come about, if true? Is this compared to the other team's or just themselves? If this is true, is it get through this season 23-24 and build the team in 24-25 ?
@Brewskies -
Currently, yes, the Patriots are looking at about 107M in cap space with 54 players signed. HOWEVER, this is deceiving for 3 reasons.

1) The BIGGEST reason is that they haven't signed a QB for over $30M/yr. Jones will still be on his rookie deal in 2024.

2) They have the FOLLOWING who are UFA:
Onwenu, Uche, Dugger, Henry, Trent Brown, Kendrick Bourne, and Jalen Mills. 6 out of 7 of those are starters. You also have Matt Slater likely retiring. Not to mention Riley Reiff, Mike Gesicki, and Cody Davis as UFA. The Pats have

Onwenu, Uche, Dugger, and Henry could eat up $45M-75M in AAV (1st year hits won't be as much).

3) Of the "54" signed, there could be as many as 10 players in the bottom of that 54 who don't make this year's roster, let alone be around for next year.

1) Why is that “deceptive”? Jones cap number is Jones cap number.
2) Cap space is used both to resign players and to let them go and sign replacements. How is that “deceptive”?
There is absolutely no chance that Onwrnu, Uche, Dugger and Henry have average annual value contracts of 75 mill. There 18.75 mill each. And AAV is “deceptive” when taking about the 2024 cap because the first year hit us dramatically lower.
3) that is no different than any other team and those 10 would be replaced by the draft class at pretty much no net difference.

I am hoping we see the return of Dugger, Uche, Onwenu, Henry & maybe Mills and possible Bourneif he gets it together this year... At least we have the room to bring them back without major cap work... Makes me wonder if any of them will bite on an extension this year, avoiding free agency...

Last edited:
@Brewskies -
Currently, yes, the Patriots are looking at about 107M in cap space with 54 players signed. HOWEVER, this is deceiving for 3 reasons.

1) The BIGGEST reason is that they haven't signed a QB for over $30M/yr. Jones will still be on his rookie deal in 2024.

Onwenu, Uche, Dugger, Henry, Trent Brown, Kendrick Bourne, and Jalen Mills. 6 out of 7 of those are starters. You also have Matt Slater likely retiring. Not to mention Riley Reiff, Mike Gesicki, and Cody Davis as UFA. The Pats have

Onwenu, Uche, Dugger, and Henry could eat up $45M-75M in AAV (1st year hits won't be as much).

3) Of the "54" signed, there could be as many as 10 players in the bottom of that 54 who don't make this year's roster, let alone be around for next year.
Very informative, I appreciate the information. So the statement is correct but not properly utilized as in here we go with little money to sign a UFA QB.

Very informative, I appreciate the information. So the statement is correct but not properly utilized as in here we go with little money to sign a UFA QB.

Besides signing Uche, Henry, and Onwenu, the Pats will be looking for an OT. The problem, again, will be lack of available talent at OT.

Trent Brown is likely to be one of the top 3 OTs available in FA in 2024, but he'll be 31. Terence Steele may be someone who, at 27, could step in as he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but we'll have to see how the season plays out.

The good thing for the Pats for next season is that there are actually a TON of good guards who will be available. That will hopefully allow the Pats to re-sign Onwenu. By my count, there are 14 OGs who played 70% or more of their teams offensive snaps in 2022/2023.

I don't think that the Pats can afford to lose both Onwenu and Brown. I think they'll be looking to keep the younger of the two players. Especially since Onwenu seems to be one of the top 3 RGs in the league.

Yeah, not sure how deceptive it is, especially since they also have plenty of cap space in 2025 and beyond. They have options.

Also Mac Jones will be in year three in 2024, but he’s under contract until 2025 and possibly 2026 if they pick up his fifth year option. He has played decent, but certainly hasn’t earned a max contract extension by any means. And what if Zappe comes and takes the job, or plays just as well, he’s only in year two.

This season will be important for them in determining who their foundational players are going forward and deciding who to pay. They can certainly pay a lot of them and spread the cap hits around so they don’t all sting in one given year. It’s easy to front load them now because they’re not paying the QB.

We’ll see who stays healthy, who plays out of their minds this season… but this is a good problem to have. They want these young players to play well and earn their money.

They’re already accounting for these players free agency by drafting interior OL for Onwenu, Mapu for Duggar, White for Judon. It’s up to the rookies, second and third year players to prove themselves now.

Last edited:
Besides signing Uche, Henry, and Onwenu, the Pats will be looking for an OT. The problem, again, will be lack of available talent at OT.

Trent Brown is likely to be one of the top 3 OTs available in FA in 2024, but he'll be 31. Terence Steele may be someone who, at 27, could step in as he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but we'll have to see how the season plays out.

The good thing for the Pats for next season is that there are actually a TON of good guards who will be available. That will hopefully allow the Pats to re-sign Onwenu. By my count, there are 14 OGs who played 70% or more of their teams offensive snaps in 2022/2023.

I don't think that the Pats can afford to lose both Onwenu and Brown. I think they'll be looking to keep the younger of the two players. Especially since Onwenu seems to be one of the top 3 RGs in the league.
Yes, we should try to bring back Onwenu.

If Brown is healthy this year, a very big if, I would also expect us to try to bring back Brown.

Sure seems to me that they could've gone the extra couple mil for Hopkins...

@Brewskies -

Given the amount of money available in 2025, I don't see us having huge problems in 2024. We have lots of cap money to replace or re-sign the 10 players you mention before the draft, although we may decide to wait for one of the OT positions. I don't count both Slater and Davis. One will be replaced in 2023.

Ten is a bit high, but so is the level of our cap money in 2024 and 2025. As you point out, the first year cap hit is much less than the average compensation.

Wow I am impressed. How did I get hooked up with a knowledgeable person like yourself? I don't care, I love it. I love my Patriots, I was an original season ticket holder on 9/1/1960. I am bedridden, almost 88 yrs old, I get excited being able to talk with someone like yourself. Thanks you, DaBruinz

From you name do I correctly assume you are a Bruins fan as well and knowledgeable about them also? How about the Celtics? Have a great day, you made mine terrific, I am smiling.

Deceptive with FA's needing to be re-signed or not....

It is better to have as much cap space as possible. Other teams play by the same rules.....

I am hoping we see the return of Dugger, Uche, Onwenu, Henry & maybe Mills and possible Bourneif he gets it together this year... At least we have the room to bring them back without major cap work... Makes me wonder if any of them will bite on an extension this year, avoiding free agency...
Agreed, I've kinda changed my viewpoints with players.. I'd rather see them have struggles in camp.. knowing that proven players like a KB will show up on game day. Standing around Going through drills, in 90 degree heat and humidity will affect the most disciplined of players. Not making excuses just IMO.. To your great points we have so many FAs come next season.. it's a wonder who will stay/go.

Yes, we should try to bring back Onwenu.

If Brown is healthy this year, a very big if, I would also expect us to try to bring back Brown.

Brown seems healthy. BB said he was lighter than usual (in good shape). Why "a very big if"?

Brown seems healthy. BB said he was lighter than usual (in good shape). Why "a very big if"?
There is just so much uncertainty with this team and organization going forward.. so many FAs to be.. will Mac continue to ascend as he was prior to last season? Can we be competitive and force a playoff berth? The O line for this season is Franklin the biggest concern for me personally.

There is just so much uncertainty with this team and organization going forward.. so many FAs to be.. will Mac continue to ascend as he was prior to last season? Can we be competitive and force a playoff berth? The O line for this season is Franklin the biggest concern for me personally.

1690887900371.gif

Thanks for trying to deceive everyone with a bunch of nonsense points.

Wow I am impressed. How did I get hooked up with a knowledgeable person like yourself? I don't care, I love it. I love my Patriots, I was an original season ticket holder on 9/1/1960. I am bedridden, almost 88 yrs old, I get excited being able to talk with someone like yourself. Thanks you, DaBruinz

From you name do I correctly assume you are a Bruins fan as well and knowledgeable about them also? How about the Celtics? Have a great day, you made mine terrific, I am smiling.
I grew up in Salem, NH idolizing Andy Moog. I was a huge Bruins fan until the one strike where Roenick ran his mouth and claimed that the players didn't need the fans. It was then that I stopped getting the NHL Package on DirecTV. Haven't really looked back since.

I grew up watching the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics. However, I stopped watching the Celtics not long after Reggie Lewis died. I only tacitly follow the Sox now. Especially with how the current Management fubared both the Betts and Boegarts situations.

Yeah, not sure how deceptive it is, especially since they also have plenty of cap space in 2025 and beyond. They have options.

Also Mac Jones will be in year three in 2024, but he’s under contract until 2025 and possibly 2026 if they pick up his fifth year option. He has played decent, but certainly hasn’t earned a max contract extension by any means. And what if Zappe comes and takes the job, or plays just as well, he’s only in year two.

This isn't correct, Wozzy. Jones is in year 3 of his contract NOW (2021, 2022, 2023). Year 4 is 2024. He'll only be under contract into 2025 IF the Patriots pick up his 5th yr Option. Personally, I think that the Pats will end up coming to to an agreement on an extension either after the 2023 season OR during the Summer of 2024. That would be better than exercising the 5th year option in the long run. Regardless, until then, the Pats don't have a $30M/yr QB on the team, which helps them spread money around.

I grew up in Salem, NH idolizing Andy Moog. I was a huge Bruins fan until the one strike where Roenick ran his mouth and claimed that the players didn't need the fans. It was then that I stopped getting the NHL Package on DirecTV. Haven't really looked back since.

I grew up watching the Pats, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics. However, I stopped watching the Celtics not long after Reggie Lewis died. I only tacitly follow the Sox now. Especially with how the current Management fubared both the Betts and Boegarts situations.
Got it, I grew up in Arlington Mass. I have been a big Boston sports fan but I was a Braves fan. For many reasons I don't follow baseball until the playoffs. So we can discuss the Patriots if you agree. Have a great day today, tomorrow and forever. Thanks again for the education. At my age it is slow learning later

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back