PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bye - Time For Some Extensions?

I think he can be on the 53. I am just going to restate that I won’t care if he moves on. And all the players you listed can move on w/o it bothering me in the least.

Perhaps we disagree, but a so so - are best - player like Jennings can be picked up w/o too much effort. NE has found players like Tavai, Ninko, Van Noy, Vrabel for very little and I’d argue all of them were better and more productive than Jennings. So replacing Jennings with someone as good or better : not that difficult.
So, ahving suceeded with Jennings, you want to let him go in the hope that you can find someone better at LB. I have an idea. Keep Jennings and also sign that other inexpensive free agent.

Sounds cheap.
Yes, cheap for an average veteran starting QB.

We once guaranteed a lineman. We had no OT's signed for the next year. The player could have been moved to LG and contributed. Instead, we made him the worst Rt in the NFL.

We once guaranteed a lineman. We had no OT's signed for the next year. The player could have been moved to LG and contributed. Instead, we made him the worst Rt in the NFL.
Mac's the future of the franchise.

So, ahving suceeded with Jennings, you want to let him go in the hope that you can find someone better at LB. I have an idea. Keep Jennings and also sign that other inexpensive free agent.
It’s more « I don’t care if he goes » than « I want to let him go ». Not going to stop watching if Jennings is on the 2024 squad. I just don’t see him, nor any of the listed players, as ‘must keepers’.

Example : when HT, Butler, and Collins were approaching FA, I was concerned. HT was ultimately kept and what an impact he had in both the 2014 & 2016 SBs. Crucial plays, great leader, awesome keeper. HT was a difference maker.

The players would be smart to cut off any extension talks and go straight into FA.

The team would be smart to not attempt at re-signing anyone until they know what they will do at HC/Front Office.
Abso agree. This team isn't one or two players away offensively. Need a dam near new Offensive line, basically every skill position on offense. Feels like we have a expansion team.

Abso agree. This team isn't one or two players away offensively. Need a dam near new Offensive line, basically every skill position on offense. Feels like we have an expansion team.
Qb solves 90%

Huh?

I agree. We need to extend Mac now before the QB market gets too crazy.
I think this is a distinct option. Whether it is the best course will depend on our eventual draft position, on the state of the "grizzled vet" qb market at the time, on our evolving evaluation of players available in the draft, on the presumed draft needs of other teams high in the draft order, on the comparative value at the time between the best qb available and players available at our many other areas of need, and so on. There is no urgency at all re making a decision on Mac at this time, therefore there is no need - indeed it would be irresponsibly premature - to make a Mac decision now. It may. - or may not - be that keeping Mac as a transitional option as a new qb prospect develops will make sense when the time does come to decide. Those who just want to dump Mac forthwith because they're in a purse-clutching snit over his play or over the fact he used to play tennis rather than shooting rats at the city dump need to stop hating and start thinking.

Won't happen
Agreed. I believed it's tied into the performance of said QB. Say Mac has 24 TDs and 10 INTs.. then he'd definitely be in line for the Daniel Jones contract.. at this point he treading towards a career back up somewhere in the league.

I would extend Onwenu, Dugger, Brown, and Henry right now. I'd like to know where we stand when free agency opens in March.

It would be nice to be ready to pounce on guys like Higgins and Jeudy before worrying about solidifying the OL depth and getting a TE2 before the draft.

Like I said . 2 decades of proof of near perfection at the position.
I’m talking snot this team and the problems it is having today not other teams in other years.

I would extend Onwenu, Dugger, Brown, and Henry right now. I'd like to know where we stand when free agency opens in March.

It would be nice to be ready to pounce on guys like Higgins and Jeudy before worrying about solidifying the OL depth and getting a TE2 before the draft.
I've asked. Is there a possibility that we could be able to do what Cincy did and find the QB and the WR both together in the draft?

I don't believe any player will receive a contract extension during this bye week.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back