PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bye - Time For Some Extensions?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is the time for extensions of 2nd level free agents.

POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS
Uche
Mills (he can play at lots of roles
Jennings
TE Brown
Gesicki
Elliot
Pharms
Ekuale

MUCH TOO EARLY FOR
Onwenu
OT Brown
Dugger
Henry

POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS
Uche
Jennings
TE Brown
Gesicki
Elliot
Pharms
Ekuale

MUCH TOO EARLY FOR
Onwenu
OT Brown
Dugger
Henry
2 of the only people I'd extend for sure, are in your 'Much too early for' list.

The problem with all these extensions now, is that the players have to actually want to stay here.

POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS
Uche
Jennings
TE Brown
Gesicki
Elliot
Pharms
Ekuale

MUCH TOO EARLY FOR
Onwenu
OT Brown
Dugger
Henry
i try to bring them all back except for trent brown... tired of that guy

Last edited:
TE Brown, Onwenu, and Duggar are the only ones I’d even consider. If every person on that list leaves, it’s not be a big deal imo.

Last edited:

POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS
Uche
Jennings
TE Brown
Gesicki
Elliot
Pharms
Ekuale

MUCH TOO EARLY FOR
Onwenu
OT Brown
Dugger
Henry
Why is it too early to sign Dugger Onwenu and Henry?

Ekuale is on a two year deal with one more after this, no?

If they can extend Onwenu, they absolutely have to. There’s a dearth of even acceptable tackles out there and not having to worry about the right tackle spot would be huge heading in to the offseason.

With how things have been going I'm thinking of getting bangs

Still wondering what happened to mills? He was reasonably solid at cb the first 2 years and was supposedly more suited for safety. But i barely see him in. And with the cb’s depleted you’d think they’d at least stick him back out there at cb if hes not working out at safety or not enough snaps available there .

Why is it too early to sign Dugger Onwenu and Henry?
It is the Belichick Way.

Top potential free agents have more complicated contract issues. Also, they want to consider where they would be in free agency, FInally, it often takes more cap work to sign their contracts.

I certainly have no objection extending any or all the free agents that you mention in your post.

Last edited:
TE Brown, Onwenu, and Duggar are the only ones I’d even consider. If every person on that list leaves, it’s not be a big deal imo.
That's not the issue.

You say that it is no big deal if Jennings leaves in free agency (just taking one of them). For me, the question is whether the team is better with them on it. I think that the team is stronger with Uche and/or Jennings signed, and also Mills. That's also true for P. Brown and Pharms. The cost should be relatively small for these 5, and the team would be better going forward.

The new GM will have plenty to deal with. It is OK for the current GM to make minor decisions, with the approval of Jonathan of course. As has been said, I prefer that Jonathan take over as interim GM in the next two weeks.

Last edited:
This is on the money, I think. My thought, as I have expressed before, is that everything this year, from this point on, must be entirely about 2024 and years following. There is no question that securing the services of our relatively few good players going forward very much meets that criterion. It's far more important than wasting time choosing among Mac, Zappe, and Malik as starters against the Giants, or endlessly ****yfooting around the obvious fact of our present GM's utter failure.

If i'm any of those guys I would not sign anything until I know what the new leadership structure is or the NEP offer a deal they can't refuse.

That's not the issue.

You say that it is no big deal if Jennings leaves in free agency (just taking one of them). For me, the question is the team better with them on it. I think that the team is stronger with Uche and/or Jennings signed, and also Mills. That's also true for Brown and Pharms. The cost should be relatively small for these 5, and the team would be better going forward.

The new GM will have plenty to deal with. It is OK for the current GM to make minor decisions, with the approval of Jonathan of course. As has been said, I prefer that Jonathan take over as interim GM in the next two weeks.
Any player who is decent at his best but rarely does anything at key moments, is expendable. That is very much the point.

Are we looking for 7-8 wins ? If that is the end goal, then by all means, fill the roster with Uche and Jennings types. They’ll get a play a month and be ‘mostly solid if unspectacular’. I’d rather win 3-4 next year and give players who will become a playmaker experience, despite the likely lumps.

What is your definition of « helping the team » ? If your goal is championships, then Jennings isn’t your guy. If it’s .500 middling…

The players would be smart to cut off any extension talks and go straight into FA.

The team would be smart to not attempt at re-signing anyone until they know what they will do at HC/Front Office.

If i'm any of those guys I would not sign anything until I know the new leadership structure is or the NEP offer a deal they can't refuse.
Yep. We are in the habit, quite a reasonable habit in the past, of assuming that New England will be an attractive destination for all sorts of players - vets, rookies, whatever. That is just no longer the case. Getting the coaching/management in order will go a long way toward mitigating what is now a legit disadvantage. Step one would be to stop ****yfooting around re Bill's obvious shortcomings and failures, drawing the obvious conclusions, and acting on them. It's time for the Krafts to abandon their Wizard of Oz shenanigans, and get busy. All but a few FOB fanboys know what must be done.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back