PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Bye - Time For Some Extensions?

That's not the issue.

You say that it is no big deal if Jennings leaves in free agency (just taking one of them). For me, the question is whether the team is better with them on it. I think that the team is stronger with Uche and/or Jennings signed, and also Mills. That's also true for P. Brown and Pharms. The cost should be relatively small for these 5, and the team would be better going forward.

The new GM will have plenty to deal with. It is OK for the current GM to make minor decisions, with the approval of Jonathan of course. As has been said, I prefer that Jonathan take over as interim GM in the next two weeks.
Huh? When did I say any of that?
You said it’s too early to extend Onwenu, Dugger, and Henry. I have absolutely no clue what in the world you are talking about with that statement.

I made no comment in any other statement you made.

When is Mac due his option?

Giving him money now would make him feel like the team wants him. Bring Mac back in 2024 and let the new Pats QB take the starting job away from Mac.

Yep. We are in the habit, quite a reasonable habit in the past, of assuming that New England will be an attractive destination for all sorts of players - vets, rookies, whatever. That is just no longer the case. Getting the coaching/management in order will go a long way toward mitigating what is now a legit disadvantage. Step one would be to stop ****yfooting around re Bill's obvious shortcomings and failures, drawing the obvious conclusions, and acting on them. It's time for the Krafts to abandon their Wizard of Oz shenanigans, and get busy. All but a few FOB fanboys know what must be done.
Well said.

Next year
Giving him money now would make him feel like the team wants him. Bring Mac back in 2024 and let the new Pats QB take the starting job away from Mac.
There is no reason to give Mac any additional money

This is the time for extensions of 2nd level free agents.

POSSIBLE EXTENSIONS
Uche
Mills (he can play at lots of roles
Jennings
TE Brown
Gesicki
Elliot
Pharms
Ekuale

MUCH TOO EARLY FOR
Onwenu
OT Brown
Dugger
Henry
Dugger should be at the forefront for extensions. However The...organization is likely not to extend anyone right now. So many Injuries and bad contracts. The next GM is going to have to clean up this mess.

Next year

There is no reason to give Mac any additional money
Yes there is.

No more handing over the Pats starting QB job. Cam gifted the position to Jones by default. Furthermore, the Pats need to Inject value into Mac.

Yes there is.

No more handing over the Pats starting QB job. Cam gifted the position to Jones by default. Furthermore, the Pats need to Inject value into Mac.
Giving him cash does not accomplish that. Mac playing better does......

Yes there is.

Why would you want them to pick up his 5th year option?

TE Brown, Onwenu, and Duggar are the only ones I’d even consider. If every person on that list leaves, it’s not be a big deal imo.
Dugger would be a big deal. He's actually having his best season, even if the counting stats aren't there.

W....why would you ever pick up his 5th year option?
Even keeping him for 2024 is questionable, if he weren't making like $4 million next year, it wouldn't even be a consideration.

Any player who is decent at his best but rarely does anything at key moments, is expendable. That is very much the point.

Are we looking for 7-8 wins ? If that is the end goal, then by all means, fill the roster with Uche and Jennings types. They’ll get a play a month and be ‘mostly solid if unspectacular’. I’d rather win 3-4 next year and give players who will become a playmaker experience, despite the likely lumps.

What is your definition of « helping the team » ? If your goal is championships, then Jennings isn’t your guy. If it’s .500 middling…
If Jennings isn't good enough to be one of the 53, then I submit that there is ZERO chance that you will have enough money to field a team of those who meet your requirements.

If i'm any of those guys I would not sign anything until I know what the new leadership structure is or the NEP offer a deal they can't refuse.
I get it. You would want to look elsewhere. And many players will agree. But not all. Players have choices. We have choices. We too can go elsewhere if the leadership doesn't meet our standards. But, some posters will stay, even if we have the worst Offense in the NFL.

And also, some players, especially players on Defense might decide to stay. Perhaps. Jennings or Uche think they fit in well in our Defense, our Defense and our defensive personnel. I'm not so sure that what matters to players is the state of the Management.

MY BOTTOM LINE
Offers should be made to Uche, Jennings and Mills. If they want to be part of our 2024 Defense, then fine. As for any other free agent, he can wait and compare his potential situations. This is the situation every year. Some players find that they like their situation and want to stay. Others want to put themselves out there and HOPE that they find a better opportunity for themselves and their families.

MANAGEMENT
Jonathan can order Belichick not to negotiate with anyone. IMO, it is NOT in his company's best interest to give that order.

If Jennings isn't good enough to be one of the 53, then I submit that there is ZERO chance that you will have enough money to field a team of those who meet your requirements.
I think he can be on the 53. I am just going to restate that I won’t care if he moves on. And all the players you listed can move on w/o it bothering me in the least.

Perhaps we disagree, but a so so - are best - player like Jennings can be picked up w/o too much effort. NE has found players like Tavai, Ninko, Van Noy, Vrabel for very little and I’d argue all of them were better and more productive than Jennings. So replacing Jennings with someone as good or better : not that difficult.

If Bill is actually leaving and knows he’s going to another job, I highly doubt he is signing anyone yet in hopes he can take them with him on decent deal, when he cleans house at the next team.

Saw they extended Jabrill Peppers through 2024 which makes me happy.

I agree. We need to extend Mac now before the QB market gets too crazy.

Hunter Henry and Owenu are the only guys I truly like longterm.

W....why would you ever pick up his 5th year option?
Even keeping him for 2024 is questionable, if he weren't making like $4 million next year, it wouldn't even be a consideration.

I understood it as his 4th year option. I have not paid that much attention to his contract because were getting a bargain.

The Pats need him to finish out the home stretch.

Any player who is decent at his best but rarely does anything at key moments, is expendable. That is very much the point.

Are we looking for 7-8 wins ? If that is the end goal, then by all means, fill the roster with Uche and Jennings types. They’ll get a play a month and be ‘mostly solid if unspectacular’. I’d rather win 3-4 next year and give players who will become a playmaker experience, despite the likely lumps.

What is your definition of « helping the team » ? If your goal is championships, then Jennings isn’t your guy. If it’s .500 middling…
The defense isn’t the problem. The less work they gave to do next year on that side of the ball, the more they can focus on O.

Jennings is worth keeping, absolutely. Won’t be that expensive.

I agree. We need to extend Mac now before the QB market gets too crazy.
Mac Jones 5th year option is due early next year and puts the Pats on the hook for more than $23million, fully guaranteed.

If Bill is actually leaving and knows he’s going to another job, I highly doubt he is signing anyone yet in hopes he can take them with him on decent deal, when he cleans house at the next team.

Saw they extended Jabrill Peppers through 2024 which makes me happy.
was that done by someone other than Bill?
Why are the others different?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back