PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gramatica Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PromisedLand said:
Just out of curiousity (for those who are out of the local market and have been unable to catch the preseason games on TV) is Gostkowski pronounced so that the first syllable rhymes with "post" or with "cost"? (English is such as phonetically-challenged language!)
Cost.

Hek, ALK, waddaya think, would "the Kicker" be a workable nickname? :D

PromisedLand said:
Just out of curiousity (for those who are out of the local market and have been unable to catch the preseason games on TV) is Gostkowski pronounced so that the first syllable rhymes with "post" or with "cost"? (English is such as phonetically-challenged language!)

"Cost"

Like "Gosst-kow-ski"

BelichickFan said:
It's a soft o (like cost).
Thanks BF. In that case the nickname "ghost" doesn't make any sense anyway.

Why don't we wait and watch his career and personality unfold a bit more before we give him a nickname? And hopefully it will be more like "Adamatica" and not like "Missin' Scott Sisson". :D

PromisedLand said:
Thanks BF. In that case the nickname "ghost" doesn't make any sense anyway.
It actually does make sense. His name is Polish, and in Polish the pronunciation is very much like "ghost" ... it would sound like, "ghost-COUGH-ski" (though not exactly, but very close...thats an approximation for an English speaker).

If he was born and raised in the states, then this is all moot, anyhow. :bricks:

Last edited:
pats1 said:
"Cost"

Like "Gosst-kow-ski"
I knew that and still missed the obvious play on words!

Here... corrected. :D

Attachments

• gtbg-sig2.jpg
    gtbg-sig2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 193
basement zombie said:
It actually does make sense. His name is Polish, and in Polish the pronunciation is very much like "ghost" ... it would sound like, "ghost-COUGH-ski" (though not exactly, but very close...thats an approximation for an English speaker).

If he was born and raised in the states, then this is all moot, anyhow. :bricks:
Born: Jan 28, 1984 Madison, Miss.
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=32013

basement zombie said:
Madison, MS? Highly doubt there's a Polish borough down there...
Isn't Madison whats left of Mruczkowski after the Normans and Saxons get done with it? :rolleyes:

This has to be considered the first day of the post AV era. Ladies and gentleman we have a winner. Good luck to Stephen Gostkowski in his career as a Patriot, the fans are behind you and hopefully you'll have your first Super Bowl ring soon.:)

NEM said:
As well as several others.

I, personally, would have kept Gramatica. Dont come crying to me when the kid fails....which I hope he doesn't,BTW.
Someone should save that for the end of the season just in case. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Cost.

Hek, ALK, waddaya think, would "the Kicker" be a workable nickname? :D

I've been running it through my head and here's what I've come up with.

The Polish Mule!! Not because he's hung like a mule but because he kicks like one. Any takers?

huskeralk said:

The Polish Mule!! Not because he's hung like a mule but because he kicks like one. Any takers?

Just an FYI, in college he went by the nickname Gotti.

Good luck!

TedShow said:
Just an FYI, in college he went by the nickname Gotti.

Good luck!

Gostkowski...Gotti. WTF? :confused: I guess nobody ever said that nicknames had to make sense or sound cool for that matter.

huskeralk said:
Gostkowski...Gotti. WTF? :confused: I guess nobody ever said that nicknames had to make sense or sound cool for that matter.
I like it - much better than the other crappy ideas.

BelichickFan said:
I like it - much better than the other crappy ideas.
What? You didn't like Stephen Gostkowski? I for one thought it was an excellent suggestion.

Well, it's too late, he has officially been nicknamed!! :rocker:

Re: Hail Casper the Ghost...

Kdo5 said:
I'm sorry man but "Baseball" is problably the worst nick name I've heard so far.

Especially for a kid with a college ERA over 7. MLB arm - well maybe in Boston these days....

His college nickname was Gotti. I think it's best left to his teamates to decide what to call him. Hopefully his holder's prediction that the next kicker won't be the guy who replaces Adam...it will be the one after that, doesn't become painfully true. We won't really know until at least January.

Obviously BB chose the player with the most upside (age, long term cost, blank history - nothing good but equally important nothing bad), leg strength and more potential to develop that he's a football player kind of fit. I'd feel better about whatever kicker he chose if Branch and Jackson could get their butts on the field.

Gotti doesn't seem so bad. Ghost wasn't bad either. I dunno. Maybe he'll get a rapper nickname like G-money. ;P

huskeralk said:

That rates and ear flick and harness jingle.

Seriously, this is pretty encouraging news. It wasn't a war of attrition, Gramatica looked plenty good. 4th round pick or no, they wouldn't have released a solid vet at this stage if they didn't have real faith in the rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft