PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: New tape would mean more punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you happen to catch the reaction to the Pats at the draft? Those boos were louder than even the 'Boys, which is an accomplishment--the Pats have now become the most hated team in the League. Darn right that fans from other teams will notice (have noticed?) if you get coddled or special treatment and it will affect the popularity of the sport, no matter what you might think. I frequent other boards and you are the subject of more than your share of negative discussions and don't have many defenders. If Spygate blows up, the chips will need to fall where they may....

What was it that Belichick told Tom Jackson to do?:mad:

Did you happen to catch the reaction to the Pats at the draft? Those boos were louder than even the 'Boys, which is an accomplishment--the Pats have now become the most hated team in the League. Darn right that fans from other teams will notice (have noticed?) if you get coddled or special treatment and it will affect the popularity of the sport, no matter what you might think. I frequent other boards and you are the subject of more than your share of negative discussions and don't have many defenders. If Spygate blows up, the chips will need to fall where they may....

How stupid are you?? Since the draft has been held in NY - (always) the Pats have always been booed there seeing as the Jets/Pats rivalry has always been a part of things.

Of course the Patriots are now hated.....we are winners and it is great to be hated.

Just as I used to boo the Cowboys and 49ers - that is how it works, boo the great one, the dynasty, the perennial champions. Funny, I never really hated the Bills, only pitied them. Enjoy your pitiful loser franchise troll boy.

Oh and let me close with your favorite two words - "Wide Right"

The Rats waste a 4th round pick moving up to the first round to take an H back they could have gotten in the early third round...an H back...this clown can't block a butterfly...no wonder the Rat fans flock here...who can deal with THAT ratsanity?

How stupid are you?? Since the draft has been held in NY - (always) the Pats have always been booed there seeing as the Jets/Pats rivalry has always been a part of things.

Of course the Patriots are now hated.....we are winners and it is great to be hated.

Just as I used to boo the Cowboys and 49ers - that is how it works, boo the great one, the dynasty, the perennial champions. Funny, I never really hated the Bills, only pitied them. Enjoy your pitiful loser franchise troll boy.

Oh and let me close with your favorite two words - "Wide Right"

It's not for winning that you're hated--even though I'm a Bills fan, I loved those great Steeler and Raider teams from the '70s as a kid, for ex. Shoot, I even rooted for you guys the first time around. No, it's more than that--it's the perceived arrogance of your franchise, starting from the top (Bob Kraft waiving his SB ring under Vladimir Putin's nose comes to mind) down (all the way to some of your more enthusiastic fan brethren, particularly those of the frontrunner variety, who wouldn't know Andre Tippett from Andre 3000) actually. Like anything in life, you can't paint with too broad a brush, as there are some good folks here who take things in the spirit they're offered, but others who go out of their way to shout down anyone who disagrees with them, even if their difference is a reasonable one.

PS I also heard on the way out to dinner tonight an interview with Roger Goodell in which he said, and I quote, "I've said before that if there's anything new that Matt Walsh can tell me on the Patriots that is material I will punish them again and Walsh's lawyers tell me that they have new material that will be of interest to me." What that means we'll need to wait and see. In the meantime, enjoy the draft.

Last edited:
So, Robert Kraft is arrogant now because Putin took a Super Bowl ring that belonged to Kraft? :rolleyes:

We will have fun in May, troll. But not as much fun as we will have in February when BB hoists the Lombardi Trophy.

now you're embarassing yourself. the draft is held in NYC, where there happen to be lots of, you got it, Jets fans. they always boo the patriots, and we kind of like it.

the giants fans aren't as bad, historically because they have a lot more class than jets fans and this year because they did their talking in the Super Bowl, when it counted--something the Jets themselves haven't been able to do in, what?, almost 40 years now...not that we'd ever rub that in...

Last edited:
I don't know why there are over 80 posts debating something that has not changed since Matt Walsh's name came up so conveniently during SB weekend.

I have already stated more than once that nothing will come of this. There is no mystery tape, no secret that hasn't been told nor any revelation that will be uncovered. So how can anyone think otherwise? UNBELIEVEABLE!!! It's amazing how "Gossippy" some football fans can be!

Just like when the incredibly STUPID story about Randy Moss & the lady's pinky came out, fans here flocked to post their wild, unsubstantiated theories. I told everyone here several times that Randy did nothing wrong & nothing will come of it. So all-together now, tell me what happened?

NOTHING! That's what happened.

And the same thing will happen here. "If" there was anything to this, it would have come out...that's a fact. No one could have kept anything big under wraps this long and surely not the "I want my fame" guy Matt Walsh.

If anyone is seriously worried about this, you need your head examined thoroughly. Videogate is over...finit...done...time to move on.:rolleyes:

Thankfully the opinions of the other 31 teams fans have no relevance in this issue. Roger Goodell and the NFL need not satisfy their curiosity or their questions. I mean just look at some fans like the "Fanetic" who are consumed with this issue. They are wearing their hatred on their sleaves and Patsfans should just bask in it. After all, it is the ultimate compliment!

Last edited:
I move this crap gets it's own forum.

Oh and I also just thought that decreased jersey sales affects Reebok... one of the NFL's major sponsors.
Pissing off one of your biggest sponsors? Yup, you got it... another very bad business decision :nono:

That still is a matter of "influence" and I don't think that should factor into how the league handles indiscretions. It's not like we can say with a straight face, "you can't punish the Pats because jersey sales will be affected".

It's not for winning that you're hated--even though I'm a Bills fan, I loved those great Steeler and Raider teams from the '70s as a kid, for ex. Shoot, I even rooted for you guys the first time around. No, it's more than that--it's the perceived arrogance of your franchise, starting from the top (Bob Kraft waiving his SB ring under Vladimir Putin's nose comes to mind) down (all the way to some of your more enthusiastic fan brethren, particularly those of the frontrunner variety, who wouldn't know Andre Tippett from Andre 3000) actually. Like anything in life, you can't paint with too broad a brush, as there are some good folks here who take things in the spirit they're offered, but others who go out of their way to shout down anyone who disagrees with them, even if their difference is a reasonable one.

PS I also heard on the way out to dinner tonight an interview with Roger Goodell in which he said, and I quote, "I've said before that if there's anything new that Matt Walsh can tell me on the Patriots that is material I will punish them again and Walsh's lawyers tell me that they have new material that will be of interest to me." What that means we'll need to wait and see. In the meantime, enjoy the draft.

Fanetic, listen closely cause I'm only gonna say this once.

No matter what you hear, what you WANT to happen or what you think will happen regarding Matt Walsh info on the Patriots.

NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN THE PATRIOTS...NOTHING!

Just remember you heard that from PatriotsReign...got it punk?;)

Put a source on it... which network or station was he on where that quote occurred. Name the station, network and date and time that interview ran, please.

Is ANYONE happy the draft might not be in NYC next year? :D

This must be news to only you but the draft is held in NYC and filled with Jets and Giants fans.:eek:
Not that I'd stereotype New Yawkiz, but 'loud and brash' has been a term oft used to describe them. Given that both teams are Pats rivals in this metropolis of over 10 million fans, you'd expect accolades? Think for a minute how the small male equipment baseball fans in Boston react to the Yankees and reverse it. Or is this too deep for you?

Goodell should just but out, even if this did happen it was years before he was in charge. If he wants to go back in time and hold up the morals of the nfl, start by kicking out Lenard Little and Ray Lewis. Rodger is going to make the nfl worse, not better

Last edited:
after that, go take away picks from the cowboys because jim johnson said he was doing it. take picks from the 49ers who used to turn off other teams headsets. take picks away from the broncos because they violated the salary cap. Hell take away picks from the colts because it seems when they have big games at home, the other teams equipment just does not work....pats and chargers in 2007. just a witch hunt against the patriots, and the idiots and *******s in the media run with it. IF he wants to go back and punish teams for actions that happened before he was even the commishiner, he should do it for all the teams

after that, go take away picks from the cowboys because jim johnson said he was doing it. take picks from the 49ers who used to turn off other teams headsets. take picks away from the broncos because they violated the salary cap. Hell take away picks from the colts because it seems when they have big games at home, the other teams equipment just does not work....pats and chargers in 2007. just a witch hunt against the patriots, and the idiots and *******s in the media run with it. IF he wants to go back and punish teams for actions that happened before he was even the commishiner, he should do it for all the teams
That is actually a really good point, well told brother.

The one thing that Patriots fans know for certain and without an iota of doubt is that Goodell already punished the Patriot & BB far, far beyond what was reasonable & just.

That action alone has made an action that wasn't a big deal into something bigger than life. I seriously doubt Goodell's intellegence and political savvy.

From the Sports Guy's chat...

Tim (Jax, FL): From the TMQ column: "The Pats sent San Diego a third-round choice in order to bank the Bolts' second-rounder in 2009. True, Bill Belichick has banked choices before. But putting an extra high selection on ice for next April might be smart if you knew what was next in Spygate II, and feared another draft-choice forfeiture." You fearing another forfeiture for the Pats?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: I'm glad Easterbrook can get internet access in Roswell. Whoops, here comes another UFO!

The NY Times printed a transcript of Goodell's recent press conference, where he talks about Walsh. He stated clearly where things are in the process and cleared up some misconceptions, specifically that they don't know in advance what Walsh has to say. Thus, anyone reading into the agreement is off base.

There is the relevant section on Walsh:

ON MATT WALSH

RG: We’re just waiting to talk to Matt Walsh and we finally got an appointment on his schedule for May 13. So we’ll see him on May 13 and see what he has.

Q: If you read the agreement about ten times, it sounds like you sort of know what Matt Walsh has?

RG: No, they’ve not been required nor have they provided us with anything that they have. We’ve read what you have read in the newspapers and other individuals have said that he has evidence of walk-throughs and other things. We are anxious to see if that is the case, but we don’t have any indication if has or doesn’t have.

Q: Gregg Levy or Ray Anderson don’t have any indication?

RG: Ray Anderson has never been involved with it and it has just been Gregg and Mike Levy. They are supposed to submit it to us, I think, by the end of next week.

Q: Why have you and other league officials said multiple times since Super Bowl week that you have done your investigation and that everything is already out there. If you felt that there is nothing new to know, why did it take so long to come to an agreement with Walsh?

RG: You’ll have to ask Mr. Levy that. He’s the one who asked for the restrictions. They have been the ones asking for protection, while everyone else we have spoken to, which is well over 50 individuals, never asked for any conditions. He was free to speak and he could have spoken any time.

Q: You have said that all the transgressions are out there and you are comfortable that you know everything that has happened?

RG: No. I’ve never said that. No, I’ve said repeatedly from day one: if there is any new information, I reserve the right to go back and look at it. We have looked at every one of the rumors and there is nothing new factually, from day one, that has been supported by any evidence. When you reported about Matt Walsh is when I first really learned about him and we’ve been trying to determine what evidence he has. You seem to indicate that he has more information and that is what I want to know.

Q: What about the stipulation in the agreement that he not speak to any other third parties before he is interviewed with the NFL?

RG: That is because I would like to see what he has. As soon as I am done here I am walking out to a media press conference, and anything he has he can tell you.

Q: Why is it important that you know first?

RG: Because it is a violation of NFL rules. If what you reported is correct, that he has a walk-through, then I want to see that. If he has that, then I will be the first to be out there telling you. I don’t know that. You’ve reported it, so we’ll see. He has spoken to plenty of people out there; he just hasn’t spoken to us. So I would like for him to come in here and sit right across from me at this table. He asked for conditions, and we are trying to meet them, and we are doing things that we probably wouldn’t do in most cases. We certainly didn’t do them in the other 50 cases.

Q: Don’t most teams typically have dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of videos in their library?

RG: I don’t know the answer to that question. They frequently re-tape over them after a certain point in time because they become unimportant.

Q: And you watched six? Is that right?

RG: We watched everything they had in their video library with respect to illegal videotaping.

Q: According to them?

RG: Yes, as they testified, but they recycle tapes. At a certain point of time, it turns into notes and then they use it from their notes and not from the video.

Q: How far would you go in punishing a team, if they taped a walk-through or something you deemed so reprehensible?

RG: That’s a hypothetical question, which I can’t answer. Taping a walk-through is much different than what I punished them for. That is a different violation and I would take that very seriously. So, if they have that, then that is something that would cause me to reevaluate the discipline. However, they were not disciplined for that, but only for taping defensive signals, and that was the only violation we have any evidence of. We will find out what Mr. Walsh has in a couple of weeks, and then you will know and I will know.

Q: Back to Matt Walsh, you said you interviewed how many people? Fifteen or fifty?

RG: Fifty, over fifty.

Q: And Walsh was the only one who refused to cooperate? Is that right, he wouldn’t tell…

RG: I wouldn’t say refused to cooperate; he just asked for conditions.

Q: He was the only one?

RG: Yes.

Q: Did you interview other former Patriots videographers who are no longer in the league?

RG: Yes. Either no longer in the league or with other clubs.

Q: They all shared whatever they did without stipulations?

RG: That’s what they’ve told us, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back