PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: New tape would mean more punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fans DO NOT deserve more hurt and punishment.

This is one of those sobering situations where fans have to realize they are just fans and the "hurt" and "punishment" is purely subjective. Some fans let it roll off their back, some let it torture them. I know for one thing, the happiness of one team's fan base is absolutely not a league priority. So we will have to just bear with it and let it run its course. That's all we can do.

Sorry, although I don't believe a tape of the walkthrough exists, but if Walsh produces one then Belichick is screwed. I don't buy the "Walsh acted alone" defense will work. It definitely won't work in the court of public opinion outside of New England.

Short and to the point. You're 100% right. If the tape exists, BB is finished and the team will be lucky to hold onto the Lombardi. I just don't think there is a tape, though, but I'll be happy to find out for 100% sure.

This is one of those sobering situations where fans have to realize they are just fans and the "hurt" and "punishment" is purely subjective. Some fans let it roll off their back, some let it torture them. I know for one thing, the happiness of one team's fan base is absolutely not a league priority. So we will have to just bear with it and let it run its course. That's all we can do.

yep. what he said. :agree:

If you review Goodell's actions since day 1 of the rules violation, I have yet to see one time he did not choose to do things to either hurt the Pats or protect other teams. Either he is an incompetent who has managed to put together an amazing string of coincedences that always hurt the Pats or he is an incompetent with an agenda against the Pats.
To all you posters who think Goodell is just incompetent, please tell me what happened to the investigation he promised of the person who leaked the tapes. I am curious who was punished for leaking confidential material to Fox.LOL

The investigation is probably just still ongoing and he's probably negotiating with Fox who is probably demanding indemnification from any lies they might tell him about the lies they started in the first place!

If you haven't noticed Roger's investigations don't really seem to have a defined ending even if he says they have ended. :bricks:

I agree. I think Kraft would have no choice but to get rid of BB to save his team.

if a walkthrough tape exists, that will be the least of Kraft's problems and his easiest decision to make. he'll be more worried about the hits to his franchise's reputation and its impact on the value of his investment, as well as fending off dozens of frivolous law suits.

Let me make a slight correction to your statement about how Goodell works. If the Pats are the rules violator, the investigation and the punishment never ends and every liar and thief is believed. If anybody else is the violator like the Jets, the investigation is over before it starts and everybody is absolved. Just another lump under the rug.

I agree. I think Kraft would have no choice but to get rid of BB to save his team.

I agree. I just don't know if I could support the Patriots after that. I would become a fan of whatever team BB coached in Mark Cuban's league, though.

Seriously, though, he's got nothing. They would not have made numberous press releases saying there is nothing else to the story, ESPECIALLY this past week after the news came out that Falsh will talk.

Super post and perfectly articulated. Perhaps I am wrong about Goofdell not being out to get us afterall. Or it could just be that he's too stupid to understand where is bread is really buttered.

Thank you :)

Sorry fr how long it was, but I just needed to get that all off of my chest.

You have a very good point and I can see where you're coming from, in most respects.

That is why I clearly defined us as "customers" in this scenerio. There is no disputing that anyone who has ever bought a ticket to a game, anything with a team logo on it or subscribes to the NFL Network for that matter is a customer.
This is just pure business and a poor customer relations policy.

Being familiar with how franchises work, and assuming that an NFL franchise is no different, a teams profit directly affects the leagues profit through payment of royalties and profit sharing to small market teams. In this case one example would be the ability to sell 4 different verisons of TWO #1 picks is a greater revenue stream, as compared to only 1. Leaguewide, this means only 31 first round selection jerseys will be available for sale, and second round choices jerseys are dimished because the last player in round 2, now falls to the first of round 3. When was the last time you saw a third round draft picks jersey flying off of the shelves. This affects the smaller teams revenue by us not paying them as much in profit sharing from our lost jersey sales.

Not to mention.... the amount of money that rookie players selected from #32
on will lose. A #1 being paid like a #2, a #2 being paid like a #3... etc.
I am honestly shocked that the NFL Players Association has not stepped up to fight this.

So from a purely monetary standpoint, Goodell's "punishment" Screwed the Pats, the smaller market teams dependent on profit sharing, the league itself...due to a lost revenue stream and the players themselves.

Add those monetary reprecussions to all the other bad things that have come of this, and you have 1 very bad business decision, by 1 very bad business manager. Which, in all reality, Goodell is...... the business manager for the NFL

Last edited:
You have a very good point and I can see where you're coming from, in most respects.

That is why I clearly defined us as "customers" in this scenerio. There is no disputing that anyone who has ever bought a ticket to a game, anything with a team logo on it or subscribes to the NFL Network for that matter is a customer.
This is just pure business and a poor customer relations policy.

From a pure numbers perspective, it is better to appease 31/32 fanbases than 1/32. It sucks, I know.

From a pure numbers perspective, it is better to appease 31/32 fanbases than 1/32. It sucks, I know.

Thats not exactly true. Do you think other teams fans would quit being their fans because of the pats punishment? More likely, it would increase revenue becase when the pats are in town, other teams fans will pony up the dough and fill the stadium to see the pats get beaten (as if that is likely...lol)

Oh and I also just thought that decreased jersey sales affects Reebok... one of the NFL's major sponsors.
Pissing off one of your biggest sponsors? Yup, you got it... another very bad business decision :nono:

I think we both have good points.. both coming to the same conclusion.... This Sucks!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thats not exactly true. Do you think other teams fans would quit being their fans because of the pats punishment? More likely, it would increase revenue becase when the pats are in town, other teams fans will pony up the dough and fill the stadium to see the pats get beaten (as if that is likely...lol)

Oh and I also just thought that decreased jersey sales affects Reebok... one of the NFL's major sponsors.
Pissing off one of your biggest sponsors? Yup, you got it... another very bad business decision :nono:

I think we both have good points.. both coming to the same conclusion.... This Sucks!!!!!!!

Did you happen to catch the reaction to the Pats at the draft? Those boos were louder than even the 'Boys, which is an accomplishment--the Pats have now become the most hated team in the League. Darn right that fans from other teams will notice (have noticed?) if you get coddled or special treatment and it will affect the popularity of the sport, no matter what you might think. I frequent other boards and you are the subject of more than your share of negative discussions and don't have many defenders. If Spygate blows up, the chips will need to fall where they may....

Did you happen to catch the reaction to the Pats at the draft? Those boos were louder than even the 'Boys, which is an accomplishment--the Pats have now become the most hated team in the League. Darn right that fans from other teams will notice (have noticed?) if you get coddled or special treatment and it will affect the popularity of the sport, no matter what you might think. I frequent other boards and you are the subject of more than your share of negative discussions and don't have many defenders. If Spygate blows up, the chips will need to fall where they may....

What boards? you are mistaking me for someone else

and how is getting fined special treatment?

You basically just agreed with what I said. I said the pats would be hated on even more, and other fans would jump on the opportunity to go to games to see their team possibly beat the pats. This all affects the league financially. You just tried to slam me with absolutely no idea what i was talking about. I was having a respectful discussion with richpats. disagreeing doesn't mean arguing.

Unless you are referring to all pats fans and not just me when you said "you".. which would make you a troll. others have said that richpats is a troll. I have no proof of that and will speak respectfully with him until he proves otherwise.

and for the record I could give 2 pisses for what other teams fans think of us and the fact they don't support us. Do you honestly think that ANYBODY in this forum thinks that other teams may support us?
If you are one of those fans of another team who thinks that taping the signals was some HUGE offense, and that every team doesn't do it or something like it... what color is the sky in your world? If teams didn't steal signals then why would teams keep changing them or have several decoys sending false signals? This is something that is just a part of the game and you hear often players from years ago laughing about stealing playbooks. hiding in trees to see practice, sneaking onto the team busses. They laugh about it because its gamesmanship.

that rat Mangini knew this was our procedure and had all of 2006 to report what we were doing. But no, he waits until the pats knock him out of the playoffs, then kick theyre teeth in, on their home field before reporting it. That wreaks of a crybaby loser. He can't hang in the schoolyard so he goes and tells the teacher. If it was a big deal, why not report it right away when you get to the Jets, or even better.. when you are with this organization! If it was truly a wrong thing to do, then take the high road and refuse to be a part of it. being party to it and then telling on us later is having your cake and eating it too. (no Mangini fat joke) .

I am not so naive as to think I would not be pissed if it was another team that beat us regularly... I would be. As a fan, I would make a bigger deal out of it than it was too. But my argument was with the decision to take away a first rounder negatively impacted the league in terms of finance. I stand by that so argue your troll heart out if you want. But next time, please at least stay on topic

Last edited:

Hmmmmmm.... Remind in what city the NFL draft is held. Nuff ced?

Pardon us for not giving a **** what you think :rolleyes:

Ohhhh, the boos. wouldn't happen to be that they are in NY would it? Don't be stupid. Giants hate 'boys (read lots-o-boos), and the Jets hates the Patriots more (hence bigger boos).

Are you really judging spygate by the number of boos we're getting :confused:

Fanetic
Thanks for your revelation that the Jets fans hate the Pats. What are you going to tell us next, the sun will come up tomorrow morning.
Either you think we are idiots or you are one yourself with the stupidity of your posts.

obsessed,intergalactically jealous...and now completely hoodwinked into "Blair" Goatston, the one trick pony edge rusher at #6....no wonder he's here EVERY SINGLE DAY, blabbing on about the Patriots...after all, what is there to say after THAT 4-12 debacle of a season except "I hope things get better"...poor obsessed Rat fan....maybe he can star in a remake of that classic McQueen/Gleason movie, "Soldier In The Rain"...put a Rat fan twist on it and call it STOOL PIGEON IN THE RAIN

Pardon us for not giving a **** what you think :rolleyes:

Ohhhh, the boos. wouldn't happen to be that they are in NY would it? Don't be stupid. Giants hate 'boys (read lots-o-boos), and the Jets hates the Patriots more (hence bigger boos).

Are you really judging spygate by the number of boos we're getting :confused:

He's an idiot. I suspect he will not be seen after May 13th, when his schtick is worn out and Matt Walsh does his Geraldo revelation.

"The people in New York hate the Pats!" Wow man, with observation skills like that you shouldwork for the Bills and break defense coordinators signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back