PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: New tape would mean more punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

As I've come to expect from you in your roll as resident troll, your title does not match the article you linked - one which the rest of us read yesterday, btw. Nowhere does Goodell say "new tape would mean more punishment". That is just the way what he actually said is being spun. He has no idea what Walsh has, he has always contended that if THE PATRIOTS taped the Rams walkthrough that would be a whole other level of violation. He has also said as recently as the owners meetings that he has been unable to find any evidence to back up the contention that THE PATRIOTS in fact did tape a walkthrough. Any walkthrough, ever. And the indemnity agreement crafted for Mr. Walsh indicates that if he produces such a tape the owness will be on him to prove it was created within the scope of his employment duties.

So just so I understand the commissioner:

If one of us gets a low level job with the Jets, and then, on our own without authorization of the team, decide to sneak into another team's practice, make a video, and hand it over to Goodell, he'll severely punish the Jets?

Sounds like a plan! Who's up for helping dock the Jets their 2009 1st round draft pick!

That's quite the precedent Roger seems ready to set - we should make sure we use it to our advantage.

I'm just wondering if we'll also need to secretly and illegally tape a conversation with the Jets GM and get fired, and then lie about our professional experience and background before he'll consider one of us a "credible" source of information like Walsh.

your comments assume that this is a rational process and that people will give the patriots a chance to prove that any Walkthrough tape was "unauthorized" (and, i do not believe that such a tape exists). the patriots won't be given that chance, from Arlen Specter, to major sponsors to other owners, to the mediots, to the haters among the fans of other teams. if there is a tape of the walkthrough, an organization that, in the minds of most folks outside of this board and New England, has already been exposed, fined and punished for anti-competitive behavior will be given no chance to "explain." the game will be over for us.

How can he punish the Pats for not turning over a tape they didn't have to turn over?

And how can they prove that Walsh taped anything on the Pats behalf or by their say?

Nothing will come out of this. Its crazy.

How can he punish the Pats for not turning over a tape they didn't have to turn over?

And how can they prove that Walsh taped anything on the Pats behalf or by their say?

Nothing will come out of this. Its crazy.

How could he take away a first round pick for a violation of a rule that wasn't enforced for 20 years and isn't even in the NFL Rulebook?

He is a biased piece of crap with authority now to do what he wants.

i hope you are right.

Florio had something written about that months ago, saying that he heard that if Spygate breaks again, and there's another big deal, BB will spill his guts.

but i believe that was before they released the Matt Walsh b.s. days before the Superbowl. scumbags.

Maybe, just maybe what Walsh has will be damaging to the JETS and the rest of the NFL and not the Patriots at all.

How sweet would that be if Spector, TomASSe, Goodell, ESPN and all the haters of New England were totally duped by BB & the Patriots and this is one big fat set up all the way!!!

Man oh man would that take all......BB is a genius is he not? Maybe what I am suggesting is not so far fetched??

I do want to use it because even if we taped the walkthrough (which I don't think we did), I think we've been overpunished already given that "spying" on practices, etc, has be done and gone unpunished through the history of football.

AHHHHHHHHHH.......MEEEEEEENNNNNN!!!!!!! :singing:

The congregation can feel the spirit running through them for that sentiment :D

Last edited:
That disappoints me. We can point the finger all we want but in the end if our coach breaks the rules then he should be penalized. I don't like to see our coach penalized, but some responsibility has to be taken for infractions.

Rich.....respect your opinion....But the Pats HAVE been punished....their reputation, accomplishments have been dragged through the manure pile.......and we the fans have been constantly barraged with mediots and fans of other teams trying to erase this wonderful journey we have all been on this decade!!! BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH......BB was wrong to tape defensive coordinators signals.......he, and the Pats were punished for it.....Now LET's MOVE ON!!!! No need to keep opening the scab up over and over on the wound here and piling on salt.........IF the intention of the league is to DESTROY the New England Patriots and all but remove them from the NFL.....then letting this issue keep going on and on and on......with punishment and scarlet letters over and over.......will accomplish this.........If it goes on much longer.......the Pats will never recover from it.....and the "Asterisk" sh^t will always tarnish the tremendous things that they have accomplished....

All I am saying Rich is.....let's move on.......

Maybe, just maybe what Walsh has will be damaging to the JETS and the rest of the NFL and not the Patriots at all.

How sweet would that be if Spector, TomASSe, Goodell, ESPN and all the haters of New England were totally duped by BB & the Patriots and this is one big fat set up all the way!!!

Man oh man would that take all......BB is a genius is he not? Maybe what I am suggesting is not so far fetched??

wake up man....wake up.....great dream though ;) Sphincter and Walsh are in bed on this ..

Having the tape of the walk through is not enough IMO to penalize us further. He should have to prove that the team told him to film it. How do we know he didn't do it on his own since he is an avid collector of sports memorabilia? He allegedly stole the AV field goal kick to win the SB. I wouldn't put it past him to have wanted the walkthrough footage for his collection.

Sorry, although I don't believe a tape of the walkthrough exists, but if Walsh produces one then Belichick is screwed. I don't buy the "Walsh acted alone" defense will work. It definitely won't work in the court of public opinion outside of New England.

Rich.....respect your opinion....But the Pats HAVE been punished....their reputation, accomplishments have been dragged through the manure pile.......and we the fans have been constantly barraged with mediots and fans of other teams trying to erase this wonderful journey we have all been on this decade!!! BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH......BB was wrong to tape defensive coordinators signals.......he, and the Pats were punished for it.....Now LET's MOVE ON!!!! No need to keep opening the scab up over and over on the wound here and piling on salt.........IF the intention of the league is to DESTROY the New England Patriots and all but remove them from the NFL.....then letting this issue keep going on and on and on......with punishment and scarlet letters over and over.......will accomplish this.........If it goes on much longer.......the Pats will never recover from it.....and the "Asterisk" sh^t will always tarnish the tremendous things that they have accomplished....

All I am saying Rich is.....let's move on.......

The point is, if there is a walk-through tape or some other damaging evidence to the organization that goes beyond the taping of defensive signals, then the organization and us fans have to suck it up and face whatever is coming to us.

Nobody knows what Walsh has, so this can't be "moved on" from until it is out in the open. And as long as the league is willing to accept the contributions of former Pats employees, then the issue will go on, as much as we'd like to see it go away.

As for opposing fans and mediots, we'll have to deal with them until Belichick retires.

Goodell might be the biggest bag of douche ever.

That guy is in desperate need of an ass-kicking.

Having a Jets employee run the NFL is like if the Colts had their President run the Competition Committee.

oh wait.

yeah more and more i just want to stop watching this rigged bull**** game. But i can't give up on the Pats, regardless of how rigged and pathetic this league is.

100% dead on. Every time the NFL has a captive audience (SB, now the Draft w/e), El doucho takes another opportunity to "broadcast" how he will personally squeeze BB balls in vice if and when new evidence surfaces.

Hey d!ckweed, how bout you just shut the **** up and stop grandstanding until such time as that evidence has brought forward or is on your desk. Goodell is every bit to blame for propagating this insanity as the media is. He just has to hear himself spew this nonsense (none of which is new or revealing) every time someone points a camera at him. THE ONLY ANSWER he should be giving right now everytime someone asks him about spygate is; NOTHING NEW TO REPORT AT THIS TIME. Cuz that is exactly what the situation is.

Seriously, I'm with keegs...... I will continue to follow my beloved Patriots and watch every game (as I have for years), but more and more, I couldn't really give fart if the NFL itself goes down in a flaming pile of pooh.

/rant off

Last edited:
Sorry, although I don't believe a tape of the walkthrough exists, but if Walsh produces one then Belichick is screwed. I don't buy the "Walsh acted alone" defense will work. It definitely won't work in the court of public opinion outside of New England.

I agree. I think Kraft would have no choice but to get rid of BB to save his team.

I agree. I think Kraft would have no choice but to get rid of BB to save his team.

In the case that a walk-through tape did surface I would have to reluctantly agree with that. Misinterpreting rules is one thing, straight-out lying is another.

I will say this. If a legitimate tape exists of the walkthrough, then it would contradict what the Pats management has been saying and Belichick is in trouble for lying. I doubt that a legitmate tape exists but I would not put it past that liar and thief to come up with some amateurish tape and try to use it.
I will also say if Goodell tries to do anything against the Pats based on anything other than a legitimate tape, neither Kraft nor Belichick will take it lying down regardless of the opinion outside NE. Remember the people who put money in Kraft's pocket are not the idiots in the other cities but the NE fans who turn on Kraft if it appears he is letting Goodell destroy his team. I wouldn't worry about TV contracts since CBS is already partners with Kraft and love them or hate people turn in to see the Pats.

Take this also to the bank, Walsh will be prosecuted in Massachusetts. While the piece of crap may be a hero to the rest of the country, he is a criminal here.

It's funny.. I was in times square yesterday, and the big scrolling news updates on the espn building read "Goodell to Punish Pats" .. That's all it said.. And yesterday's DailyNews the headline to the story was "Goodell to Pounce on Pats" .. I hate New Yorkers..

The point is, if there is a walk-through tape or some other damaging evidence to the organization that goes beyond the taping of defensive signals, then the organization and us fans have to suck it up and face whatever is coming to us.

Nobody knows what Walsh has, so this can't be "moved on" from until it is out in the open. And as long as the league is willing to accept the contributions of former Pats employees, then the issue will go on, as much as we'd like to see it go away.

As for opposing fans and mediots, we'll have to deal with them until Belichick retires.

This is what i've had a problem with from the beginning. The fans DO NOT deserve more hurt and punishment.
My main disagreement with the punishment, is that taking a #1 draft pick penalizes the fans (in other words the NFL's customers) even more than it does the franchise. This is a business and the NFL shouldn't penalize its customers for fear of this kind of fallout. As a business maneuver, fines.. and as much as I would hate it, suspensions, are the only intelligent and justifiable penalties.
The NFL has worked hard to make the draft a big fan holiday, and basically want it to become the "NFL's Christmas".
So, Then why stick a lump of coal in the stockings of a group of fans, who are of one of the leagues largest and most loyal. :nono:
If you feel like making us scapegoats and penalizing the organization and coach in the form of fines and suspensions, then fine.
In my opinion, that, coupled with the loss of our reputation was more than enough punishment.

As proof to support that it does not hurt BB (the offender) as much as fans, What would have happened if he retired right after we lost the pick, or retires if we lose another #1 pick? then basically its not him getting punished. It's the fans and the next coach!

Through his actions, Goodell hurt the fans and the players most with what he has put us through. The organization honestly got off the lightest with just financial ramifications. The players will forever have their hard work and accomplishments demeaned, over something they had nothing to do with. Imagine someday Tedy Bruschi's kids (or any other players kids) being told by classmates that their father cheated and didn't deserve his superbowl wins. This may be reaching a bit, but anyone who was once a kid knows this will more than likely happen, among other things.

Let me also mention that this team is a great asset to the league for not only building a respectable model of a franchise that all others are now following, but also that we set a pecedent at our own potential peril, of putting our resources into players who were first and foremost good people.
The team has not whined and asked for anything from the league.
What also goes unnoticed is that the Kraft family constructed a new stadium that is one of the leagues gems, without holding the league over a barrel and demanding a superbowl or other large league function be held here.

Not that the preceding paragraph was very important to this matter, but I think it is worth noting.

Last edited:
This is what i've had a problem with from the beginning. The fans DO NOT deserve more hurt and punishment.
My main disagreement with the punishment, is that taking a #1 draft pick penalizes the fans (in other words the NFL's customers) even more than it does the franchise. This is a business and the NFL shouldn't penalize its customers for fear of this kind of fallout. As a business maneuver, fines.. and as much as I would hate it, suspensions, are the only intelligent and justifiable penalties.
The NFL has worked hard to make the draft a big fan holiday, and basically want it to become the "NFL's Christmas".
So, Then why stick a lump of coal in the stockings of a group of fans, who are of one of the leagues largest and most loyal. :nono:
If you feel like making us scapegoats and penalizing the organization and coach in the form of fines and suspensions, then fine.
In my opinion, that, coupled with the loss of our reputation was more than enough punishment.

As proof to support that it does not hurt BB (the offender) as much as fans, What would have happened if he retired right after we lost the pick, or retires if we lose another #1 pick? then basically its not him getting punished. It's the fans and the next coach!

Through his actions, Goodell hurt the fans and the players most with what he has put us through. The organization honestly got off the lightest with just financial ramifications. The players will forever have their hard work and accomplishments demeaned, over something they had nothing to do with. Imagine someday Tedy Bruschi's kids (or any other players kids) being told by classmates that their father cheated and didn't deserve his superbowl wins. This may be reaching a bit, but anyone who was once a kid knows this will more than likely happen, among other things.

Let me also mention that this team is a great asset to the league for not only building a respectable model of a franchise that all others are now following, but also that we set a pecedent at our own potential peril, of putting our resources into players who were first and foremost good people.
The team has not whined and asked for anything from the league.
What also goes unnoticed is that the Kraft family constructed a new stadium that is one of the leagues gems, without holding the league over a barrel and demanding a superbowl or other large league function be held here.

Not that the preceding paragraph was very important to this matter, but I think it is worth noting.

Super post and perfectly articulated. Perhaps I am wrong about Goofdell not being out to get us afterall. Or it could just be that he's too stupid to understand where is bread is really buttered.

If you review Goodell's actions since day 1 of the rules violation, I have yet to see one time he did not choose to do things to either hurt the Pats or protect other teams. Either he is an incompetent who has managed to put together an amazing string of coincedences that always hurt the Pats or he is an incompetent with an agenda against the Pats.
To all you posters who think Goodell is just incompetent, please tell me what happened to the investigation he promised of the person who leaked the tapes. I am curious who was punished for leaking confidential material to Fox.LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes