PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: New tape would mean more punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell is totally inept. He is more concerned with looking like a tough guy then protecting the integrity of the league. Here he has an opportunity to describe just how detailed an investigation they did, and doesn't. He references the "rumors" of a walk-through tape and there by gives it credibility when he should give it none. His most detailed answers are all about punishment and rules violations. There were plenty of opportunities in there for him to show some support for one of his fanchises but never does so.

Goodell is totally inept. He is more concerned with looking like a tough guy then protecting the integrity of the league. Here he has an opportunity to describe just how detailed an investigation they did, and doesn't. He references the "rumors" of a walk-through tape and there by gives it credibility when he should give it none. His most detailed answers are all about punishment and rules violations. There were plenty of opportunities in there for him to show some support for one of his fanchises but never does so.

Totally inept leadership from the start.

Never would have happened with Tagliabue.

This guy has turned a minor rule violation into a totally overblown farce and he has no way out.

Roger, please stop talking, just stop.

Goodell is a prime example of the Peter Principle, according to which someone in an institution or a government ultimately rises up to a job at which s/he is incompetent.

Goodell was an extremely effective Counsel for the NFL. He had also carefully cultivated his relationships with the Owners over the years. When Tagliabue stepped down, the Owners turned to Goodell as a comfortable and trustworthy fit for a job that was generally viewed as having been handled quite well by his predecessor, following in the footsteps of giants like Rozelle and Bell. My problem with Goodell is not in What he did (unlike many out here, I thought that his resolution of the original Spygage crisis was heavy-handed but fair, thwarting as it did the frenzied calls by many for a Belichick Suspension or Game Forfeit). My problem, which has become more and more critical, is in How he has lost control of the story since February, allowing the Patriots and their Management and Owners to suffer a death by a thousand cuts.

Lawyers do not, however, always make the best Chief Executives, as Citigroup discovered from the abysmal performance of Chuck Prince. If the Walsh circus and a potential (even likely) collapse of the CBA this year inflict any more damage on the League, I think you will find the owners either quickly replacing Goodell or bringing in another person in a "Senior Advisor" capacity to fix the damage.

The irony, of course, in all of this is that the Owner who will have the greatest impact on the fate of the CBA is Bob Kraft, who saved it last time but who is not likely to be so inclined after suffering the consequences of Goodell's ineptitude.

Last edited:
The irony, of course, in all of this is that the Owner who will have the greatest impact on the fate of the CBA is Bob Kraft, who saved it last time but who is not likely to be so inclined after suffering the consequences of Goodell's ineptitude.
Kraft . . . and also Belichick likely won't be so amenable this time.

I don't expect any more punishment but if he tries to take away picks for something that may have happened 7 years ago, we need to go back and retroactively start punishing teams for stuff they've done since the beginning of time.

Kraft . . . and also Belichick likely won't be so amenable this time.

I don't expect any more punishment but if he tries to take away picks for something that may have happened 7 years ago, we need to go back and retroactively start punishing teams for stuff they've done since the beginning of time.

And, let's not forget, if we take everything that's been said about this walk-through at face value--supposedly having this information still didn't help them, since the Rams did score a TD the one and only time they got into the red zone.

Put a source on it... which network or station was he on where that quote occurred. Name the station, network and date and time that interview ran, please.

Sorry, been away for a bit until last night--it was either ESPN Radio 1050 or WFAN 660 both in NYC (ESPN, I believe, but I go back and forth between the two while driving) at approx. 6:50 pm last Saturday night. The hosts had him on right after he'd finished up the first round of the draft....

And, let's not forget, if we take everything that's been said about this walk-through at face value--supposedly having this information still didn't help them, since the Rams did score a TD the one and only time they got into the red zone.

the bottom line is that if Walsh has a tape of that Walkthrough (and, for the millionth time, I do NOT think such a tape exists), then it won't matter if ************ himself had come down from the heavens, put on a Pats uniform that day and personally kept the Rams from scoring in the Red Zone...it won't matter if the Dalai Lama, Pope Benedict, the Chief Rabbi of Israel and a resurrected Mahatma Gandhi all stand up before the world and swear that the tape was "unauthorized"... the Franchise will be toast...burned, charred, inedible, crumbling toast

Last edited:
Sorry, been away for a bit until last night--it was either ESPN Radio 1050 or WFAN 660 both in NYC (ESPN, I believe, but I go back and forth between the two while driving) at approx. 6:50 pm last Saturday night. The hosts had him on right after he'd finished up the first round of the draft....

The podcast is on this page. I didn't hear him say anything about Walsh's lawyers saying anything about new evidence. He said broadly that Walsh has evidence and based on he above transcript, I think you can reasonable refer to what he has said to the media.

http://www.wfan.com/pages/744503.php

The podcast is on this page. I didn't hear him say anything about Walsh's lawyers saying anything about new evidence. He said broadly that Walsh has evidence and based on he above transcript, I think you can reasonable refer to what he has said to the media.

So in other words, nobody has confirmed there's NEW evidence. That's interesting, didn't FootballFanatic say he hear Goodell specifically say there was new evidence ? That dosen't make sense unless someone's lying, has this transcript been confirmed ?

So in other words, nobody has confirmed there's NEW evidence. That's interesting, didn't FootballFanatic say he hear Goodell specifically say there was new evidence ? That dosen't make sense unless someone's lying, has this transcript been confirmed ?

The transcript was from Goodell's pre-draft post conference; the podcast is from after the first round. . . .

The transcript was from Goodell's pre-draft post conference; the podcast is from after the first round. . . .

I was kidding about questioning the transcript !

So in other words, nobody has confirmed there's NEW evidence. That's interesting, didn't FootballFanatic say he hear Goodell specifically say there was new evidence ? That dosen't make sense unless someone's lying

Bingo. Fanetic is embellishing because I heard the exact same interview and he didn't actually say that.

The NY Times printed a transcript of Goodell's recent press conference, He stated clearly where things are in the process and cleared up some misconceptions, specifically that they don't know in advance what Walsh has to say. Thus, anyone reading into the agreement is off base.

I still wonder about that due to the following:

RG: That is because I would like to see what he has. As soon as I am done here I am walking out to a media press conference, and anything he has he can tell you.

Goodell also said on Dan Patrick Show that he will hold a press conference immediately after meeting with Walsh. Immediately? I find it odd that Goodell would know nothing about what's being presented and commit to a press conference right after the presentation.

Maybe he hasn't heard directly from Walsh's people, but I'm thinking he knows what's coming through other channels.

Which begs the question of why go through all this if Walsh is only going to present defensive coach signal taping?

Here's one theory: Walsh is going to talk about other things or present taped private conversations, or just other heresay.

In the end, Walsh will have no "proof" which will give Goodell cover. He'll say there have been a many reports of teams doing x, y and z. Something like, "In this case as with others, there has no proof and that is why I've asked the NFL for more power in dishing out punishments with lesser standards of proof."

Last edited:
This quote from Goodell caught my attention:

We’re just waiting to talk to Matt Walsh and we finally got an appointment on his schedule for May 13.

I hope he had a lighthearted tone when he mentioned about "finally" getting on Walsh's schedule.

If he was completely serious, I'd have to wonder who's the assistant golf pro and who's the commissioner of one of the most popular and successful sports leagues in the country in this relationship.

I don't pay attentioin to anything uttered by that cat's paw Jetdell...he's an EMBARASSMENT

sry to say that, but goodell is an absolutly ny dumb a.. !!!!!

Goodell also said on Dan Patrick Show that he will hold a press conference immediately after meeting with Walsh. Immediately? I find it odd that Goodell would know nothing about what's being presented and commit to a press conference right after the presentation.

Further illustration of Goody's incompetence as CEO. It's all about him in his eyes. HE will make the ruling. HE will be the tough guy. HE will lead the league. Goodell does not realize that using his authority as an unthinking blunt instrument will be counterproductive to his oh-so-desired legacy as a tough commish.

Any reasoning being would allow himself some modicum of time to asses whatever info Walsh brings, even if it's a null set of unsubstantiated claims. Spend some time to reflect on the information, put it in context and actually THINK about whatever effect his usually ill-considered choice of words will have on the multi-billion dollar business that is the NFL. But not Goodell. No, he'll meet with Walsh and then rush precipitously to the cameras without forethought. What a maroon.

Many thanks, but that wasn't the interview I heard last weekend--must have been ESPN radio then. And to address the post above, I didn't say that Goodell said there was new evidence. What Goodell said was that if there is new incriminating evidence I haven't seen yet then I will punish them again and he went on to say that Walsh's lawyers have indicated in discussions that they have new evidence. Whether that's correct we'll have to wait until May 13 to see about.

Many thanks, but that wasn't the interview I heard last weekend--must have been ESPN radio then. And to address the post above, I didn't say that Goodell said there was new evidence. What Goodell said was that if there is new incriminating evidence I haven't seen yet then I will punish them again and he went on to say that Walsh's lawyers have indicated in discussions that they have new evidence. Whether that's correct we'll have to wait until May 13 to see about.

And of course you're hoping upon hope that there is NO NEW EVIDENCE...right Fanetic?:rolleyes:

Seriously, WHAT do YOU hope will happen? Share with us our sad Bills fan from Tonawanda or some other God foresaken place near Buffalo.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it (possible, as I've been busy lately), I'm surprised more folks arent' talking about this:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/25/so-what-does-walsh-have/

"And while no one knows what Walsh knows (or thinks he knows), some league insiders firmly believe that he has something, and some believe that it will be enough to cause real problems for the Pats and for Belichick."

According to Florio, sounds like some folks in the know believe that (a) Walsh doesn't have that SB walkthrough, but (b) does have other things that will get BB and the Pats in trouble. I'll go on the record right now as saying that I personally don't think it's a big deal if it's just the listed statement re: using players on IR. That merits a fine and little else. The Players Union may be the ones most irked about that, as that rule is largely to protect the players I'd imagine. If it's worse than that, then we'll need to see what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes