PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: I am embarrased by this loss edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a healthy defense with everyone back is going to help. A lot.

• This was a pathetic effort by everyone. No one is excused from this loss. The Pats were out coached, out played, and out classed today.
  • I am not one to jump on McDaniels (in fact I defend him more than most), but I don't get his offensive strategy this entire month. Either they go with the three and out overly conservative offense or the three and out huck the ball down the field offense. What happened to spreading them out and go to the short quick passes. And before people say it isn't working, it is because they aren't trying it.
  • I hate that Belichick is coaching scared down the stretch. He might as well were a cut off hoodie that reads "My offense sucks and I don't trust them". I know that the offense is struggling quite a bit, but he is shattering their confidence consistently showing that he doesn't trust them at all.
  • That said, this offensive line is awful right now. There is a serious lack of communication, but the play is awful.
  • I still don't get why they don't get White more involved in the offense. It seems they wait until the Pats are in a hole and need to dig themselves out of it before they even put the guy on the field. When he gets the ball in his hands, he makes plays.
  • They need to move Gronk around more in motion. He is getting too much attention and could benefit from more motion. I know that he has had to stay in and block has been a big factor in that.'
  • With the strategy they came into the game, they should have sat Brady and others. They were never going to win with the strategy of trying to win 2-0 because they had no intention of scoring points on offense going into the game. I have no problem with the loss, but I have a problem with how they lost.
  • I am concerned about Brady's ankle. He was never right after that injury. If it is a lingering injury, it could cost the Pats their playoff chances.
  • Hightower really needs to get better. I swear he is the true MVP of the defense. When he isn't in there, the defense is not nearly as good.
  • All that said, a new season starts next week. The Pats can turn it all around with a bit of health in two weeks. Get an Edelman back at anywhere over 80% and a return of Vollmer and Amendola more healthy and this offense can flip a switch and be dominant again. Same on the defensive side with the return of Hightower and Jones.
  • After how we see things shake out today, the #2 seed may not be so bad. I expect both Wild Card teams winning next week. That means that KC would come to New England and Pittsburgh traveling to Denver. That may mean the Pats will be hosting the AFC Championship game anyway.
I was heartened by the game the Patriots have played the last few weeks. They fought hard, didn't quit when playing their 3rd and 4th stringers against an opponent's #1s.

It used to be said "Its not whether you win or lose but rather how you played the game.". Some Chicken Littles have never learned that.

The Pas are battered but never gave up, neither coaches nor players. No one blew them out as would be expected. Meanwhile they have given lots of experience to some youngsters that will help in the future.

People forget quickly how well thsee rookies played this year. They forget how deadly the short passing game can be, when smurf WRs who can gain YAC, can play.

I was heartened by the game the Patriots have played the last few weeks. They fought hard, didn't quit when playing their 3rd and 4th stringers against an opponent's #1s.

It used to be said "Its not whether you win or lose but rather how you played the game.". Some Chicken Littles have never learned that.

The Pas are battered but never gave up, neither coaches nor players. No one blew them out as would be expected. Meanwhile they have given lots of experience to some youngsters that will help in the future.

People forget quickly how well thsee rookies played this year. They forget how deadly the short passing game can be, when smurf WRs who can gain YAC, can play.

They fought hard yesterday? I think they followed the coach's lead and came into the game flat. I didn't see any fight yesterday. Previous weeks, yes. Yesterday, no.

And you expected a Dolphins team that got beaten by Charlie Whitehurst a week earlier to blow out the Patriots?

And who is a Chicken Little? I think the Pats are still the favorite to go to the Super Bowl if Edelman and others come back healthy. I am looking at this game in a vacuum and not stating that is a statement of their playoff run.

Once again someone responding to my post without actually reading it. Read my last two bullet point again.

Last edited:
God, there is so much stuff here that I disagree with..

Nobody got outcoached in this game. We were playing conservatively from the very first snap until the end. Conservatively means mostly minimizing injury risks. And even playing like that resulted in Brady getting hit again and again.

You make it sound like we had a screwup in the gameplan when the gameplan was keep the game close and minimize risks. Maybe you should just adjust your expectations about how important the #1 seed is for BB.

So let me get this straight. We score 28 against the Eagles in a game that we lost because of ST screwups, 27 against the Texans, 33 against the Titans which secured us a BYE. All of this was done with missing key pieces on the offense. Then in the last two games where our injuries pile up even more we go conservative and suddenly its the entire month that didnt work.

You are assuming that McDaniels didn't think of spreading it out or using our patented quick game when in reality it looks like the coaching staff made a conscious decision to play health over anything else.

He didn't just castrate the offense but at the same time also started to play totally vanilla defense if you haven't noticed. He is not playing scared offense, he is playing essentially preseason football all over the board. You can't telegraph intentions more than that. As I have said multiple times this week, you can disagree philosophically with that approach but don't say that this is cluelessness or arrogance, because it is not.

Again, they are not risking his health with risky routes/calls. He hasn't gotten more than maybe 1-2 seam routes the last three weeks. He is mostly blocking and is getting some low risk sideline stuff. Again, it is pretty obvious that they are holding back on purpose.

No you don't do that. For the most part they did it right with minimizing risk, while still trying to keep the game close. There can always be a blown coverage or turnovers that give you a short field and you really want to have your QB out there to take advantage.

What you definitely don't do is run your normal stuff with only 38-39 healthy players and an unstable OL.

In the end losing against the Jets and Dolphins suck but there were no more serious injuries. We know the potential that team has and have to be patient and see if they can play up to that when we get reinforcements in two weeks.

I wish I had the time or patience to refute these idiots the way you did in this post !!!!

Yes, I am saying that they should have spread it out and done the short quick passing. It would have saved Brady from the beating he took in the second half. My point it was the best option over the stupidity they did in the second half.
I think they wouldve gone 3 and out very quickly if they did that. Just a personal opinion. Cant run your staple plays with backups and expect it to work the same way.

They fought hard yesterday? I think they followed the coach's lead and came into the game flat. I didn't see any fight yesterday. Previous weeks, yes. Yesterday, no.

They set out to lose no more players to injury. They set out to give the young Oline combos some experience rushing and blocking for Jackson. Both Missions accomplished.

They set out to see if the remaining receivers had anything more to offer... By and large they confirmed Martin doesn't have the ability to gain enough YAC; La Fells can do Ok, only as the 3d option, and White is developing into a fine 3rd down receiving back. Mission mostly accomplished.

BB set out to see if the Defense could still produce with more then a handful of starters missing. Mission accomplished.

There are Strategic defeats and Phyrric victories, BB confirmed that he knows the difference.

I think they wouldve gone 3 and out very quickly if they did that. Just a personal opinion. Cant run your staple plays with backups and expect it to work the same way.

Oppose to the way they went 3 and out four times and four and out (they lost the ball on downs) on another drive in 11 drives yesterday? They also had four other drives where they were forced to punt after 6 or less plays. What they were doing were forcing the Pats to go three and out anyway.

The LACK OF effort fire, and LEADERSHIP (even from Brady).....was ALARMING and disheartening....(Did any of them get fcking pissed off at being embarrassed and b!tch slapped by a team like....Miami?!?

You can have injuries....but to totally GIVE UP MENTALLY and physically during one a PIVOTAL game.....is really sad and speaks volumes about the team and its coaches...Two words came to mind after watching today......FLAT.....and QUITTERS.....

My two words for thsi post come to mind too.

Ignorant and Uninformed.

They set out to lose no more players to injury. They set out to give the young Oline combos some experience rushing and blocking for Jackson. Both Missions accomplished.

They set out to see if the remaining receivers had anything more to offer... By and large they confirmed Martin doesn't have the ability to gain enough YAC; La Fells can do Ok, only as the 3d option, and White is developing into a fine 3rd down receiving back. Mission mostly accomplished.

BB set out to see if the Defense could still produce with more then a handful of starters missing. Mission accomplished.

There are Strategic defeats and Phyrric victories, BB confirmed that he knows the difference.

Brady has an ankle sprain and bruised ribs. Chung got hurt again. Mission accomplished.

And making Brady hold onto the ball for 4-5 seconds chucking the ball down the field was not playing to minimize injuries.

And for the last time. If you are playing to minimize injuries and having Brady handing off the ball all game and Gronk play as a blocker, sit them. That is the only way to minimize injuries.

If McD using three trick plays in a row is not a sign of desperation then I dont know what is. Also all trick plays happened on one single drive so its not like we were trying them consistently throughout the game.

The zone part is true but how many disguises, stunts or other exotic DL packages did you see in the last two games?

Thats where we will make our money during the playoffs.

Strategically its only more time wasted by Opponents DCs. Win Win...

No unfortunately there is NOT...

No there isn't back up at every position, but I would have rested guys less than 100% like Nink, McCourty, Amendola, and Chung (all had back ups) and Brady and Gronk. It would have left the Pats very thin and not a lot of talent, but it would have protected injured and key players. The Pats weren't going to win with the game plan they went into the game with anyway.

Luuked must be on the payroll because you are disagreeing with anyone who thinks the Pats mailed it in yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oppose to the way they went 3 and out four times and four and out (they lost the ball on downs) on another drive in 11 drives yesterday? They also had four other drives where they were forced to punt after 6 or less plays. What they were doing were forcing the Pats to go three and out anyway.
wouldve got brady hit more, brady wouldve probably misfired with guys not getting open resulting in picks and ending the the game sooner than prolonging ? I dont know. I dont think JMcD would stop doing this unless there was a reason. They were doing flea flickers in the previous game. They probably know what the current staff can do or not do than we do.

wouldve got brady hit more, brady wouldve probably misfired with guys not getting open resulting in picks and ending the the game sooner than prolonging ? I dont know. I dont think JMcD would stop doing this unless there was a reason. They were doing flea flickers in the previous game. They probably know what the current staff can do or not do than we do.

More than Brady sitting in the pocket for 4-5 seconds as his receivers running 30 yards down the field?

Again, the only logical options were to either play to win or sit Brady. The Pats did neither.

More than Brady sitting in the pocket for 4-5 seconds as his receivers running 30 yards down the field?

Again, the only logical options were to either play to win or sit Brady. The Pats did neither.
Look, I am sure they had something in mind. Iam willing to give them the benefit of doubt. They have high standards among fans so everyone wants them to be perfect and not make mistakes. They make their share .But they tried to do things their way and it didnt work. I am not questioning all their motives without knowing all the inside info about health,backup or whatever was the idea.Its one game. Its time to move on. If they play like this in the playoffs then lets see.

Look, I am sure they had something in mind. Iam willing to give them the benefit of doubt. They have high standards among fans so everyone wants them to be perfect and not make mistakes. They make their share .But they tried to do things their way and it didnt work. I am not questioning all their motives without knowing all the inside info about health,backup or whatever was the idea.Its one game. Its time to move on. If they play like this in the playoffs then lets see.

I don't think there is a chance they play like they did yesterday in the playoffs. That said, I totally question them for yesterday.

Why? Because it accurately describes a group of so-called fans who have decided to ignore reality and think the worst of this team despite everything they've over-come? Sorry, that's not a reason to be embarrassed.
No because it is seriously stupid and dorky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes