PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine is still mildly pissed at me because at halftime during the AFC Championship game last year, I said that the Pats were going to the Super Bowl. Of course we know how that turned out.

And yet I still refuse to take any blame for it, the Pats lost because the Colts played better than them in the second half, not because of what I said.

IT WAS YOU!!!! haha j/k

My routine (when their on here in AZ) Pats hat, Johnny walker each quarter and a glass of Macallan 18 yr after they win.

We give the dog a treat after every score or defensive turnover.

A friend of mine is still mildly pissed at me because at halftime during the AFC Championship game last year, I said that the Pats were going to the Super Bowl. Of course we know how that turned out.

And yet I still refuse to take any blame for it, the Pats lost because the Colts played better than them in the second half, not because of what I said.

My brother lives in SoCal and announced to everyone at the very crowded bar he was at that it was over at halftime.

I hate my brother.:mad:

He is not allowed to speak anymore during games.

Depends. Away games I wear my Brady white jeresey. Home games I wore my blue Colvin jersey but he got hurt so I moved to the blue Vrabel jersey. I usually dont shower unless I have to do something that day on Sundays, but Saturdays I do because I have a bowling league in the morning. I usually just wear PJS with my jersey and my Pats rebok mesh hat thingy.

My conundrum:

Wife and daughter got me a Brady authentic for Xmas. Dare I wear it and retire the SB champs Tshirt I've worn all season :confused: :confused:

I really want to wear jersey, but I don't want to create a tear in the universe :eek:

At present, the closest thing for me to a superstition is to be sure to put together a "voodoo doll" for each SB. Since I even made Pats-logo pins for the first one, I thought it was funny-as-hell coincidence that BB was given an eerily similar one at the same time, now a prized possession...

Last edited:
being in sd, i like to wear my blue #55 pats seau jersey and rub it into charger fans faces and remind them how rodney and junior had to go to the pats to compete for a ring. the jersey will remain unwashed until we lose, which may be never.

I'm almost as superstious as Bill Parcells. For instance if the bathroom light is on when the Pats are doing good it stays on. Nothing changes as long as their doing well. But there are two standard rituals that I go through before every game. One involves my wife which I can go into,the other invoves a pair of shoes. During a close game last year in which we fell behind, she came walking in to the living room with a pair of very noisey thick heeled shoes. The moment she did that the Pats intercepted a pass,and ran it back for a score.The momentom of the game swung in the Pats favour. I had her take her shoes off and placed them on top of the tv faceing the opposite direction. WE won. So when ever it gets desperate the shoes come out and on top of the tv. :D :eek:

Although I know my rituals will not determine the out come of the game it still makes me feel like i've done my part in helping them win, in some small way.

Last edited:
I assume that Superbowl day superstitions will be in another thread in a month.

My only game day superstition is that, if the Pats are losing in the fourth quarter, my wife, who typically doesn't watch football on the tube, will come in and sit down next to me until the Patriots win.

You may laugh, but this has worked three times this year already. during the Indy, Eagles and Ravens games, we were behind in the Fourth Q. Each game, she came in, she sat down, we won the games. I got her a Hoodie for Christmas!!!

I refuse to be one of those fans, and here's why:

There are millions of fans, all with their own superstitions. Unless I'm the only "real" person here, and everyone else is just a simulation or a dream (which I admit is a distinct philosophical possibility), why should my behavior affect the outcome any more or less than somebody else's?

I'll bet you were the first kid to tell the other kids that Santa Claus didn't exist! Bah.

BTW, there is some evidence of the power of collective thought and will directed at a cause or person, though I'm not sure I buy it...but you never know...

Both fan bases use ritualistic behavior in the beliefe that it will help their team win. I think its analagous to both sides claiming GOD is on their side,and will help their team prevail.

At one time, I used to wear an old Drew Bledsoe jersey that I had gotten when he was first drafted. I never washed it from 1995 to the 2004 playoffs when my wife grabbed it an put it in the wash. I only had broken it out for big games and it was reeking of sweat, a beer bath from 2001 and God knows what else.

I'll bet you were the first kid to tell the other kids that Santa Claus didn't exist! Bah.
I come from the atheist former Soviet Union, there was no Santa Claus, only Father Lenin.

BTW, there is some evidence of the power of collective thought and will directed at a cause or person, though I'm not sure I buy it...but you never know...
And lots of evidence against the power of collective thought. In any case, I have a fairly scientific worldview, and vague evidence of inexplicable action-at-a-distance (quantum entanglement notwithstanding) doesn't cut it for me.

I wear my #12 Black and White Patriots Jersey. My wife and daughter wear theirs as well. This has not changed for the past few years, but on opening day this year my wife came home with a 12 pack with a Patriots balloon floating above it. The balloon faded quickly, but I have refused to throw it away until the our boys lose a game. This has sparked much debate in a our house, especially when the cleaners almost threw it away.

My conundrum:

Wife and daughter got me a Brady authentic for Xmas. Dare I wear it and retire the SB champs Tshirt I've worn all season :confused: :confused:

I really want to wear jersey, but I don't want to create a tear in the universe :eek:
Wear the new jersey next season. No hurry, and don't change in the middle of a season. Go with what works.

Last edited:
My brother clicks open his beer precisely when the ball is kicked off to start every patriots game. He never misses it.

I didn't have an superstitions before that game vs Indy, when BB didn't wear his hoodie (probably because he figured Polian would set the termostat at 84 again). Things were not looking good for us, so my buddy and I put the hoods up on our sweatshirts. As soon as we did this, the momentum shifted and the Patriots looked like they would win. Then his wife came into the room to watch (no hoodie) and the colts were rallying. He told his wife to GET OUT or put a hood on... in fact, don't even let the cat in here unless it is wearing a hood. She went and out... I figured she wasn't coming back. Two more good plays by the Colts. She came back wearing an actual BB hoodie (I haven't shelled out the $ for one yet). Next play... interception by the Pats.

I'm now a believer. If BB fails to wear the hoodie ever again, you can put money that somewhere I am wearing a hood watching the game.

Last edited:
I have several, most of which are dumb, but it is fun to do, even though logically it doesn't really affect the game. One thing that I've started to do this year is wear a different shirt each week. I have over 25 different shirts and t-shirts so it is pretty easy for me to do. About halfway through the season I told my wife that I won't wear the same shirt twice in a season until they lose.

So i have come to the conclussion that everyone keep doing what you are doing!! DO NOT CHANGE A THING!!! If you are not superstitious and haven't been doing anything, then don't start now, you may throw off the perfect Patriots balance. I'm not superstitious or anything, but just in case....ok? :D

I pray. Some think faith is a form of superstition. I seldom if ever pray for the Patriots, but have in the past. In 2001, I prayed before every game after the Rams regular season loss.

I refuse to be one of those fans, and here's why:

There are millions of fans, all with their own superstitions. Unless I'm the only "real" person here, and everyone else is just a simulation or a dream (which I admit is a distinct philosophical possibility), why should my behavior affect the outcome any more or less than somebody else's?
That is why it is called superstition. We don't need your 'logical analysis'.

I'm sure you are one of those guys who tells the kids that there is no Santa.:mad:

Looks like some beat me to it.

I keep changing places. I had to watch almost the entire 4th quarter of the Colts game from the balcony... in the cold...shivering...my behind frozen solid. Johnny Walker would have helped, but was afraid that would ruin it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes