Welcome to PatsFans.com

Game Day Superstitions

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Snake, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake

Snake Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What game day superstitions do you folks embrace?

This year I have worn the same clothes "practically" throughout the season...adding layers as each game passed to compensate for the brutal winter cold we suffer here in southern California.

Since the Cowboys game I have worn the same outfit...nothing has been washed except the socks and underwear...I lost track of them at some point.

I wear blue jeans, New Balance trail running shoes, and a dark blue Super Bowl XXXVlll slouch hat. I wear a dark blue Patriots 3 Super Bowl Champs T-short. Over that I wear a #18 Randy Moss dark blue game shirt. I then wear a long-sleeved flannel shirt to keep the chill off. To top it all off, I wear a dark blue #12 Brady game shirt. They are ready and waiting for tomorrow night's State of the Union Address which starts out here at 5:15.

What superstitions do you embrace?

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!! 16-0...You CAN do it!!!
  2. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I have to be wearing my white #12 jersey and sitting in my leather recliner with my stuffed Pats ball. My wife will be on the couch to my left, wearing her Pats hoodie, and my sis-in-law on the couch to my right with her Pats t-shirt. And my newborn son gets pimped out in his Pats onesie and pants.

I used to be a little crazier (not peeing until halftime, for instance) but now I just go at commercial breaks. :D
  3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    None whatsoever
  4. fumbrunner

fumbrunner Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Pats cap, Bruschi Jersey and my daughter with her Brady jersey. Nothing out of the ordinary
  5. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

LOL! I've been wearing my off. Bruschi jersey with the same Red Sox shirt underneath it and a Red Sox hat since preseason Game 1. Neither the shirt nor the jersey have been washed this fall/winter. The only times I didn't wear the Red Sox shirt was for the Eagles and Ravens game...so now I have to wear the same things until the season ends (with a SB win).

Oh and my buddies and I get a 5th (sometimes more :D ) of Doctor and pass it around after a Pats TD or FG (and sometimes after a sack if they haven't scored in a while).
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I refuse to be one of those fans, and here's why:

There are millions of fans, all with their own superstitions. Unless I'm the only "real" person here, and everyone else is just a simulation or a dream (which I admit is a distinct philosophical possibility), why should my behavior affect the outcome any more or less than somebody else's?
  7. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

haha, ibe been wearing my 39 and 12 jerseys....im pretty sure at random...

and thats the only one, and when the pats were doing pretty badly in the games, and i got frustrated, i would take which ever shirt i had on, off....

and then the pats would win, LOL

(ie, boys, colts, ravens, eagles)
  8. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    You've likely seen this...

http://www.simulation-argument.com/computer.pdf

Me, I like the subroutine where I have the Patriots Dynasty going exponential. Stay tuned.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, as a computer programmer with a strong interest in physics (I could have just said nerd), I've been very interested in the theory of digital physics (or perhaps it's a philosophy, since not being testable precludes it from being a theory). Especially the idea that the universe may behave as turing-complete computer based on the cellular automata model of computation. Actually, whether the universe is a computer isn't as interesting to me as whether it behaves like a computer, even if nobody built it for the express purpose of computation, since it would lead to all sorts of consequences, like the halting problem (another way of saying that there's no way to know how the universe will behave, except by actually running it and seeing the results).

Of course The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy may be the real impetus for me being interested in all of this.
  10. Patriotic

Patriotic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You just jinxed the Pats by writing that.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A friend of mine is still mildly pissed at me because at halftime during the AFC Championship game last year, I said that the Pats were going to the Super Bowl. Of course we know how that turned out.

And yet I still refuse to take any blame for it, the Pats lost because the Colts played better than them in the second half, not because of what I said.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  12. Patriotic

Patriotic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So now you've jinxed the Pats two years in a row.
  13. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey

Another philosophy of interest, also applicable here is Hugh Everett's Many Worlds explanation of quantum mechanics and the photon-slit interference experiment. In Hugh's explanation every time a quantum decision is made, the universe 'splits' with all the probable outcomes creating new universes. In that way we could be living in the set of multiverses where the Tuck Rule call was made and the Pats Dominion began, now still running. My fantasy, is that via positive thinking (a la Penrose) we can 'choose' the universe we live in. I'm very positive about the Pats SB this year. ;)
  14. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    I wear my Harrison jersey (going on 3 years without a wash however, I only wear it during a game and very careful not to spill or sweat on it) and a patriots hat. I also lay out my Pats blanket throw blanket on the couch.

Not exactly sure as to why though...
  15. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

3 years? i would have washed it at about the end of last yrs AFCCG
  16. Snake

Snake Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

My wife hangs her dark Blue Brady shirt on a door. She doesn't want to get it dirty and have to wash it. I also display my three seasons of Super Bowl pins and my Patriots flask on a book shelf for the entire season...the flask gets filled when we go to the Fox Sports Grill....don't tell anyone though...:D

I also have experienced the Patriots during a particularly bad game when I decided to take off my gear, and then they won. Happened this year during the Colts game.
  17. kmac14

kmac14 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I've been wearing my Vrabel jersey every week this season and as I got ready to leave for the game last week, my wife asked "Your wearing Vrabel again"? Had to tell her it's been on every gameday and I can't change it now.
    Also the raspberry kamikaze toast to the team prior to each game has been a long standing tradition that must continue.
  18. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I wont even begin to start listing my rituals...lol- Couple of staples this season are my silver Bruschi, and my 1-year old son's Blue Brady, and Patriots Sippy cup.
  19. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ahh, I love QM, at least what I'm able to understand. Your "fantasy" may be the only reasonable explanation for free will in a probabalistic universe. Otherwise, if everything is determined by a wavefunction, where do our "choices" come from?
  20. PatsDparty

PatsDparty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I used to do some stupid superstitions, especially for the red sox, but I stopped now. It pisses some of my friends off tho that I don't anymore. The best might have been my buddy sitting in the stairwell for the rest of the ALCS after dave roberts stole 2nd base in 2004.

I always hold my patriots plush football, but I think it's more to calm the nerves than superstitions. It got squeezed a lot during the Baltimore game haha.
  21. Pats_AZ

Pats_AZ Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

IT WAS YOU!!!! haha j/k

My routine (when their on here in AZ) Pats hat, Johnny walker each quarter and a glass of Macallan 18 yr after they win.
  22. baba booey

baba booey Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

We give the dog a treat after every score or defensive turnover.
  23. Tommysgirl

Tommysgirl Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

My brother lives in SoCal and announced to everyone at the very crowded bar he was at that it was over at halftime.

I hate my brother.:mad:

He is not allowed to speak anymore during games.
  24. patriotsdynasty12189

patriotsdynasty12189 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Depends. Away games I wear my Brady white jeresey. Home games I wore my blue Colvin jersey but he got hurt so I moved to the blue Vrabel jersey. I usually dont shower unless I have to do something that day on Sundays, but Saturdays I do because I have a bowling league in the morning. I usually just wear PJS with my jersey and my Pats rebok mesh hat thingy.
  25. cincipatsfan

cincipatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

My conundrum:

Wife and daughter got me a Brady authentic for Xmas. Dare I wear it and retire the SB champs Tshirt I've worn all season :confused: :confused:

I really want to wear jersey, but I don't want to create a tear in the universe :eek:
  26. Wax Frog

Wax Frog Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

At present, the closest thing for me to a superstition is to be sure to put together a "voodoo doll" for each SB. Since I even made Pats-logo pins for the first one, I thought it was funny-as-hell coincidence that BB was given an eerily similar one at the same time, now a prized possession...
  27. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

being in sd, i like to wear my blue #55 pats seau jersey and rub it into charger fans faces and remind them how rodney and junior had to go to the pats to compete for a ring. the jersey will remain unwashed until we lose, which may be never.
  28. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm almost as superstious as Bill Parcells. For instance if the bathroom light is on when the Pats are doing good it stays on. Nothing changes as long as their doing well. But there are two standard rituals that I go through before every game. One involves my wife which I can go into,the other invoves a pair of shoes. During a close game last year in which we fell behind, she came walking in to the living room with a pair of very noisey thick heeled shoes. The moment she did that the Pats intercepted a pass,and ran it back for a score.The momentom of the game swung in the Pats favour. I had her take her shoes off and placed them on top of the tv faceing the opposite direction. WE won. So when ever it gets desperate the shoes come out and on top of the tv. :D :eek:

Although I know my rituals will not determine the out come of the game it still makes me feel like i've done my part in helping them win, in some small way.
  29. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

I assume that Superbowl day superstitions will be in another thread in a month.

My only game day superstition is that, if the Pats are losing in the fourth quarter, my wife, who typically doesn't watch football on the tube, will come in and sit down next to me until the Patriots win.

You may laugh, but this has worked three times this year already. during the Indy, Eagles and Ravens games, we were behind in the Fourth Q. Each game, she came in, she sat down, we won the games. I got her a Hoodie for Christmas!!!
  30. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

I'll bet you were the first kid to tell the other kids that Santa Claus didn't exist! Bah.

BTW, there is some evidence of the power of collective thought and will directed at a cause or person, though I'm not sure I buy it...but you never know...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.