PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaffney's injury was probably going to take longer to heal than the Pats would have wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if no one picks him up until he is fully healed and the Patriots might have first dibs.

BTW, I love this thread over at Jets Insider. Half these same guys who are advocating to sign Gaffney were the same guys who were calling him a bum three weeks ago including resident homer SG3.

Jets Insider.com Forums

That does not make sense. Plenty of other stiffs remain the roster that could have been cut in lieu Jabar Gaffney.

I think the point is that Gaffney probably wasn't going to play this week due to the injury. In terms of bodies available, Ebert can get a long look with the other scrubs as they are likely to play the majority of the game. If you cut a scrub in lieu of Gaffney, who isn't going to play this week, you potentially put another player out there for unnecessary wear and tear.

Last edited:
It was there for us to see. I took a lot of crap for suggesting that Gaffney looked frustrated and flat; and he should be worried about Edelman at his heels. Gaffney has not performed in camp, has not performed in games. The best thing he had going for him was history with the system and big numbers last year. But since when has Belichick ever been sentimental?

Not a lot of home run hitting, game breakers on this offense. Stallworth and Gaffney at least offered something in that department. Outside of Lloyd, what regular has that take it to the house ability?

I agree with others that Demps can put that fear into defenses on few plays per game and has more long term upside.

makes sense to me......brady never like him all that much as a target the first time around......he just may not fit

also, I think what demps showed last weekend may have shaken up more than just the RB group.....I really think that between welker, lloyd, and branch, that they are going to commit to getting younger guys into the mix more......thye already have enough 31 year old WR's on the team.

That statement couldn't be more wrong

That does not make sense. Plenty of other stiffs remain the roster that could have been cut in lieu Jabar Gaffney.

Exactly. If you followed the camp reports once the pads went on Gaffney and Stallworth really started to lose ground. Weren't getting open, weren't being targeted, and when Stallworth was he started dropping balls. Branch bounced back healthy from a lot of use last season. Bill held him out early because he knows what Branch is and can do. Wanted to gauge what the other two still could. Didn't see enough to justify roster spots. And Gaffney got dinged up last week.

Add in lloyd and Brady are still a work in progress chemistry wise. Same reason Woodhead isn't going anywhere. Youth and/or old pals and even speed are all well and good, but Brady is going to be running a lot of up tempo again to tire out the pass rush and you can't run it unless everyone is in synch. Gaffney could be back in a few weeks if a roster spot opens up and/or Bill is satisfied with the pace and performance of the offense and he is healthy. But for now he needs what he trusts and so does Brady.

Remember, both Gaffney and Stallworth were cut by Washington and based on their deals not persued terribly agressively and not all that interested in marketing themselves as more than potentially comfortable old shoes back where they felt most at ease as 4th and 5th WR options. Once upon a time Bill believed Stallworth might be something, he wasn't - a #1 or #2. He never really felt that way about JAB or he wouldn't have let him walk away over half a mil a year.

If Lloyd puts up 8-900+ yards and Branch chips in with 5-600, that's the several hundred alternative yards they were missing last season with Ocho. Even if the TE's and Welker don't quite rack up the yardage they did last season, and they may well as a group just divided a little differently with Hernandez topping a thousand and Gronk coming back to earth a tad. Ebert got a late start on OTA's and camp, but Bedard was singing his praises pre camp based on college film and being a more polished receiver than Edleman as a rookie, so he could chip in some, too. One or the other of Stallworth or Gaffney might have really helped last season. This season, no so much.

Count me in the hate column.

I can see it now.

Collinsworth: "Since Brandon Lloyd went down with the injury.....defenses have been able to clog the middle of the field without a real threat outside the numbers..... Defenses are just sitting in short zones in the middle of the field taking a way Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez.

They better sign another receiver that can be a real threat......and don't give me Edelman or Branch

Some of you apparently still don't get it. Not just any WR can be a real threat in this system, no matter how tall or how fast. Have to fully grasp it to be of any real use.

makes sense to me......brady never like him all that much as a target the first time around......he just may not fit

also, I think what demps showed last weekend may have shaken up more than just the RB group.....I really think that between welker, lloyd, and branch, that they are going to commit to getting younger guys into the mix more......thye already have enough 31 year old WR's on the team.

He loved Jabar. It was Stallworth he never really connected with. Played as the #2 here like a fish out of water. That was why JAB eventually passed him. In his prime Stallworth was a run under the ball WR, when not battling a hammy. He had lost more than a step according to most reports and even his own admission. Then there were the drops and the misses. Jab just had a meh camp. Not aweful but just didn't show much.

Demps and Ebert will take time. Bill isn't going to play guys as raw as Demps who also puts the ball on the ground too much and is a liability as a blocker. He'll get worked in on gadget plays and ST. Probably same with Ebert if he sticks. They have some potential trade off function the two old vets didn't.

Last edited:
On the bright side I guess (hope!) this means that WWW is safe for this year.

So much for that wide receiver depth discussed at great lengths back in March:

Gaffney
Stallworth
Gonzalez
Ochocinco

Hopefully we've seen the last of the trade Welker threads as a result.

On the bright side I guess (hope!) this means that WWW is safe for this year.

Good to see you back PatJew, but haven't you heard? Welker is getting traded.

yeah...and we're signing T.O.!!!

Gaa Gaa Gaa!!!

I'm glad. It's time we developed a Victor Cruz or two.

Sorry that it didn't work out for Gaffney, I had high hopes at first like everybody here. But even before this news I hesitated over putting his name on my roster. Partially just a hunch from how invisible he's been in camp, but partially based on the roster makeup.

How much are your 4th & 5th WRs worth in a lineup where you can essentially go 4 wide with only 2 "wide receivers"? (Welker + Lloyd + Hernandez + Vereen/Demps/Woodhead.) Then factor in that Edelman would have to be a gameday active as the primary punt returner, and thus WR4.

If you're going to keep an inactive 5th WR, a cheap and promising rookie like Ebert does seem like a more logical long-term choice than a mid-priced over-30 vet.

Sorry that it didn't work out for Gaffney, I had high hopes at first like everybody here. But even before this news I hesitated over putting his name on my roster. Partially just a hunch from how invisible he's been in camp, but partially based on the roster makeup.

How much are your 4th & 5th WRs worth in a lineup where you can essentially go 4 wide with only 2 "wide receivers"? (Welker + Lloyd + Hernandez + Vereen/Demps/Woodhead.) Then factor in that Edelman would have to be a gameday active as the primary punt returner, and thus WR4.

If you're going to keep an inactive 5th WR, a cheap and promising rookie like Ebert does seem like a more logical long-term choice than a mid-priced over-30 vet.

I disagree, and I'd like to cite the injury to a man-child by the name of Gronkowski in last season's Super Bowl as exhibit "a". Then again, I'm considering this season's Super Bowl as long-term for purposes of this discussion. ;)

Some of you apparently still don't get it. Not just any WR can be a real threat in this system, no matter how tall or how fast. Have to fully grasp it to be of any real use.

No....I get it just fine (I agree with you)

Gaffney was one of Brady's favorite WR's in 06 & 07. Brady trusts him. He also has some skill apparently. He had a great year with a $hitty QB last year.

My guess is he comes back once he's healed up. The injury must be worst than we thought.

disappointed to hear this. However, I'm intrigued to see what Ebert's fture is here, whether he makes the roster or just gets signed to the PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News