PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
More straw men. You didn't address a single point that I actually made, so I'm going to go ahead and take that as a tacit acknowledgement that you'd rather take a few more laps around a nonexistent argument than actually contribute to the discussion. Count me out.

Also, nobody ever said that the 2012 WRs are just like the 2011 safeties. You made that one up all by yourself, and I already addressed it multiple times. See:

Your consistent failure at reading comprehension and reliance on straw men makes it very difficult to take your posts seriously.

What do you want me to answer? Why are constantly arguing that a possession WR like Gaffney is a deep threat just because he can catch the occasional deep ball?

Also, I didn't see the post you reference. But you constantly compared the two situation even though they are nothing alike whether you think they are exactly the same.

Last edited:
2011: 6 out of 68 rec
2010: 6 out of 65
2009: 7 out of 54
2008: 2 out of 38
2007: 6 out of 36
TOT (last 5 years): 27 out of 261 (10.3%)

Compare that to a "true" deep threat, like Mike Wallace:

2011: 9 out of 72
2010: 14 out of 60
2009: 12 out of 39
TOT: 35 out of 171 (20.5%)

Or to Desean Jackson:

2011: 9 out of 58
2010: 12 out of 47
2009: 10 out of 62
2008: 10 out of 62
TOT: 41 out of 229 (17.9%)

Or even less-heralded Johnny Knox:

2011: 8 out of 37
2010: 9 out of 51
2009: 7 out of 45
TOT: 24 out of 133 (18.0%)

Btw, if you look at catches over 30 yards for Gaffney, it even more telling of what kind of deep threat he is:

2011 - 2
2010 - 2
2009 - 0
2008 - 0
2007 - 1

Total: 5 catch in five years

And the other guy:

Mike Wallace

2011 - 8
2010 - 11
2009 - 6

Total: 25 in three years

DeSean Jackson
2011 - 8
2010 - 7
2009 - 9
2008 -1

Total: 25 catches in four years

Johnny Knox

2011 - 3
2010 - 4
2009 - 2

Total: 9 in three years

I would consider a deep threat WR being able to catch balls over 30 yards and Gaffney seriously lacks in this area. Both Jackson and Wallace have catch more 30 plus yard passes in a single season (except Jackson's rookie year) Gaffney has from 2007-2011.

Last edited:
Btw, if you look at catches over 30 yards for Gaffney, it even more telling of what kind of deep threat he is:

2011 - 2
2010 - 2
2009 - 0
2008 - 0
2007 - 1

Total: 5 catch in five years

And the other guy:

Mike Wallace

2011 - 8
2010 - 11
2009 - 6

Total: 25 in three years

DeSean Jackson
2011 - 8
2010 - 7
2009 - 9
2008 -1

Total: 25 catches in 5 years

Johnny Knox

2011 - 3
2010 - 4
2009 - 2

Total: 9 in three years

I would consider a deep threat WR being able to catch balls over 30 yards and Gaffney seriously lacks in this area.

I was trying to be as generous towards Gaffney as I possibly could without abusing the data.

I was trying to be as generous towards Gaffney as I possibly could without abusing the data.

That's fair. But if we are talking about talking about Gaffney as a deep threat, you need to judge him as a deep threat. A deep threat must at least give opposing defenses the fear that he will catch a 30-50 yard bomb. Gaffney provides no such fear because he can't do it. I don't know if you can be considered a deep threat if you can't catch a long bomb at least 4-6 times a season (possibly more if you are a starter).

To me, catching in 21-30 yards range is borderline intermediate/deep. You catch a 21 yard pass, it ain't really a deep pass. You catch a 30 yard one, it can be considered that.

Last edited:
BTW, I hate doing this because I don't want to discredit Gaffney because I really like him, but let's call him what he is - a possession WR, not a deep threat. I hope he does come back after week 1, but I don't think this team is in trouble without him.

I am record that I think he will re-sign after the first week some time.

But why is Holley here and Gaffney not?

BB threw a bone to his Patriot Reign buddy

But why is Holley here and Gaffney not?

Holley will not be on the 53 man roster. He will be cut in the final cuts and possibly be on the practice squad. You don't release the guys you might want to keep on the practice squad until after the final game because you want to giv e them a final try out in that game.

Because Gaffney was injured and hadn't been playing. Sort of simple.

BB threw a bone to his Patriot Reign buddy

Michael Holley threatened to write a book about what he really saw when he gave all access and he threatened to answer every Spygate nut's biggest question - Who is Ernie Adams and what does he do for the team. :D

That's fair. But if we are talking about talking about Gaffney as a deep threat, you need to judge him as a deep threat. A deep threat must at least give opposing defenses the fear that he will catch a 30-50 yard bomb. Gaffney provides no such fear because he can't do it. I don't know if you can be considered a deep threat if you can't catch a long bomb at least 4-6 times a season.

To me, catching in 21-30 yards range is borderline intermediate/deep. You catch a 21 yard pass, it ain't really a deep pass. You catch a 30 yard one, it can be considered that.

I don't disagree. I think he's more of a deep threat than Edelman, but he's not exactly a quality replacement for Lloyd in terms of that.

So now we seem to have demonstrated that Gaffney's true value to the Patriots would have been simply as adding a pretty solid all-around receiver to the WR corps. Ok, fine. That's a nice thing to have. But the Patriots as a whole have per needs too. And they have *plenty* of quality receiving options that include the WRs *and* TEs. If Gaffney doesn't really provide great *deep threat* depth, then maybe the Pats can better use that money and roster spot on a different player (I.e., Demps, a four TE, whatever).

But oops....there I go again, bringing other positions into the discussion of the Gaffney cut. Shame on me.

Or because he was healthy and could actually play.

One more than Gaffney was making sitting in the trainer's room week after week.

Jesse "I quit on the route with the game on the line" Holley would be a perfect wide receiver for the NY Jets!

One more than Gaffney was making sitting in the trainer's room week after week.
As far as i know gaffney has never been injury prone, on the other hand who the hell is this immortal Jesse Holley your so high on? Seems like some sub jag

Last edited:
As far as i know gaffney has never been injury prone, on the other hand who the hell is this immortal Holley your so high on? Seems like some sub jag

Mr. Fourth and Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey