PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why? Now were back to old man Branch, Eldelman :mad:, Slater :rolleyes:, Holley, and Ebert.

I disagree, and I'd like to cite the injury to a man-child by the name of Gronkowski in last season's Super Bowl as exhibit "a". Then again, I'm considering this season's Super Bowl as long-term for purposes of this discussion. ;)

Don't you think that's actually an argument for keeping Shiancoe over Gaffney? If your standard formation is 2 TEs 2 WRs and you have RBs with WR-like receiving skills, a 4th TE should be at least as valuable as a 5th WR.

Don't you think that's actually an argument for keeping Shiancoe over Gaffney? If your standard formation is 2 TEs 2 WRs and you have RBs with WR-like receiving skills, a 4th TE should be at least as valuable as a 5th WR.

No, because they've already got the TE3 covered with Fells (or Schiancoe, depending on which they keep). A 4th TE wouldn't be needed in the scenario. However, if Lloyd goes down, this team is back to last year's problem, with no middle-deep threat.

Anyone lobbying for Nate Ebner to switch to WR?? :rocker:

No, because they've already got the TE3 covered with Fells (or Schiancoe, depending on which they keep). A 4th TE wouldn't be needed in the scenario. However, if Lloyd goes down, this team is back to last year's problem, with no middle-deep threat.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any point in the past month when Gaffney actually looked like a middle-deep threat. If he did, he would have been WR3, not WR5.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any point in the past month when Gaffney actually looked like a middle-deep threat. If he did, he would have been WR3, not WR5.

Quad injuries, like hamstring injuries, can significantly impair WRs. I don't know if that's the only reason for the move, but it certainly didn't help.

Last edited:
my guess is that the inj to gaffney is not healing the way it should... and they needed to cut him before week 1... i think he may be back.. i dont like the depth at wr.... brandon lloyd is not randy moss where he can stretch the field.. but he is a upgrade over ochostinko...

But why? Now were back to old man Branch, Eldelman :mad:, Slater :rolleyes:, Holley, and Ebert.

People were to ecstatic over the Hernandez signing. He had to do something to balance i out.

Belichick giveth, and Belichick taketh away.

Lloyd might not be moss, but he is a WR who can stretch the field, and more importantly play the sidelines...he lead the league in yards with guys like Tebow throwing him the ball

I dont like the cut for depth reasons...it doesnt make sense to me. gaffney is coming off his best season of his career...if Lloyd or welker goes down we are stuck with Branch and a bunch of scrubs...

Branch is a good #3 guy, but i dont want him to be our #2 guy ever again....I thought the whole reason we reloaded this summer at WR is because our offense was far too dependent on the short throw and Welker/gronk last year....once Gronk went down and was limited our offense struggled badly in the superbowl.

but, well see...I trust belichick..maybe he hasnt been performing as expected

Last edited:
my guess is that the inj to gaffney is not healing the way it should... and they needed to cut him before week 1... i think he may be back.. i dont like the depth at wr.... brandon lloyd is not randy moss where he can stretch the field.. but he is a upgrade over ochostinko...

The depth at WR is very scary, especially considering that Lloyd is very injury prone. We're all excited to have him, but the guy has not been the most durable player throughout his career.

I disagree, and I'd like to cite the injury to a man-child by the name of Gronkowski in last season's Super Bowl as exhibit "a". Then again, I'm considering this season's Super Bowl as long-term for purposes of this discussion. ;)

The team did not have Brandon Lloyd last year. I hope he is a big upgrade on Ocho which is some insurance if Gronk goes down. Let see if Gaffney actually gets picked up in the next week. He would be a good guy for the shadow roster.

The depth at WR is very scary, especially considering that Lloyd is very injury prone. We're all excited to have him, but the guy has not been the most durable player throughout his career.
Deion Branch hasn't been the picture of perfect health either.

I dont like the cut for depth reasons...it doesnt make sense to me. gaffney is coming off his best season of his career

Not really. You could say he's coming off his most productive season, but that's primarily because of the Redskin's lack of other receiving options, especially when Santana Moss was hurt. This got him targeted with more passes, despite him not catching any higher a percentage of them than usual, or averaging more yards on them.

Not sure if this has been talked about but you have to think about the gameday active roster when building a 53 man roster IMO. If the coaches saw that Branch had beat out Gaffney for the #3 spot, Gaffney is a #4 WR that doesn't have special teams value. With Slater and Edelman locks to play each week, that's 5 WRs right there. There's no way we can activate 6 WRs, considering the multiple TE looks we want to use each week. Do you keep Gaffney to be an inactive every week, or do you try to get a young player you can develop on the roster?

Shhhh... there's no sense in applying logic in this thread. Just accept the Pats are now screwed.

This is what the knee jerk reaction thread was supposed to be.

Taylor is not on the roster because he is better than Gaffney. He is on the roster because he is healthier than Gaffney and we have a game Wed.

I don't expect Taylor to make the 53. He's likely here as a body for the Giants game and perhaps goes to the practice squad.
Looking at the cuts - Extra Points - Boston.com

Look for Gaffney to return.

Last edited:

If Lloyd goes down, the Pats will just have to make do with the Welker/Gronk/Hernandez/Branch combo with which they had one of the best offenses in the league las season. In today's NFL, you can't really expect any better depth than that.

Maybe Gaffney stays on if he's not hurt, and maybe he gets resigned when he gets healthy, but for now, it really just doesn't make sense to use a roster spot on an injured 4th-or-5th stringer who even when healthy doesn't have a lot ST value.

If Lloyd goes down, the Pats will just have to make do with the Welker/Gronk/Hernandez/Branch combo with which they had one of the best offenses in the league las season. In today's NFL, you can't really expect any better depth than that.

:confused:

They just had better depth than that.

Maybe Gaffney stays on if he's not hurt, and maybe he gets resigned when he gets healthy, but for now, it really just doesn't make sense to use a roster spot on an injured 4th-or-5th stringer who even when healthy doesn't have a lot ST value.

It's setting up for him to return, but I have to evaluate based upon the known (or at least anticipated and supported) information. So, as of right now, I have to put this down as another suspect decision.

:confused:

They just had better depth than that.

Well, sure. But when you have to trim 18 players off your roster, you're going to lose a little depth.

It's setting up for him to return, but I have to evaluate based upon the known (or at least anticipated and supported) information. So, as of right now, I have to put this down as another suspect decision.

You really don't have to. What's known, right now, is that Gaffney hasn't been able to practice for the last couple weeks. The Pats need receivers who aren't Lloyd, Branch or Welker to play the majority of snaps in the last preseason game.

Meanwhile, receiver isn't the only place where the Pats lack depth - so if the pats don't want to lose Gaffney, they've got to cut someone else -- preferably a veteran who doesn't have to clear waivers, and better yet, an injured veteran who isn't likely to get signed anywhere else until healthy. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down