PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ellis Hobbs: A+ today

Status
Not open for further replies.
He covers better than Hobbs, particularly the long ball, where Hobbs is consistently toast. Are you watching?

Okay, so when you said that he IS "behind' Willhite and Wheatley, you didn't mean in any kind of official depth-chart type of way... you meant in your opinion? Sorry, you made it sound like he was officially listed below those two on the depth chart. And yes, I am watching. I see a lot from Hobbs I don't like from time to time.

even though the RCB has the tougher job.

How so? I could be wr-wr-wr-mistaken, but I believed the LCB is the one that lines up against the Z receiver, typically the best receiver on the opposing offense. However, in the Patriots defense, that doesn't mean the LCB is the #1 and the RCB is the #2, since Belichick doesn't have his DBs switch sides very often.

Deltha O'Neal...... benched
Wilhite..... left on inactive squad
Hobbs...... #1 CB all season

Those facts seem to be pretty objective from a fan standpoint.

Historical facts. You are living in the past. Wilhite was a rooking whose trajectory is sharply increasing and who now starts. Hobbs has great attitude, great on run support, good closing on short routes, and lacks the hip swivel to turn and run deep with NFL receivers. But never mind if some players are off limits to criticism.

Hobbs is still the team's #1 corner. Your argument is still wrong. It has nothing to do with being off limits to criticism and everything to do with your criticism being inaccurate, since he's not behind Wilhite as you asserted.

Last edited:
Hobbs was excellent today. Fitzgerald is an incredible receiver and Ellis pretty much shut him down today. IMO the long pass looked like a blown coverage where Slater was supposed to be over the top. It did not look like man as much as a trail technique on the WR but the safety never got over.

Hobbs gave up a 70+ yd TD pass when the Cards offense were basically giving up and Lienart was the QB. Fitzgerald isn't known as a blazing speed type of WR but still managed to get by Hobbs and outran him.

Also, Hobbs celebrating when the receiver drops the ball and NOT because of anything Hobbs did to prevent the completion is funny on so many levels.

The guy is a good kickoff returner.

Deltha O'Neal...... benched
Wilhite..... left on inactive squad
Hobbs...... #1 CB all season

Those facts seem to be pretty objective from a fan standpoint.

Wilhite wasn't inactive. And if he was, we sure pulled a fast one on the Cards b/c he got a tackle and everything!

Last edited:
Wilhite wasn't inactive. And if he was, we sure pulled a fast one on the Cards b/c he got a tackle and everything!

I wasn't claiming that he was inactive for today's game, just that he's been inactive this season. The poster's argument was that Hobbs is behind him, and I was pointing out some obvious facts.

This. My friends and I do the Ellis-Dance on Sundays when completing routine plays in the house (successfully getting a beer, answering the phone, etc.) It gets funner the more we drink.

Must make the house work more enjoyable.:D

Hobbs remains unappreciated by the dilletant fans who don't really understand the game. He's a decent NFL starting corner back and a very good KR.

Didnt you get the memo? You're not allowed to like Hobbs in this forum. :rolleyes:

Although, I wouldnt give Hobbs an a+, I would say an A-, or B+ would be fine. He was covering Fitzgerald, who is one of the best in the league. No matter what the grade, I'm on Hobbs' side.......oh, but Ellis, stop dancing :D

A+, im puking in my mouth as this is written... loved it when he got beat for 75yds....

Also, Hobbs celebrating when the receiver drops the ball and NOT because of anything Hobbs did to prevent the completion is funny on so many levels.

That does drive me friggin' bonkers.

This is subjective assertion and yours is no better than mine. As I have said, let's see some facts to back it up. I propose that Hobbs is awful with his back to the ball and gives up a lions share of big plays. The facts will either confirm or refute this asssertion.

Why bother? You've proven that your opinion is impervious to facts and dispassionate observation.

Hobbs was excellent today. Fitzgerald is an incredible receiver and Ellis pretty much shut him down today. IMO the long pass looked like a blown coverage where Slater was supposed to be over the top. It did not look like man as much as a trail technique on the WR but the safety never got over.

That's how it looked to me too, but the Hobbs haters just need someone to hate and no matter how good Hobbs plays they will always claim he sucks. These are the same people who think Hobbs is responsible for covering a RB just because he was closest in the picture when the reception was made (Davenport).

Hobbs is a damn fine CB, period.

I've always been a Hobbs supporter. I know he's had his moments of giving up some big plays, but I will always stand by my belief that he is a great number 2, and serviceable number 1 corner in the NFL. As we all know watching games on tv it's very tough to watch how well (or poorly) your defensive backs are playing. Today was my annual one game that I went to, and as I recently traded for Larry Fitzgerald on my fantasy team, and had him playing in my title game, I paid close attention to him during the game. Now, I will say I have no idea who was on him on his td, as two of the ppl I went with had to drive 90 miles back home in the weather, so we left early (first time ever in a regular season game leaving early). But, Hobbs was ALL OVER Fitzy all day long. An absolute outstanding effort put in by Ellis today going up against one of the best receivers in the game.

Too bad that you didn't stick around to see Hobbs get burned - again - on a long pass down the sidelines. If I were an OC, I would throw that same route at least once on every series, because it would be good for either a completion or a PI call. How in the world does he allow Fitzgerald to outrun him when he should be in a coverage designed to prevent the long ball? Then again, Meriweather also was caught with his pants - or feet - down too close to the box to recover.

As a #3 Dime/Slot CB and #1 KO Returner, Hobbs is Pro-Bowl caliber; as a #2 CB, he is passable, I suppose; as a #1 CB, however, he is simply inadequate for a team with legit SB aspirations. That's not "hating", that's just the way I see him - no more, no less.

Hobbs remains unappreciated by the dilletant fans who don't really understand the game. He's a decent NFL starting corner back and a very good KR.

I was a season ticket holder when the starting corners were Fred Marion and Ronnie Lippet, that was bad team but a good backfield. Ellis Hobbles is a very bad #1 corner, he is a bad #2 corner. Consistency is not his strong suit, unless consistently giving up big plays makes his a #1.

Ellis is a nice player, a good kick returner and maybe a good nickle, but he shouldn't be trying to cover a #1 or #2 WR on a regular basis. A starting CB like Ellis lets a WR beat him by 10 yards in the Super Bowl, and does that stupid dance every time he makes a tackle 25 yards down field.

I was a season ticket holder when the starting corners were Fred Marion and Ronnie Lippet, that was bad team but a good backfield. Ellis Hobbles is a very bad #1 corner, he is a bad #2 corner. Consistency is not his strong suit, unless consistently giving up big plays makes his a #1.

Marion was one my all-time favorites. I was a kid at the time but remember him as being a pretty big, physical and intimidating player. After loss of many brain cells over the years, I've remembered him as a Safety. Not too many Corners around like that anymore it seems.

Last edited:
That's how it looked to me too, but the Hobbs haters just need someone to hate and no matter how good Hobbs plays they will always claim he sucks. These are the same people who think Hobbs is responsible for covering a RB just because he was closest in the picture when the reception was made (Davenport).

Hobbs is a damn fine CB, period.

I will admit, as a fan, you sometimes need one player on your favorite team to hate. Just in case you need a scapegoat from time to time. I used to hate Faulk so much, now he's one of my favorite players.
I'll never forget that fumble on the backwards pass against the packers in 02 though.

obligatory hobbs gettin burnt post

NFL Video Galleries

LOL. I tell you one thing, Hobbs is pretty good at making memorable, I got burned plays. Did you see the stiff arm Fitzgerald used to shrug him aside like a rag doll I'll admit that Fitzgerald is a great wide receiver who is hard for anybody to cover, but Hobbs was completely beaten on that play.

If Hobbs were pushed down to #2 corner or nickel corner on the depth chart, I'd be a lot more comfortable. Wilhite has looked good so far, I don't know about Wheatley. It would be nice to get a nonmidget DB but anyone who is an improvement would be nice.

Oh yes, Hobbs biggest redeeming quality is his kick returns. But that does not improve his coverage skills a whit. Let's keep that separate please.

CB critcs forget that other teams' QBs actually throw touchdown passes! Yes, they really do. And that means that your team's DBs get victimized. It's inherent to the nature of the sport. Why football fans act as if this is some kind of anomaly is perplexing.

If a DB is constantly torched, e.g. Duane Starks, that's one thing but geting beat even happened to Mike Haynes.

I've always been a Hobbs supporter. I know he's had his moments of giving up some big plays, but I will always stand by my belief that he is a great number 2, and serviceable number 1 corner in the NFL. As we all know watching games on tv it's very tough to watch how well (or poorly) your defensive backs are playing. Today was my annual one game that I went to, and as I recently traded for Larry Fitzgerald on my fantasy team, and had him playing in my title game, I paid close attention to him during the game. Now, I will say I have no idea who was on him on his td, as two of the ppl I went with had to drive 90 miles back home in the weather, so we left early (first time ever in a regular season game leaving early). But, Hobbs was ALL OVER Fitzy all day long. An absolute outstanding effort put in by Ellis today going up against one of the best receivers in the game.
Even as a Charger fan I have respect for Hobbs. Dude is a gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft